The 300 blk -458 socom switch barrel set up works. Photo add

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

da bugman
Silent But Deadly

The 300 blk -458 socom switch barrel set up works. Photo add

Post by da bugman »

The parts made it in.

I had to open up the recoil lug area of the XLR stock for the thicker tubbs lug,and make a slot in the hand guard to allow the hand guard to slide off straight.

Minor tuning of the magazines to get them to feed 100 %. The 223 is plastic , I had to use a file to widen the lips just a little, I was getting a occasional bolt over ride. The 308 box is metal and I had to bend the lips up just a little to get the rounds a little higher due to the rebated rim of the socom.

The 223 PTG bolt with a sako extractor ejects both loaded and fired round perfect. I had trimed the ejector spring in the 260 bolt when I was shooting compation, so it would not eject, I did not want to dent the case mouths. I think I will be ok once I get some new parts.

To change barrel

all I need to do is loosen six allen head bolts, slide the hand guard off, unscrew the barrel , reinstall the other barrel, slip the hand guard on and tighten the 6 allen head bolts. Slip in the correct bolt and magazine. Each barrel will have it's own optic in quick release rings or base.

The 300 will be my real quite shoot them in the head garden gun, the 458 socom will be the bust them hard at any angle choice. I am wating for a SAS ti arbatrator for the 300 and and a SBR can for the 458 socom. I am told that the 458 will quite down quite a bit, but do not expect it to be as quite as the blk out.

I will glue in the recoil lug and glass bed the action to day, Once i am happy with everything I will epoxy the action in place. I will try to post some photo's soon.
JD

Last edited by da bugman on Wed May 16, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
da bugman
Silent But Deadly

Re: The 300 blk -458 socom switch barrel set up works. Photo

Post by da bugman »

sorry about the poor photo's, but I did manage to get them on.

JD
Embalmer883

Post by Embalmer883 »

Love it! What type action and stock is that?
318lll1927
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 318lll1927 »

Freakin Sick :!:
da bugman
Silent But Deadly

Post by da bugman »

Rem 700 short action. The stock is a XLR. I orderd it about year ago. It took 6 months. There are other chassis avaible now all in the 700 buck range. You want to make sure it uses the AI mags. The ptg bolt took 4 months.

JD
da bugman
Silent But Deadly

Post by da bugman »

Last time out I switched out to the 458 socom barrel. POI was close enought ,I just dialed in the correction. I shot well, and with a little testing I will be able to report if change outs are repeatable enough to change dial in correction and deploy. That would be real cool if it is.

JD
Ryan327

Post by Ryan327 »

Does you action have any issues extracting .300blk? I know i'm running the same chassis with a savage action and am having issues extracting/ejecting. Wasn't sure if it may be the mags or just the bolt face giving me so many issues...
da bugman
Silent But Deadly

Post by da bugman »

Ryan327 wrote:Does you action have any issues extracting .300blk? I know i'm running the same chassis with a savage action and am having issues extracting/ejecting. Wasn't sure if it may be the mags or just the bolt face giving me so many issues...
No problems as long as I work the bolt as if I were hunting and wanted to eject the spent round. I can make it dribble out by working the bolt softly.

JD
da bugman
Silent But Deadly

Post by da bugman »

You need to know my bolt has a sako extractor.
da bugman
Silent But Deadly

Post by da bugman »

BTT