Keyholing with UMC 115gr?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Bugg77
Silent Operator

Keyholing with UMC 115gr?

Post by Bugg77 »

I went to a carbine training course this weekend and used my 8" 300BLK with the Noveske barrel and a 762-SDN-6 suppressor. I shot approximately 850 rounds of the Remington UMC 115gr ammo over two days. I had two confirmed keyholes at between 25 and 50 yards. I don't know if there were more as we spent some time shooting at steel. I checked the suppressor and it looks clean to me. I'm guessing that if there were a baffle strike that I would definitely be able to see it.

Assuming that I only had those two keyholes (<1% of total rounds fired), what action should I take to make sure I can run this kit safely? Is it likely that I had a couple of poorly manufactured rounds or should I be worried about some other aspect?
-k-
Industry Professional

Re: Keyholing with UMC 115gr?

Post by -k- »

Keyhole, like full side profile bullet holes?

I have no idea how a bullet would make it through the silencer then go completely sideways at 25. Is there any possibility of the bullet hitting something before the target?
Todd
Bugg77
Silent Operator

Post by Bugg77 »

-k- wrote:Keyhole, like full side profile bullet holes?

I have no idea how a bullet would make it through the silencer then go completely sideways at 25. Is there any possibility of the bullet hitting something before the target?
Yep, a full silhouette of the bullet in the paper. It really left me scratching my head. Nothing in the way but air and the suppressor. I'm going to take the suppressor to my local dealer to have him look at it for me since I've never seen a baffle strike I may be looking at one and not know it. If I could get a clear picture of the baffles, I'd post it, but I can't get the camera to focus on the baffles.
Bugg77
Silent Operator

Post by Bugg77 »

Well, back from the suppressor dealer and we looked at mine and one of theirs and they both looked the same, so my baffles look okay. I'm at a loss for what to think with this one. I've still got ~700 rounds of this UMC ammo but now I'm not sure I trust it in my rig.
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Post by hunter2 »

Have you noticed any light loads - sounds different, not cycling? Would not use them with my suppressor on! Let us know what turns up....
Bugg77
Silent Operator

Post by Bugg77 »

hunter2 wrote:Have you noticed any light loads - sounds different, not cycling? Would not use them with my suppressor on! Let us know what turns up....
It was tough to pay that close of attention to it as we shot between 850-1000 rounds and I was the only one shooting suppressed so I still had to wear my ear-pro. I didn't have any problems with cycling, extraction, bolt hold open. I've still got 600-ish rounds left so I guess I could run through them unsuppressed, but man I hate shooting unsuppressed now. :lol: