Elk Hunting...

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

RascalT

Elk Hunting...

Post by RascalT »

I plan on hunting elk this year with my .300BLK AR rifle...anyone done this? Any suggestions on rounds?

Gracias!

RascalT
one4freedom
Silent Operator

Re: Elk Hunting...

Post by one4freedom »

No experience, but I have been anxiously waiting for someone to post results. Please let us know how it goes.

Just curious, what's your bbl length and gas system (if AR)?

From what I understand, the most ideal bullet is probably the Barnes all copper bullet, but I would almost do something with a bit more mass and limit shots to closer ranges.
RascalT

Post by RascalT »

My original thoughts were nothing longer than 200 yds, and I was going to use the VMAX 110grain round...I can't use sub rounds, Colorado state law states that the round used has to have 1000ft/[email protected] the heaviest rd I can use is ~150grain and still meet that criteria...
I also plan on using the same round for hunting Pronghorn Antelope in WY, but I think I can push the distance out to about 300 yds then...

RascalT
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

I have never hunted elk (I so want to), however I figure you would want to get a good combination of speed and penetration for hunting an animal the size of an Elk with the 300 BLK.

It is my understanding that the Barnes copper bullets would give you more penetration than a non-copper option of the same weight. I believe I have read about why the Barnes copper bullets penetrate further but the explanation escapes me right now and I don't have the time right now to go Googling for the answer.

With that said I figure that picking the heaviest bullet that would run as fast as you need for a 200yd distance that provides maximum penetration and some expansion would be the ticket.

Once again, I have never hunted elk and can only say that from what I read and see on youtube, it sounds like one of the Barnes TTSX would be an educated starting point to meet the criteria I mentioned above.

I hope this gives you a good jumping off point :)
one4freedom
Silent Operator

Post by one4freedom »

RascalT wrote:My original thoughts were nothing longer than 200 yds, and I was going to use the VMAX 110grain round...I can't use sub rounds, Colorado state law states that the round used has to have 1000ft/[email protected] the heaviest rd I can use is ~150grain and still meet that criteria...
I also plan on using the same round for hunting Pronghorn Antelope in WY, but I think I can push the distance out to about 300 yds then...

RascalT

I know the vmax isn't "explosive" at the lower velocities, but I don't think that would be the best choice for elk. The Barnes 110 gr Tac-TX (Black Tip) has shown to be consistent in penetration, and would be a better choice than the 110 vmax. If it were me, I would strongly consider a 125 gr SST or the 125 Ballistic Tip.

Edit: Corrected the Barnes bullet to be the one I actually meant
Last edited by one4freedom on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

I wouldnt even consider the Vmax, absolutely not. I would ONLY use the Barnes TacTx 110gr (Blacktip only not the TSX blue tips) or the Nosler 125gr hunting ballistic tip (greentip). You wont get much penetration at all with the Vmax. My personal choice would be the blacktips.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
arodpdt117

Post by arodpdt117 »

300Blk wouldn't be my choice if it were my elk hunt but it will probably do the job. Even with the blacktips you are basically running about 1200ft/lbs at the muzzle so you will want to limit your distance so you aren't tracking a wounded elk for miles, it's just almost a guarantee you aren't going to drop him in his tracks unless it 100 yards and in. Even antelope I would go something else just because sometimes on those speedgoats you have to take a long shot (especially in Wyo), you are just limiting yourself by going with the 300. As long as you are comfortable making a good vital shot you should be okay in getting the kill though. Penetration shouldn't be an issue at short ranges either but you get a lot better blood trail from the exit side so keep that in mind because you have a long way to make it through an elk.
318lll1927
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 318lll1927 »

The 130 Barnes Copper should do it inside 150 yards. I bet the 110 would to, but that extra 20 grains will come in handy on an elk hide
Legionaire
Silent But Deadly

Post by Legionaire »

" it's just almost a guarantee you aren't going to drop him in his tracks unless it 100 yards and in"

thats almost always the case with anything. I shot a bull at 75 yards with a 300 ultra mag using a 200 gn. nosler partition and the bull didnt go down at the shot. Hit him just above the heart thru the aorta and that was the second bullet that hit him he didnt even flinch at the first one that was a classic lung shot. I thought i missed the first shot and pumped the other one in him while he was running trying to get out of dodge. He was already pumped with adrenaline when i shot the first round from getting pushed into me from another hunter. when they get all pumped up before you shoot them they are hard to put down in their tracks with anything less than a spine or brain shot. If you pick the shot on an elk that is not all pumped up and use a bullet that will get to the lungs using the 300 blk then you will have a dead elk to haul out of the woods.
arodpdt117

Post by arodpdt117 »

Shooting an alert animal is a much different story ... but the object of my post was just to help him understand that there are better options on elk so he doesn't limit himself. Everyone knows a well placed shot can get the job done. But he is going to be sacrificing a lot of range and knockout power (well below most "standards") considered for elk. As you mentioned yourself you didn't drop yours with a 300 RUM so why limit yourself to 1/2 or 1/3 the energy and hydrostatic shock from a 300blk.