shooting cast boolits

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Shangrila

shooting cast boolits

Post by Shangrila »

Is it OK to use cast bullets through the Noveske polygonal rifling? I know you're not supposed to with Glocks, but I didn't know if the same held true with these. Thanks!
Klem
Silent But Deadly

Re: shooting cast boolits

Post by Klem »

It's OK to shoot lead through a polygonal barrel.

I've shot literally thousands over the years out of my G19 and G17 in IPSC prac pistol with no issues with either accuracy or lead fouling. Same with my shooting buddies. The Glock is very popular as a prac pistol and everyone uses lead to save on money and also be permitted to shoot metallic targets.

Years ago there was concern when they first came out with people saying it was harder to see lead deposits in a polygonal due to the even smearing of lead down the barrel. It doesn't clump like a lands/grooved barrel. Bottom line is it's all about fit, lube and the quality of alloy used. I found the tighter the fit the more fouling you get. Oversized wax-lubed bullets leave their deposits at the start of the barrel, whereas teflon-coated towards the end of the barrel.

Control the diameter carefully and you will be fine.
Shangrila

Post by Shangrila »

Makes sense, thanks.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

You can shoot lead in our barrels. They are a poly rifled design with lands and grooves, but the sides of the lands are angled.
Todd
Shangrila

Post by Shangrila »

Very nice, I appreciate the response. Thank you!