My 300BLK Encore, Project "Anti-PC"

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

My 300BLK Encore, Project "Anti-PC"

Post by talonxracer »

I have always been a fan of the Encore for hunting, I figure it is the challenge of a single shot rifle along with the lower weight and shorter length for a specific length barrel. Seeing I had started my AR 300BLK build last spring and had opted to make my own brass and start reloading again, I knew I had to get a barrel for the Encore as well!

The barrel is a Bergera 16.5", 1:8 twist with threaded muzzle. I polished the chamber and installed a stronger locking lug spring. I then installed the barrel on the frame that I have duracoated in 2-tone FDE (I plan on Duracoating the barrel the same as the frame eventually). The short Bergera barrel does have a ever so slightly different profile than the longer length standard profile barrels from either TC or Bergera and a little sanding makes the fit far better on the forend where the barrels first taper begins.

The frame has been completely gone thru by me, a 44lb hammer spring, honed and polished disconnect/sear/hammer/trigger, 3lb trigger spring and 1xoversized hinge pin. Ultra smooth trigger takeup with a 3lb crisp as glass sear release.

The stock set is a Choate rifle butt stock and TC's standard rifle forend. The Choate buttstock has far better ergonomics than TC's standard or pro hunter stocks IMHO. I use a custom end cap on the grip, it helps alot when wearing thicker gloves when hunting, I do have a custom trigger guard being welded up to open up the diminutive trigger guard.

I canabilized the scope off of my 209x50 muzzleloader barrel for now, a 2x7x33 Nikon that has seen far better days! LOL not sure what optics to put on the barrel.

The TC Encore is unique in how headspace can be controlled from barrel to barrel, you measure the gap between the barrel end and firing pin bushing, then open the action and remove the extractor, insert a sized piece of brass and measure it's height above the end of the barrel, subtract the two measurements and that is your present headspace. If it needs correcting, the proper shims are placed behind the firing pin bushing to get a precise headspace.

I will post up some accuracy results when I get a chance to do some in depth shooting.
Last edited by talonxracer on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Re: My Encore with Bergera's 300BLK barrel

Post by talonxracer »

Getting there,,, added a cheek pad from a Choate ultimate varmint stock, mounted a Magpul MOE para-clip on the forend and a QD in the stock, then drilled and tapped the frame to mount a QD barrel for the Magpul MS3 sling. I also drilled and installed threaded inserts into the bottom of the forend to mount a Magpul MOE plastic rail.

I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Nice! I love to see a project coming together. It gives me hope on my own projects :)
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

Thnx, I will be finishing up the Duracoat as soon as the scope gets here, decided on a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 with ballistic reticle. I forgot to mention that I took the butt pad to the belt sander and removed the pointy ends that always caught on clothing.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

please post accuracy results!! I just ordered one of these barrels to shoot the lead 247's exclusively...

it will be may before i get it... can't wait to try them out!
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

Here she is with forgrip and MS3 sling with QD, added two brass threaded inserts to hold the MOE 11 slot rail on the bottom of the forend,

talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

some color applied

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

That's the prettiest single shot I think I've ever seen :D
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

Thank you!
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

Further progress, the muzzle blast is kinda intense, makes ya flinch, the muzzle is about the same distance from your face as a 10" barreled AR15 SBR. So I got a wild idea after looking at some SBR's and off the barrel went to ADCO the first of this week(and it is on its way back already) I am taking the rifle even further from social acceptance, and still stay NY legal, LOL, shortened to 13.5" and then a KX3 pinned on, the shoulder of the threads are right at the end of the forend. Gonna be a unique look for a deer rifle, LOL

Pics to follow