Problem with my empty casing hittng the brass deflector

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

vertical ascent
Senior Silent Operator

Problem with my empty casing hittng the brass deflector

Post by vertical ascent »

I was shooting a newly assembled 300 AAC Blackout and I noticed that my ejected casing is hitting the brass deflector, I know that is what the brass deflector is designed to do, but haven't seen this happen on my other AR-15, even the ones I carried when I was in the Marines. Granted this is a 300 B.O. I went to the gunshop where I bought the parts from and they installed a much heavier buffer (from Heavy buffer/H1 to an H2 buffer) The results are the same, the empty ejected casing is still hitting the brass deflector. Anyone have any insight on this issue, thanks.

Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Re: Problem with my empty casing hittng the brass deflector

Post by Jim Timber »

Yep, you're doing it right. :lol:

All kidding aside - we've found the fuzzy side of self adhesive velcro to be the cure.
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
vertical ascent
Senior Silent Operator

I can adapt to that.

thank you sir!
darr3239
Silent But Deadly

Post by darr3239 »

Every AR I have does that, but on black guns it's usually brass markings. On yours it appears it's just dinging the paint a little.
"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

I tried some self-stick foam, and the mouth chewed through it in short order. I need to go find my velcro and re-do it right.

91% rubbing alcohol, or acetone if you have it (nail polish remover works too) scrub before application helps the glue stick better.

The pad helps keep from denting the case mouths too, so they size better when you process them.
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
velo555
Silent But Deadly

Post by velo555 »

Jim Timber wrote:Yep, you're doing it right. :lol:

All kidding aside - we've found the fuzzy side of self adhesive velcro to be the cure.
Like he said you and your 300BLK AR are not doing anything wrong. This has been discussed here many many times. I think the reason it hits the case mouths has more to do with how much shorter the 300BLK case is. On a 5.56 the deflector hits the side of the cartridge not the case mouth. The velcro trick is a good work around. I have a side charger so it does not have a brass deflector. Nice looking finish, maybe you can find some velcro to match.
Victor Lopez
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

You could also play around with the ejector springs tension to reduce or increase(I would try reducing tension first) the spin rate of the ejected brass so that it hits closer to the shoulder rather than directly on the lip of the neck.

I didnt want to deal with that issue and it was the main reason why I went with a Low-Pro slickside upper.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
dyezak

Post by dyezak »

The problem isn't as prevalent on 5.56 rifles because the brass is longer. The longer brass hits the brass deflector on the shoulder of the casing. This shoulder is a rounded edge that isn't sharp and usually just bounces off the shell deflector.

The .300blk case is shorter, and it's so short that now the mouth of the brass hits the deflector. The case mouth is a sharp edge and cuts through the finish on the deflector.

Might be the time for some enterprising individual to make a deflector that attaches to the rail and is adjustable so that the .300blk case is hit on it's shoulder, not the mouth.
Magos_Mal
Silent But Deadly

Post by Magos_Mal »

I use a piece of adhesive backed felt I get from Hobby Lobby and it works great.

Any larger craft store or possibly walmart should have it.
-Exterminatus-
vertical ascent
Senior Silent Operator

Thank you all for the suggestions, I knew I was in the right place to ask this question, one thing that I didn't realized was that, this was a common issue and had been addressed before. Looks like a trip to the craft store is in order.

Semper Fi