Anyone using Wyatt's DBM on a Rem 700 AAC-SD in 300BLK???

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Recoil Junkie

Anyone using Wyatt's DBM on a Rem 700 AAC-SD in 300BLK???

Post by Recoil Junkie »

I just bought a Wyatt Outdoors DBM kit for my Remington 700 AAC-SD in 300BLK. I installed it in a Bell and Carlson Light Tactical stock. I'm very disappointed in the feeding, or the lack of feeding, I should say. Sometimes it feeds fine and others the first round will not get picked up at all by the bolt. If the first round chambers fine then the other 9 usually will too, but if it misses the first round it's hit or miss. If I hold upward pressure on the mag it will feed great. Any suggestions as to what to try? Thank you.
blkgunlvr
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Anyone using Wyatt's DBM on a Rem 700 AAC-SD in 300BLK??

Post by blkgunlvr »

This is a little disappointing because I've got a Wyatt's enroute from Midway right now for my new Remmy 700 SPS. If you have irregular pickup and require upward pressure on the mag, I think you may need to do a little bit of fitting by removing a bit of material from your stock and pillars to get the trigger guard and magazine a bit higher (without having to apply pressure to the mag). Wyatt states that some fitting may be required. I didn't cough up the $290 without reading the feedback and it was a mixture of "fit perfectly" to "required fitting" so it isn't guaranteed to be a drop-in item.
Recoil Junkie

Post by Recoil Junkie »

blkgunlvr wrote:This is a little disappointing because I've got a Wyatt's enroute from Midway right now for my new Remmy 700 SPS. If you have irregular pickup and require upward pressure on the mag, I think you may need to do a little bit of fitting by removing a bit of material from your stock and pillars to get the trigger guard and magazine a bit higher (without having to apply pressure to the mag). Wyatt states that some fitting may be required. I didn't cough up the $290 without reading the feedback and it was a mixture of "fit perfectly" to "required fitting" so it isn't guaranteed to be a drop-in item.
Yeah, I just had my fingers crossed that mine would be an easy one! I had Kevin Wyatt on the phone the other day, great guy by the way! He suggested I bend the feed lips on the two mags a little so the rounds would sit as high as possible in the mags and this did increase the reliability a lot but not 100%. I'm going to do as you suggested and take some material off the bottom of the stock and pillars to raise the bottom metal and magazine a little higher in the stock so the bolt can hopefully pick the rounds up easier off the mag. Please let me know what your setup is and how yours works out. I have another friend that also has the Wyatt's DBM kit and B&C stock on the way for his, should be here Tuesday 4-2-13. I'll give an update as to how his works out. Thanks for the reply and good luck.
blkgunlvr
Senior Silent Operator

Post by blkgunlvr »

My Wyatt TG/Mag assembly arrived yesterday. I've mounted it on my Rem 700 SPS with the factory Hogue overmold stock and planning to take it out to the range today for sighting in and load chrono work. It required just a little bit of corner squaring at the front corners of the magwell to fit into the Hogue stock (all of 15 minutes of very minor material removal with a rat-tail file). The magazine is very tight in the last 1/4" of travel to the point of latching and I can't seem to see any wear marks that indicate where it is binding- it should show up after I've had it in and out a few more times. It takes a very determined push to get in on the latch and a tug to get it out when unlatched. I did a couple of test-feed cycles and it strips ejects and feeds rounds off the mag fine without firing. I do have a minor concern that will be resolved once I get to the range on the length of the magazine. My 220 SMK sub reloads (OAL 2.085) are VERY SHORT in the magazine and there's 1/2" or more of empty space ahead of the cartridge bullet tip when loaded and pushed back against the rear of the magazine. There aren't any pronounced ribs or inner rails that would ride the bullet shoulder and it appears they can slide forward against the front of the mag. I'm afraid that bullets that slide foward in the mag under recoil may cause some feeding issues, firing will determine this. The quality of the trigger guard and magazine are very good, but I wouldn't expect less for a $290 piece. More to come.
blkgunlvr
Senior Silent Operator

Post by blkgunlvr »

Had a 5 hour range session today. The Wyatt mag and triggerguard performed flawlessly (with the exception of that tight magazine insert and remove issue). Fed every round and my concern over cartidges moving forward was not a problem with the subsonics I was shooting today, it may still become a problem with supersonics if they have more recoil. The magazine is a PITA to load without the supplied mag loader tool due to the long length and very tight feed lips. I fully loaded two mags (10 rounds) without the tool because I thought I had forgotten it, but found it and it really makes loading much easier.