Powder suggestions for 130 gr cast super sonic.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

JohnInNH
Elite Member

Re: Powder suggestions for 130 gr cast super sonic.

Post by JohnInNH »

I got a LB of LilGun. I have found it works well for my 357 MAX with a 300 gr bullet in a subsonic load. I have also loaded some 125 gr TNT's with it in my BLK. It is very close to Win 296/H110 I am also working up loads with 150 gr bullets using Lil Gun and 296, A1680 I do NOT regret buying it. I seem to prefer it to 296. I have 5 lbs of that to use up.

I would not hesitate to use Lil Gun for a 130 gr lead GC load in my BLK. You are shooting in an AR and want a supersonic load that will cycle? I do not think if you got LiL Gun you would regret it. It seems to be a good BLK powder in a wide weight range.

Keep in mind that cast bullets act like a lighter bullet than a Jacketed one. They have less initial resistance and less bore friction so a powder that works well for a 110-125 will work well for your 130.

Keep us posted on your results!
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

JohnInNH wrote: A1680 I do NOT regret buying it. I seem to prefer it to 296.

Do you think 1680 would be good for this cast bullet? I've got about 4 pounds of that on hand.

I'll definatly keep everyone posted on how it works out. I'm still waiting on my mold though. . .
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

L1A1Rocker wrote:
JohnInNH wrote: A1680 I do NOT regret buying it. I seem to prefer it to 296.

Do you think 1680 would be good for this cast bullet? I've got about 4 pounds of that on hand.

I'll definatly keep everyone posted on how it works out. I'm still waiting on my mold though. . .

It was bad sentence structure as the subject was unclear. I prefer Lil Gun to 296 and do NOT regret getting the Lil Gun. Sorry for the mix up.

A1680 I use for full power loads in my 357 MAXIMUM .. I am also using it for the 152 gr full power BLK loads. The Lil Gun would be ideal for the 130 gr IMHO

It is close to 296 but does not seem to have the issue of having to have a 80% loading density or more with lighter bullets. (the caution about reduced loads with 296)

There are some good posts with your NOE 247 gr bullet in the reloading section here. Some very good pics of tight groups.

After my day at the range yesterday I am ready to scrap ALL my 300 BLK stuff. Either my lot of Remington brass is the problem or the head space is way off in my Micro seven... Light primer strikes like 1 in 5 this time! Most went off the 2nd or 3 time. The shoulder must be off as I had the firing pin protrusion measured and it is NOT the problem.. also primers are seated in all the way. This is Rem Factory primed brass.

Talk about embarrassing. 5 people at the range took note. (comments like what a POS) Not the best advertizing.. "Send it back" .. I said "I already did. but for a different problem" They just shook their heads.

Is there a Lemon law for rifles? LOL.. Not all was a bust.. My M16 ran flawless as did my 1911. When a bolt rifle can't work right you know it's really sad.

When my upper gets here I will have something to compare it to. Then I will know if it's a brass or chamber issue. None of my neck resized once reloaded reloads had the problem (fire formed) so this is making me think it's the head space.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

JohnInNH wrote: After my day at the range yesterday I am ready to scrap ALL my 300 BLK stuff. Either my lot of Remington brass is the problem or the head space is way off in my Micro seven... Light primer strikes like 1 in 5 this time! Most went off the 2nd or 3 time. The shoulder must be off as I had the firing pin protrusion measured and it is NOT the problem.. also primers are seated in all the way. This is Rem Factory primed brass.

Talk about embarrassing. 5 people at the range took note. (comments like what a POS) Not the best advertizing.. "Send it back" .. I said "I already did. but for a different problem" They just shook their heads.
Damn! I wonder if anyone on the board has a set of headspace gauges they could loan you. I'm tempted to buy a set myself as just read about a PSA barrel that was out of spec. I ordered a PSA kit last week so I'm a bit concerned about the chamber specs. . .
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

L1A1Rocker wrote:
JohnInNH wrote: After my day at the range yesterday I am ready to scrap ALL my 300 BLK stuff. Either my lot of Remington brass is the problem or the head space is way off in my Micro seven... Light primer strikes like 1 in 5 this time! Most went off the 2nd or 3 time. The shoulder must be off as I had the firing pin protrusion measured and it is NOT the problem.. also primers are seated in all the way. This is Rem Factory primed brass.

Damn! I wonder if anyone on the board has a set of headspace gauges they could loan you. I'm tempted to buy a set myself as just read about a PSA barrel that was out of spec. I ordered a PSA kit last week so I'm a bit concerned about the chamber specs. . .

Yep $80 for the pair.. is a bit much.. Larry may have a set. I have to stop in anyway. I am fairly sure he has a set. But it still may be in spec just at the long side. So if my brass is at the low end and chamber at high end bingo. very light primer strikes due to the shape of the small shoulder.

My once fired have a sharper shoulder. The factory brass has a round slight minimal shoulder. Even my reformed 223 brass works better than the factory.

Tell me more about the PSA info. I am really counting on mine to be OK since my Micro7 is giving me problems. (unless it's a lot of bad brass?)

I have NEVER had such bad luck with a rifle/caliber. So you add up all the variables. Primer pocket depth, primer cup length, head space, brass shoulder and head space, hard AR primers..

So according to Larry at LPR what he believes is happening is the round is deep in the chamber which may be OK but then the firing pin hits the hard primer and the round now shifts forward the shoulder being such that it can move a slight bit forward and CLICK. Tolerance stack and as he said an inherent head space design problem caused by a small shoulder. (and others similar to it)

Other people are having this problem I am not the only one with light primer strikes in a micro7. Maybe AAC has a "fix" that does not take 2 months. Who knows maybe they were assembled at the high side of the spec for less pressure and easier cambering.

For now it's a range toy till I can get it sorted out.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

JohnInNH wrote:
Tell me more about the PSA info. I am really counting on mine to be OK since my Micro7 is giving me problems. (unless it's a lot of bad brass?)
Here's the thread where it is discussed:
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=79213

I'm sure sorry to hear all the problems you've had with that rifle. Didn't you have and extraction problem of some sort that took a while to sort out?
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

L1A1Rocker wrote:
JohnInNH wrote:
Here's the thread where it is discussed:
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=79213

I'm sure sorry to hear all the problems you've had with that rifle. Didn't you have and extraction problem of some sort that took a while to sort out?

Initial was the feeding problem. AAC sorted that out. Got held up due to the Shot Show.

Then I had the primers back out with the heavy lead bullets, and I thought that way my misfire problem.

Now it seems it's a head space problem. Now that I loaded up my second box of 500 factory primed brass I am running into light primes strikes which are misfiring because the firing pin is not going deep enough. (head space) I believe is the problem. Brass or the gun .. or a combination of both?

I posted a full write up in the AAC section
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

JohnInNH wrote:
I posted a full write up in the AAC section
I read that write up just a few minutes ago. The primer "looks" awful deep to me. Are you able to measure how far in past flush with the base it is? Maybe a brass issue where the primer pocket was cut too deep?

I'd take Robert's offer up. Send him some live rounds along with fired rounds for comparison to the sami spec sheet. Also, I'd ask him about the primer pocket depth. He is serious about this cartridge "making it" so I'm sure he will have the brass thoroughly examined.

Good luck with it.

PS, if all else fails would you consider pistol primers?
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

I talked again to Larry Racine. I will bring my brass and rifle down to take some measurements. PMed Robert to verify the address i have for him and will send to him. It may help some QC issues, or its my rifle. Larry says the best option is to reset the head space at the very low end or even shorter than spec to eliminate the problem. Closing the bolt will be ok even when short, it may just have some resistance.

I have had deep primers in other calibers but did not result in misfires. But yes they are below the head of the brass. The brass primer pocket can be in spec but on the deep side. Then add a primer that the cup is on the short end of the spec, then add a marginal shoulder radius, top it off with a low end head space length. They all "stack" and may cause this. Add a high side head space in the rifle and bingo, higher than normal failures.

In my Winchester nickel brass the Remington primers are flush not recessed like what i am seeing with this lot of bulk factory primed brass. I will take a quick look at my OTM factory loaded ammo and compare it to this brass. Lol before i was looking for backed out primers, now the opposite.

It will all get sorted out eventually.