10.2" 1/7" What load?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

colt_sporter

10.2" 1/7" What load?

Post by colt_sporter »

Picked up a 10.2" Noveske the other day and I've shot a few supersonic loads (Remington, Hornaday 110Vmax etc) with it but really haven't seen anything spectacular with group sizes (right around 1 MOA). Can someone share their secrets?

Thanks!
darr3239
Silent But Deadly

Re: 10.2" 1/7" What load?

Post by darr3239 »

I've got an 8.2 Noveske. The Blackout is not an inherently accurate cartridge overall, like the 308. The best groups I've shot, with all different bullets has been just under an inch. I haven't worked it as hard as others on this site, but it's obvious the Blackout needs a lot of personal test loadings to figure out which loads are most accurate.

My first attempt, at duplicating the 308 Federal Gold Medal match ammo, after perusing the internet, yielded a .190" three shot group. It is said that if your 308 rifle doesn't shoot with the GMM ammo, then it won't shoot at all. The Blackout ain't anything like that.
"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
colt_sporter

Post by colt_sporter »

Interesting. I guess I got spoiled early on. I had a Wilson Combat 16" bbl that shot ~.7" five shot group after being sighted in with three shots previous and kinda expected those sorts of results from there on out. I only shot maybe a 100 rounds before moving on to the SBR I have now and have been a little disappointed given my previous (although limited) experience. I wanted another Wilson bbl, but they were outa stock. I went with Noveske, thinking it could be an upgrade considering what their 556 and 762 products deliver for accuracy. I guess I'll just keep plugging away. Thanks for the input.
darr3239
Silent But Deadly

Post by darr3239 »

Barrels don't get better than Noveski's, and I think they were the first to go with the 1 in 7" twist. I think the shorter barrels just have to be worked with more.
"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
BobinNC
Silent But Deadly

Post by BobinNC »

colt_sporter wrote:Picked up a 10.2" Noveske the other day and I've shot a few supersonic loads (Remington, Hornaday 110Vmax etc) with it but really haven't seen anything spectacular with group sizes (right around 1 MOA). Can someone share their secrets?

Thanks!
Peruse this article http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/bu ... _twist.htm Now reflect how your trying for match accuracy from a barrel that's twist is ideal for long heavy sub-sonics, not short supersonics when a twist more like 1-13 to 1-16" would be more appropriate (that is bullets 125 grs or less).

Plus a short barreled rifle will be very sensitive to how it is benched and shot, also they are light, meaning is your shooting technique and trigger control (most semi auto have atrocious triggers) is not perfect shot to shot, dispersion will result.
darr3239
Silent But Deadly

Post by darr3239 »

No argument here. SBR's are really short, and the twist was meant to help the heavy sub-sonics I'm sure. More work by me is needed, with a scope, since the AAC recommended 220 gr. load only produced a 3" group at 100 yards.