I Need a quick ammo education.. Soon to be 300 BLK Owner

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

jt7051

I Need a quick ammo education.. Soon to be 300 BLK Owner

Post by jt7051 »

After looking into the 300BLK, I got intrested in using it as my primary hunting rifle/Round. Doing some reading here in the hunting section I keep reading folks describing the rounds they're using and I had some questions.

This will be mainly about factory bought ammo, as I don't reload.

Ammo tip diffrences, Green, Red, etc.. Is this just a branding thing, the diffrent producers just use diffrent colors? or is there something internally diffrent about the rounds besides the grains?

SOST? This one is new to me, I know JSP, JHP, FMJ. The only thing I can go off of is pictures of this round. It appears to be an open tip jacket hollow point, is this correct?

I ordered my 300BLK upper from the folks at Palmetto State Armory, and in anticipation I ordered 40 Rounds of the PNW Arms Hunting ammo 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet. Since I live and hunt in Florida most of my shots don't go beyond 200 Yards (and even that's a long shot here even factoring in a Tree stand).

So any advice and education on the 300BLK would be appreated.
Thanks,
J.T.
C2_Drew
Silent But Deadly

Re: I Need a quick ammo education.. Soon to be 300 BLK Owner

Post by C2_Drew »

Well, JT, first off welcome to the forum.

There is a difference between the color of tips. A blue tip might be a Nosler ballistic tip. "Black tips" are Barnes TA-TX-FB 110 gr copper projectiles and are quite nasty. This looks like THE hunting round especially for our little Florida deer. It's available as loaded ammunition from Barns and others. There are definitely differences between the color tips.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/430384 ... -box-of-20

SOST = Special Operations Science and Technology. It's a pretty nifty round designed to replace the ol' green tip M855. They also have a flavor in 7.62. Read more about it here: http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=7319 You won't find much of it in the civilian world, but a few lucky individuals made it off the range with a few boxes.

The Nosler BTs will work fine. Give the VOR-TX ammo a hard look. Here's something to think about if you ever need to shoot a deer through a car door! :lol:

Designing the legacy systems of tomorrow, today!