My left hand 300 Blackout bolt gun

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

My left hand 300 Blackout bolt gun

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Everything is pretty much done now except for the muzzle brake and whether it will wear a camoflage paint job. It is going to be a bench or prone only gun with the left handed action.

The action is a Savage short action with a modified Accutrigger. I also added a thrust bearing to the cocking mechanism to smooth the bolt lift.
The barrel is a 8 twist barrel built on a 416SS Green Mountain barrel blank that is 16.5" long and .920" OD with the muzzle threaded 5/8-24.
The stock is a Boyds "Tacticool" stock that started life as a right handed stock then I cut the left side for the left handed action.
The scope is a 6-18 Simmons Whitetail Expedition that is a temporary scope for accuracy testing. I think it will eventually wear a Nikon P22 scope because the turrets match my subsonic loads out to 150 yards. Or I might even add irons like I did for my wife's 45 ACP Savage.
Hoping to do some accuracy testing tomorrow.

My next project will be a Striker in 300 Blackout.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: My left hand 300 Blackout bolt gun

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Any plans to do any other exotic 300BLKs? Something like a lever action or a pump?

I know it's a stretch to do lever or pump since there aren't many/any Browning BLR's and/or Remington Model 7615P's just lying round as project guns. Not to mention the custom barrel work that would be needed.

I've got a "not so typical" project underway but I need to find some time to go shoot the rifle in it's original configuration before I go overhauling it. Anyhow I figured I would ask :)
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

I do, and embrace, odd projects. I do stuff that people ask "why".

Here is my Cricket Hunter pistol:
I used a Green Mountain barrel blank and cut it to just over 4", chambered it and threaded it for that suppressor. It is slingshot quiet. Why did I do it? Because someone thought it was a stupid idea. It may be stupid but it works extremely well.

Here is a bolt weight that I made for my Ruger MK pistol. It helps keep the cheap bulk ammo quieter by keeping the bolt closed a split second longer. I have found that most of the noise when shooting bulk pack ammo is from the gas exiting the ejection port.

I have built a number of bolt actions and AR's in 7.62x25 Tokarev. This was when surplus was really cheap and then when it started to dry up I begain shooting 180 grain bullets at 1,050 fps. Here is a thread with a bunch of pictures from a Savage build.
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=338219
Here are some 7.62x25 dummy cartridges I mocked up. I ended up actually shooting loaded rounds identical to these.
During this same time I was looking for a Blackhawk in 30 carbine so I could rechamber it in 7.62x25 and shoot these heavy loads.

If I could find a 7615P cheap I would do it in a heartbeat. It was one of the first guns that caught my attention when I went full retard into the world of 300BO. I am looking for a 357 Magnum lever gun. The reason is I can use a 30 caliber barrel blank and chamber it in 300BO. Then I can use 357 Magnum brass to make a rimmed version of 300BO.

And as I hinted towards I will have a Savage Striker, which is a pistol, in 300BO. The gun is being shipped Monday and I should have it in my hand by Wednesday. It will be chambered in 300BO and wear iron sights. And I also plan on adding some sort of tang sight to the flat part of the action at the rear. I am hoping to zero the gun at 100 yards then be able to flip up a tang sight to get me to 150 and maybe 200 yards. I am still deciding on barrel length but I am leaning really hard toward 12"

Some other stuff I have done is tensioned centerfire barrels like you see some rimfire barrels done. Just because some said it wouldn't work or it wouldn't help but I have found it does indeed work and actually improves accuracy on some guns.

I have also built my own Form 1 22lr can. It uses 17-4 and 316 SS, the same used in most centerfire cans. I have some Form 1's pending for a 30 caliber can and a AR that I will SBR in 300BO, 22lr and a few other calibers. My project after the 300BO Striker is to build a bolt gun in 22 Remington Jet so I can use my 22lr suppressor and reload the ammo.

Most of these projects were done years ago. I have had to significantly reduce the scale and tempo of my projects since my helicopter accident in 2008 while in Afghanistan. Since the accident I can only stand for 20 minutes at a time. And if I am on my feet more than 2 or 3 of those 20 minute sections I am done for the day. And that is on good days which I only get a few each week. I am lucky to be alive but some days it makes it hard to realize that. Without my wife helping me and taking care of me I would be a lot worse off.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

Truly amazing work . . . :mrgreen:
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Wow, all of that gun work and those projects are awesome! My little project is nothing like any of what you mention however it did come about due to the zombie hunters of the world always being like "why would you do that, it makes no sense!" That was a large part of the motivation.

If someone wants to put side sights, a bi-pod, a flash light, an infrared light, and a laser optic light all on their AR w/out participating in gun competition or doing any real tactical work, that is fine. I don't really get it and it's not for me, but go for it.
However, it is crazy to me though how often those same people open their mouth and object to any type of alternate gun configuration or setup that goes in a different direction. I cannot help but laugh!

OOOOH just had a great idea, "Gun Nuts"! Like the truck nuts you see on some people's trucks except these attach to the side or bottom picatinnay rail of an AR handguard! HAHAHHAHAHAHA! You could even make the claim that the extra weight helps to balance out the rifle in overly heavy but-stock AR configuration and helps to measures wind direction and speed :P

Anyhow, thanks for the info and I hope your injury situation gets better and/or stays managable. I have a herniated disk in my back that stopped all sports play when at the age of 16 and leads to a lot of inactivity in my life. Once again, it doesn't compare to your situation but I think I can relate to it on a smaller scale. Keep up the good work, your contributions kick ass as always. Thanks :)
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

tallburnedmidget wrote:Wow, all of that gun work and those projects are awesome! My little project is nothing like any of what you mention however it did come about due to the zombie hunters of the world always being like "why would you do that, it makes no sense!" That was a large part of the motivation.

If someone wants to put side sights, a bi-pod, a flash light, an infrared light, and a laser optic light all on their AR w/out participating in gun competition or doing any real tactical work, that is fine. I don't really get it and it's not for me, but go for it.
However, it is crazy to me though how often those same people open their mouth and object to any type of alternate gun configuration or setup that goes in a different direction. I cannot help but laugh!

OOOOH just had a great idea, "Gun Nuts"! Like the truck nuts you see on some people's trucks except these attach to the side or bottom picatinnay rail of an AR handguard! HAHAHHAHAHAHA! You could even make the claim that the extra weight helps to balance out the rifle in overly heavy but-stock AR configuration and helps to measures wind direction and speed :P

Anyhow, thanks for the info and I hope your injury situation gets better and/or stays managable. I have a herniated disk in my back that stopped all sports play when at the age of 16 and leads to a lot of inactivity in my life. Once again, it doesn't compare to your situation but I think I can relate to it on a smaller scale. Keep up the good work, your contributions kick ass as always. Thanks :)

Already done
http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2011/0 ... ball-sack/
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
da bugman
Silent But Deadly

Post by da bugman »

does the bolt weight cause any problems with subsonic loads/ What does it weigh? I have fired my 22/44 in the dark with sub sonic ammo. Lots of flash and sparks out of the ejection port and loaded chamber port. My cz 452 16" same ammo 1/2 the noise and no spark at all. c3 defense clandestion can. Nice work!

Thanks
JD
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

da bugman wrote:does the bolt weight cause any problems with subsonic loads/ What does it weigh? I have fired my 22/44 in the dark with sub sonic ammo. Lots of flash and sparks out of the ejection port and loaded chamber port. My cz 452 16" same ammo 1/2 the noise and no spark at all. c3 defense clandestion can. Nice work!

Thanks
JD
You cannot run the weight pictured with subsonic ammo. I have a seperate weight I use for subs that even helps those out a lot. The supersonic weights need to weigh 2.0-2.1 ounces. I forget what the subsonic weight weighs but it is more for easier racking than anything else.

Something else that the weight does is keep the action a million times cleaner. Your can gets dirtier but the action remains pretty clean compared to without the weight. I can literally shoot a few thousand rounds without cleaning the gun.

There is a ton of sparks and noise when firing without the weight. The weight removes 90% of both.

I drill and tap the rear of the bolt for a 10-32 machine screw. I chuck them into my lathe and use a carbide cutter to remove the hardened layer. You cannot drill it without removing that layer. Before I realized this I ruined a drill bit. A carbide drill bit might work to drill it but I am not sure.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

da bugman wrote:does the bolt weight cause any problems with subsonic loads/ What does it weigh? I have fired my 22/44 in the dark with sub sonic ammo. Lots of flash and sparks out of the ejection port and loaded chamber port. My cz 452 16" same ammo 1/2 the noise and no spark at all. c3 defense clandestion can. Nice work!

Thanks
JD
CZ 452 American is a bolt gun, so I think I'd expect it to be quieter.
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.