AAC Model 7 - "new" inventory out?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Strongwind

AAC Model 7 - "new" inventory out?

Post by Strongwind »

Stopped by my gun dealer today to check on inventory, ammo, etc.

I've had my name on the "want" list for a bolt action 300 BO
Earlier this year I gave him the info on the AAC Model 7...also the Remington 700 SPS Tactical.

Sounds like he found the AAC Model 7 at one of his distributors.
It's on the way.

Question for y'all.
I remember alot of discussion the past spring when the AAC Model 7 first came out regarding feeding and extraction problems.
I assume this rifle is "newer" production (will see if I can find a production date on it).
What was the issue with the feed/extraction?
What should I look for to see if the rifle is of the "first run" production?

Thx SW
glock17l
Silent Operator

Re: AAC Model 7 - "new" inventory out?

Post by glock17l »

Just picked up a new production 7 today and it is 1-7 twist.
Strongwind

Post by Strongwind »

glock17l wrote:Just picked up a new production 7 today and it is 1-7 twist.
How do you know it is "new production"?
Does it have a manufacture date on the box?
Note in the owners manual specifying what is different from the first production?
Reference to serial number?
???
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

The first production M7 Micro's had 1:8" twist barrels. Later built ones apparently now have the new 1:7" tube.
glock17l
Silent Operator

Post by glock17l »

It is new production by the twist rate all the first ones were 1-8 when I checked this one it is even a little little faster than 1-7 more like 1-6 3/4 and it flings the case out when ejecting. When you move the bolt really slow ejection is about 2 feet when the bolt is run normally it is more like 3 feet.
Dieselgeek

Post by Dieselgeek »

glock17l wrote:It is new production by the twist rate all the first ones were 1-8 when I checked this one it is even a little little faster than 1-7 more like 1-6 3/4 and it flings the case out when ejecting. When you move the bolt really slow ejection is about 2 feet when the bolt is run normally it is more like 3 feet.

I've played w/ two and they must be different runs. One has much better ejection.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Strongwind wrote:
Note in the owners manual specifying what is different from the first production?
???

Don't know about the new ones, but I had a first issue one. The problem with mine was that Remington was no longer putting in a piece that would hold the magazine spring in a fixed proper position. It could slide forward or backwards which put differing pressures at differing places on the follower which would lead to the round being presented at differing angles causing it to jam trying to chamber. AAC was suppose to send me the piece/fix, but I never heard back from them after I was emailed they would take care of me. Remington told me the magazine piece was no longer being made, but they found one somewhere and sent it to me. My jams went from about 1 in every 10 tries to about 1 in 100 tries. Ultimately I installed a single shot adaptor since 99.99% of my Micro7 shooting is now at a range at targets, which I can easily take out if I go hunting. Simply dropping a round in with the single shot adaptor was much easier than loading the magazine. I also found my Micro7 preferred bullets seated a bit deeper (a tenth of an inch) than what my AR's work with. I think others had problems with the feed ramp causing the round to angle to either side of the chamber causing a jam and AAC would modify the feed ramp. It will be interesting to compare my Micro7 magazine to my Model 700 in 300 BLK when it arrives Monday.
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

The M-7 has lighter barrel and action,melonited and good scope base.The cheek piece thing I could do without.The stock doesn't seem as good as the new rem 700 and the 700 can use the polymer 10 round mag and floorplate adapter.
I wish you could get the best of both in one rifle.I'll probably go with the 700 when the prices level off with the other rem tac rifles.They're overpriced for a bolt gun to me now.Many good bolt rifles can be had for less than 500 bucks that can shoot MOA groups.
glock17l
Silent Operator

Post by glock17l »

Whole Bunches wrote:
Strongwind wrote:
???

Don't know about the new ones, but I had a first issue one. The problem with mine was that Remington was no longer putting in a piece that would hold the magazine spring in a fixed proper position. It could slide forward or backwards which put differing pressures at differing places on the follower which would lead to the round being presented at differing angles causing it to jam trying to chamber. AAC was suppose to send me the piece/fix, but I never heard back from them after I was emailed they would take care of me. Remington told me the magazine piece was no longer being made, but they found one somewhere and sent it to me. My jams went from about 1 in every 10 tries to about 1 in 100 tries. Ultimately I installed a single shot adaptor since 99.99% of my Micro7 shooting is now at a range at targets, which I can easily take out if I go hunting. Simply dropping a round in with the single shot adaptor was much easier than loading the magazine. I also found my Micro7 preferred bullets seated a bit deeper (a tenth of an inch) than what my AR's work with. I think others had problems with the feed ramp causing the round to angle to either side of the chamber causing a jam and AAC would modify the feed ramp. It will be interesting to compare my Micro7 magazine to my Model 700 in 300 BLK when it arrives Monday.
Yes the new ones feed like crap as well not for sure what I am going to do about it.
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

Try comparing the magazine assembly of the AAC M7 that you have now to one that is chamberred in .223 Remington. If they are indeed different, maybe you could try a .223 magazine & floor plate. This may improve your rifle's ability to feed with the 300 Blackout.

When I built my 700 off a .17FB SPS donor rifle, I found that the Blackout fed better in the 700 when paired with the .223 Rem. magazine assembly.