I don't care for my URX iii...

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

everyusernametaken

Re: I don't care for my URX iii...

Post by everyusernametaken »

nolwark76 wrote:The reason for machining new rail sections to go one the urx iii that would actually work by being flush would be to leave the upper otherwise untouched. This would preserve the integrity of the upper should I ever need AAC to take a lol at it. They have been awesome to deal with so far. They took off the flash hider that comes with their upper for free and shipped it back within a week. If thier customer service sucked, like Para Ordnance who will never get another dime from me, I wouldn't worry about it. I would just rely on my local smith. I still my go with the samson EVO 7.6 but I'm leaning toward waiting because I wouldnt want someone to call me a mall ninja after being on here for a week.
I didn't call you a mall ninja, if that's what you're implying. I prefer a full-rail handguard myself, so it wouldn't make much sense if that was my statement, would it? Take a few moments to comprehend what you're reading.

I understand what you're trying to achieve, I looked into the issue of rail segments lining up with the partial permanent rails myself. The problem is that the width of the "smooth" segment of the handguard is too large, so in order to make the disparate rails flush, you will reduce the height of the removable rail segments to the point that most things can't mount to them. Try it for yourself, but I've seen the dimensions using KAC's own rail segments.

My reason for wanting full-length rails (a la URX 2) is to have full-length KAC rail covers, which are much more comfortable than the skinny little "slick" handguard if you have big hands. For me, changing the handguard to a URX 2 would not be a major issue, if the URX 2 was available in the same length.
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

Dtom suggested mall ninja, not you. We are on the same page. I would much prefer a urx ii that is 8". KAC said that they made the smooth part of the rail too thick and an add on rail had to be a certain thickness to work. I was just supporting someone trying to make one flush so it would work. I will wait to see if it works for him and if not, since KAC is not going to make a full or even 7" quad again, go will the samson EVO 7.6" rail.
everyusernametaken

nolwark76 wrote:Dtom suggested mall ninja, not you. We are on the same page. I would much prefer a urx ii that is 8". KAC said that they made the smooth part of the rail too thick and an add on rail had to be a certain thickness to work. I was just supporting someone trying to make one flush so it would work. I will wait to see if it works for him and if not, since KAC is not going to make a full or even 7" quad again, go will the samson EVO 7.6" rail.
Oh, sorry I misunderstood on the mall ninja comment.

Did they say they're not making any more full-length rail handguards? That would be really disappointing. I can understand meeting a new market trend, but ditching the old style altogether seems extreme.
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

I called KAC about it and asked nicely why they went to that rail. They said market trends and end user feed back is what made them do that route. I asked about the whole concept in that most other designs at least make the add on rails flush so you could choose to make them full rails if you wanted. He said they got begged to do one like this and then everybody is mad at this design so basically they are done trying to please everyone.

What I don't get is when they go to do a major redesign like this, why don't they make it public? Have a product forum where people can log in, vote once, give maybe one sentence about why they voted the way they did, and show people how the voting is going. I mean if you were saving for the exact rifle you wanted and then they did a major change that you didn't want, you're screwed.

I wanted the urx ii rail and got the less than end user friendly urx iii. Like I've said before if the permanent rails were just taller so the add ons would be flush it would be a totally different story.

I guess I will wait to see how Sdustin fairs with his idea. KAC told me their add on rails had to be that tall for strength and to be able to mount to it. Ok, but then make the permanent ones at the end taller.
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

nolwark76 wrote:I would be very interested in that. Are you planning to have the rail blanks milled down to make them flush with the permanent rails? Are you thinking of making them long enough to butt up to where the urx iii curves up the the permanent rails? Is like to put magpul xt rails on the side and a magpul AFG on the bottom. Also I would like to put an ATM javelin light on one side. It has two mounting brackets like a surefire scout light, just half the price. I bet there would be others that would be interested too.

How much are the blanks? If they aren't too expensive, maybe buy one and have the machinist give you a price for each set of three. Start a new thread and generate some interest. I will hold off on buying the samson EVO rail until you get a better idea of the possibility of this happening.

This would be awesome if it worked out. Not messing with the way the factory upper was built would be great.

this is exactly what i want to try. Ill try to talk to the machinist next week and if there's interest and its possible for him to do then ill start a thread. dont expect anything for a few weeks im lazy and work a lot and the machinist is a family friend and will work my work in around his regular areospace and nuclear customers so i know hes good.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
copenhagen
Senior Silent Operator

Post by copenhagen »

everyusernametaken wrote:
nolwark76 wrote: My reason for wanting full-length rails (a la URX 2) is to have full-length KAC rail covers, which are much more comfortable than the skinny little "slick" handguard if you have big hands. For me, changing the handguard to a URX 2 would not be a major issue, if the URX 2 was available in the same length.
I have huge hands. I am a 6' 5" size 14 shoe wearing big mother. I can never find gloves big enough for me. I DEARLY LOVE my URX 3 rail and think it is ever so comfortable. So, I guess the point of this statement is that just because you have big hands does not mean you will not like the rail.
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

I just ordered the panel kit you put the link to from the pic thread. I will probably just get the new TLR-1 HP as a light for it as the urx iii won't let you put a light with two mounting brackets on it.
everyusernametaken

copenhagen wrote:
everyusernametaken wrote:
nolwark76 wrote: My reason for wanting full-length rails (a la URX 2) is to have full-length KAC rail covers, which are much more comfortable than the skinny little "slick" handguard if you have big hands. For me, changing the handguard to a URX 2 would not be a major issue, if the URX 2 was available in the same length.
I have huge hands. I am a 6' 5" size 14 shoe wearing big mother. I can never find gloves big enough for me. I DEARLY LOVE my URX 3 rail and think it is ever so comfortable. So, I guess the point of this statement is that just because you have big hands does not mean you will not like the rail.
I already have one, on an AAC 300 BLK upper. It just doesn't feel right to me. I know these thin, smooth-side handguards are the new big thing for ARs, but I guess I'm just set in my ways. The standard KAC rail covers at the standard spacing (such as the M4 RAS) is my preferred configuration.
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

I agree. It would accomplish the same thing to have smooth rails with the permanent rails tall enough for add ons to be flush. It would make the military and LE customers happy that want slick rails. It would make those that want rails happy as they would have a better option than the urx iii, currently.