Starting Loads for Lee 230 gr. Cast Bullets?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

threehundred
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Starting Loads for Lee 230 gr. Cast Bullets?

Post by threehundred »

When Trail first hit the American market, I had a wonderful conversation with one of the reps. Back then, they were admonishing any bottle neck case loadings. I guess things have evolved.

Back then, compressed loads that would result in broken doughnut shaped kernels of powder was a huge red flag from him, that he sternly warned me against doing. Unless they have changed the formula, I believed that warning was all caliber inclusive. I don't know of anything about the 300AAC that would make it special. But, I am willing to learn.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

threehundred wrote:When Trail first hit the American market, I had a wonderful conversation with one of the reps. Back then, they were admonishing any bottle neck case loadings. I guess things have evolved.

Back then, compressed loads that would result in broken doughnut shaped kernels of powder was a huge red flag from him, that he sternly warned me against doing. Unless they have changed the formula, I believed that warning was all caliber inclusive. I don't know of anything about the 300AAC that would make it special. But, I am willing to learn.
They got real world feed back, instead of design room thinking is my guess. If I remember right, part of the published instructions for generic reduced loads included something like "for loads where no data is available".

As far as crushing the doughnuts, I am not sure it's possible without bending your press handle. I tried a couple loads at about 120% density and there was no issue except you needed a crimp hard enough to distort the bullet(jacketed) to keep it in place. Then it seemed like around 110% ES/SD went south. So for me compressed loads were more of an accuracy issue than pressure.

As far as 300 BLK being an anomaly, probably has more to do with small case, big bullet and you can't help but have some compression. It also is basically a bottle neck by definition only, it has a body and a neck, but no shoulder to speak of. It's not really a rifle cartridge, or a pistol cartridge, that's why it behaves a little different than anything else out there.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
threehundred
Senior Silent Operator

Post by threehundred »

Since this has turned towards undocumented assumptions 8) , may I add that I believe the IMR rep I had
my conversation with, got his warning on compressed loads from their R&D dept.

Of course, that is just my undocumented assumption. 8)

Personally, I would love to be able to fill up a case with ground up Trail Boss doughnut shaped powder to get a whole lot more in for better velocity.

Based on your statements, I guess I can go ahead, and try. 8)

thanks.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

threehundred wrote:Since this has turned towards undocumented assumptions 8) , may I add that I believe the IMR rep I had
my conversation with, got his warning on compressed loads from their R&D dept.

Of course, that is just my undocumented assumption. 8)

Personally, I would love to be able to fill up a case with ground up Trail Boss doughnut shaped powder to get a whole lot more in for better velocity.

Based on your statements, I guess I can go ahead, and try. 8)

thanks.
What's the worse thing that can happen?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
threehundred
Senior Silent Operator

Post by threehundred »

:lol: yah, what is the worst... :lol:
threehundred
Senior Silent Operator

Post by threehundred »

Colorado CJ wrote:I just got the Lee 230gr. bullet mold and have cast 600 or so bullets. I am wondering what would be a good starting load for this bullet? I'd love to be able to use Lil Gun as I have 8 lbs. of the stuff. I was thinking 8.2 gr. as a starting load. It probably won't cycle though.

Anyone else shooting the lee 230 gr. cast bullets? What is your favorite load for them?

I didn't mean to hi-jack.

I experimented with a half dozen different bullets in my pistol, but no lead.

I finally got the results I wanted with Hornady 225 gr., but, under 10.9 gr. A1680 with a 2.20 O.A.L.
through a 10.5" barrel with 1/8 rate of twist. I didn't chronograph them, but, I believe in Ramshot's assessment and published data. I sighted these in at approx. 4" low at 25 yds (if memory serves me) which resulted in dead on hold at 50 yds., 75 yds. and 100 yds..

Apologies to the OP, for going off topic.