Silent But Deadly

Re: Building a "Honey Badger" - 6" barrel 300 AAC Blackout

Post by rockrivershooter »

My Houston Armory 6" barrel is a 1-8 twist
3Gunner
Silent Operator

Post by 3Gunner »

oneshotkyle wrote: im curious if anyone can give feedback on the nea CCS? I am on the fence waiting for the troy version to come out.
I have seen the NEA stock, and it's still in development. It's not very comfortable, but it's a PDW so not to be expected if it does the job.

Here's a nice alternative

http://www.lannertactical.com/SUB-RAVEN-AR15.html

It's not safe to hope for the best without preparing for the worst
3Gunner
Silent Operator

Post by 3Gunner »

Lothar Walther barrel is 1:8.

Do you think I should be ok with 1:8 and 6"?
Wheelwrench

Post by Wheelwrench »

armed_zebra wrote:In about 4000 rounds through my 8" AR, I have had one FTFeed. 300s are not "jam o matics" unless the mags are junk or the ammo is not utilizing the correct bullet.
+1.

Every single failure I've had on a 300BLK rifle has been due to an out-of-spec handload. Use good ammo and you'll love your 6".
oneshot onekill

Post by oneshot onekill »

We tried a short barrel in 300BLK and the rounds were hitting the target sideways. I'll find out the exact specs on the one we made and let everyone know probably tomorrow. Ours might have been 5" but we pretty much figure that less than 8" is too short. You lose too much velocity and the projectile doesn't have time to stabilize. FWIW...
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Wheelwrench wrote:
armed_zebra wrote:In about 4000 rounds through my 8" AR, I have had one FTFeed. 300s are not "jam o matics" unless the mags are junk or the ammo is not utilizing the correct bullet.
+1.

Every single failure I've had on a 300BLK rifle has been due to an out-of-spec handload. Use good ammo and you'll love your 6".
I don't guess ya'll have read my thread about my Alpha Shooting Sports 10.5 inch stainless steel tent stake.
318lll1927
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 318lll1927 »

L1A1Rocker wrote:
Wheelwrench wrote:
+1.

I don't guess ya'll have read my thread about my Alpha Shooting Sports 10.5 inch stainless steel tent stake.
Link!?!
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

318lll1927 wrote: Link!?!
This is the thread where I discussed my, as yet unfinished, build: viewtopic.php?f=136&t=82582

This is the thread with the back and forth with the Alpha rep. viewtopic.php?f=179&t=80986&start=70
3Gunner
Silent Operator

Post by 3Gunner »

oneshot onekill wrote:We tried a short barrel in 300BLK and the rounds were hitting the target sideways. I'll find out the exact specs on the one we made and let everyone know probably tomorrow. Ours might have been 5" but we pretty much figure that less than 8" is too short. You lose too much velocity and the projectile doesn't have time to stabilize. FWIW...
"Might have"? :roll:

What bullets did you use?
oneshot onekill

Post by oneshot onekill »

3Gunner wrote:
oneshot onekill wrote:We tried a short barrel in 300BLK and the rounds were hitting the target sideways. I'll find out the exact specs on the one we made and let everyone know probably tomorrow. Ours might have been 5" but we pretty much figure that less than 8" is too short. You lose too much velocity and the projectile doesn't have time to stabilize. FWIW...
"Might have"? :roll:

What bullets did you use?
Actually it was a little shy of 5.5". It was also ported because of the way we were attempting to suppress it. All in all just a bad idea. It flung projectiles all over the place... Supersonic and subsonic.