110gr Sierra Varminter HP

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Re: 110gr Sierra Varminter HP

Post by talonxracer »

Not a fan of the Nosler 125BT's at all, I have 1 3/4 boxes if you are interested.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
Alien
Silent Operator

Post by Alien »

I have this 1lb Lil Gun powder if you want to trade. I have loaded about 50 blackout rounds with it, I do not like it and have nothing else to load with it.

They would not group or what?
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

Not really looking for any lil'gun, but I am looking for 8208XBR or 4198.

I couldn't get a tight enough group to save my life! LOL, but remember I am shooting them from my 13" Encore and going for accuracy. With the boat tail there is so little room to adjust the seating depth to get the bullet anywhere near the lands. I am loading the Barnes 110g Tac-Tx to a COL of 2.368" now and getting single hole 5 shot groups at 100 yards that are less than 1/2" in outside dia.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

Alien wrote:Yeah, I have wanted to try the Nosler 125's but can not find them. I am on like 6 notifies since Feb. and nothing yet.

Did not have a very good day at the range! I cleaned my dies before I started this set and apparently my seating die set ring is loose. I noticed when I went to put the 19.6 gr Lil Gun loads in my clip that the necks had been squashed down a little, not much but enough to not try them since it was the 19.6.... Did not see it on any other loads, just the one. Looks like my seating die went to far down and was over crimping. I set it up for the 1.361 with no crimp and use a separate Lee FCD, have not checked it out yet. But here are the results for the other loads in 110 Varminter.

These numbers do not make sense, my pro chrono might not liked sitting out in the direct sun light for so long.

16" 1 in 7 Carbine Optics Burris AR-536

Temp was 95 elevation 86.4 Distance to target was 100 Yards.

20gr 300-MP OAL 1.938 Comp 1.542 5 shot string

High 2306
Low2225
Average 2274
ES 81
SD 37
I have never had ES SD numbers like this from 300-mp... I guess the outside temp was high enough to affect it or the chrono one of the two or both.
Only 4 fired last round hosed, pushed the bullet way down and put a very large burr on the side of the case half way up from the base??????? The tip probably hung on the mag my guess. (Too short) All 12 of my test loads from 18.5 to 19.8 of 300-mp shot prior to the 20 gr worked great, they where loaded in threes.

19gr Lil Gun OAL 2.011 Comp 1.615 5 Shot String

High 2335
Low 2279
Average 2307
ES 56
SD 19

Left Target is 19.0 and Right is 19.2

19.2 Lil Gun OAL 2.011 Comp 1.615 5 Shot String

High 2372
Low 2109
Average 2224
ES 263 ???
SD 107 ???
With these numbers you would think that I was lucky to even hit the paper, but the group was not that bad.

19.4 Lil Gun OAL 2.011 Comp 1.615 5 Shot String

High 2351
Low 2150
Average 2258
ES 201 ???
SD 96 ???

The only set that looks normal is the 19 grain Lil Gun, even with the crazy numbers on the chrono the bullets are pretty accurate indeed. Groups probably would have been tighter by a better shooter than myself.

I need a drink now, Crown and 7 is calling my name. I am glad I caught the bad loads they probably would not have chambered but still. I have reloaded for 30 years now and I let that get to the range before catching it. :oops:
Fixed links to show images
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.
Alien
Silent Operator

Post by Alien »

talonxracer wrote:Not really looking for any lil'gun, but I am looking for 8208XBR or 4198.

I couldn't get a tight enough group to save my life! LOL, but remember I am shooting them from my 13" Encore and going for accuracy. With the boat tail there is so little room to adjust the seating depth to get the bullet anywhere near the lands. I am loading the Barnes 110g Tac-Tx to a COL of 2.368" now and getting single hole 5 shot groups at 100 yards that are less than 1/2" in outside dia.
Nice! I will never be able to pull that off with my optics and me behind them.

Thanks MS for fixing the links!

Do not have either of those powders. Can't find the TAC-TX either. I have around 200 of the TSX-TX since everybody has those in stock but they are sensitive to seating depth and I can not get them to group better than 1.5". (still trying though) I have some N110 that I am going to try with them next.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

Yeah the TTSX's really like being .050" off the lands for them to offer up their best accuracy and that spec isn't stock mag friendly. 1-2" groups at 100 yards is acceptable to most, but they are capable of better accuracy with just removing some rib material in the mag, I have 2 Lancer 10 rounders for hunting/bench shooting(made my own internal 5rd limiter) and removed approx. .045" from each rib(basically a 762x40WT mag), allows for seating the bullet out further for the tangent ogive bullets.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

I have noticed a lot of peoples ES numbers are high with lil gun when using 19+ grains. I go 19 and below and they go back down. I do not have these problems with h110/w296 but my loads with lil gun are still accurate despite the ES numbers. And if I use 19+ grains of lil gun my velocities don't average out to any higher then 19 and below. lil gun is a hell of a lot easier to measure in my lyman setup then that fine stuff in h110/w296 as well.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
Alien
Silent Operator

Post by Alien »

steven11b wrote:I have noticed a lot of peoples ES numbers are high with lil gun when using 19+ grains. I go 19 and below and they go back down. I do not have these problems with h110/w296 but my loads with lil gun are still accurate despite the ES numbers. And if I use 19+ grains of lil gun my velocities don't average out to any higher then 19 and below. lil gun is a hell of a lot easier to measure in my lyman setup then that fine stuff in h110/w296 as well.
I agree, some of the loads I have loaded with LG have been really accurate. If you look at the targets almost everyone of the LG's the first two shots are touching and then they open up next few shots. I would use LG if it just did not produces so much heat, that is also part of the chrono numbers with LG, most people when running the chrono shoot what ever they have loaded pretty quickly through the chrono and the barrel gets hot, and then the fps goes up and makes the numbers not so good.

I think LG would be the perfect powder to use for supers in a bolt gun but not in an AR. If your family and friends are like mine, if and when I let them shoot my AR everyone of them thinks you have to empty the clip in 3 seconds like it is a rule or something. So I want be using the LG for plinking rounds. Maybe if I let them shoot my Mosin Nagant with my hunting loads before they shoot the AR I would be okay :lol:
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.
Alien
Silent Operator

Post by Alien »

Okay, Okay! My bad, empty the magazine in 3 seconds. :shock: