Dumb ass gun store personal

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

phatdad
Silent Operator

Re: Dumb ass gun store personal

Post by phatdad »

renegade wrote:
phatdad wrote:Just got off the phone with my local Cabela's. The gunshop employee told me that "nobody will be making 300 blackout for 12-18 months because they are all too busy making .223..300 blackout comes from the same casing and the demand is so high for .223.....blah blah"
I also just got a supply of bullets from ammotogo and the day my package arrived their price went down $4 a box.
This is getting annoying. Maybe I should stick to archery.
Midway has all kinds of 300 BLK in stock. I picked up some Barnes 110 TSX last week.

Yeah limit 5 boxes per customer!
Adam21
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Adam21 »

Academy Sports a few weeks ago-

Customer "Can I please see this .45?" indicating to a 1911 model
Gun Counter Guy (GCG) "Sure" opens case...
GCG, attempting to condition check (at least he knew to check) "Its not letting me pull the slide back" hands over pistol, unconfirmed clear....

Like so many posts here and other boards, I go to the shops to look for guns and ammo, not information.
Calphalon cookware
BFGoodrich All Terrains
a pet rabbit
some rocks, an oak tree
and a Red Ryder
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

O.K- gonna flip this subject and call it Dumbass folks that have no business owning firearms. I was hanging out in my favorite LGS about a month ago. A young guy comes in with incredibly hot girlfriend, looks at the owner and states " I have three bullets stuck in this rifle. " He is very animated and is holding the rifle in one hand and shaking it up and down. John, without saying a word, takes the rifle out of the kids hands, clears it, yep-live one in the chamber, looks in the barrel and politely gives the kid the name of a gunsmith in the area. I congratulated John on not being distracted by the girl and thanked him for keeping us safe. Don't think I could have remained that calm. It was a beautiful Remington 700, probably his grandpaw's, in 30-06. I guess they were all squibs because the barrel was intact and he wasn't missing a face :roll:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

At the LGS where I work we do strive to be different. We do not talk down to customers and we try to spend as much time as we can with customers and be helpful. Yeah, we who work there all have our opinions but we also know that we can learn from our customers. We try to create an enjoyable, friendly, welcoming and non-intimidating atmosphere.

Sadly, we are an exception to the rule. We've been open just a year and our owners started the store because they got tired of the typical gun store experience.

All gun stores need to mind how they treat new customers. Without a base of new customers entering into the sport our sport will suffer.
velo555
Silent But Deadly

Post by velo555 »

LiveFreeorDie wrote:
Dieselblackout wrote:Move to Greenville SC! We have a bunch of gun stores. Yes at a couple they want MSRP and talk down to customers. The rest know what they're doing and at least 4 of these sell Class 3. Ordered an SDN6 and Specre 2 today from Freedom gun. Charlie is a friend of mine and a good human being.
+1 on that! I didn't realize how fortunate we are in Greenville. And another +1 on Charlie "Dexter". Good man and a pleasure to do business with. Bet I've seen you in there and didn't know it.
+1 on moving to Greenville SC. We now have a bunch of good indoor ranges. Palmetto State Armory opened a store. A Cabela's that will open soon. I know we have a bunch of sales clerks (non gun people) who work at a bunch of our shops but damn we gotta a ton of places to go to now days.

Never been to Freedom Gun and Pawn. I know there prices are good and I hear good things about them. I wanted to buy a gun from them a few years ago on new years eve. But they closed at least 2 hours earlier than they told me they would over the phone. My $620 went to another LGS that I found less than a mile from my house.

Anyways always good to find other people from the upstate on here.
Victor Lopez
Pointnpull
Silent But Deadly

Post by Pointnpull »

rebel wrote:O.K- gonna flip this subject and call it Dumbass folks that have no business owning firearms. I was hanging out in my favorite LGS about a month ago. A young guy comes in with incredibly hot girlfriend, looks at the owner and states " I have three bullets stuck in this rifle. " He is very animated and is holding the rifle in one hand and shaking it up and down. John, without saying a word, takes the rifle out of the kids hands, clears it, yep-live one in the chamber, looks in the barrel and politely gives the kid the name of a gunsmith in the area. I congratulated John on not being distracted by the girl and thanked him for keeping us safe. Don't think I could have remained that calm. It was a beautiful Remington 700, probably his grandpaw's, in 30-06. I guess they were all squibs because the barrel was intact and he wasn't missing a face :roll:
Did the owner, "John", disable the rifle before giving it back? Such as removing the bolt? I'm not sure I could have given the rifle back to the owner otherwise.

I'd much rather go to the "Mom and Pop" gunshops around here than the bigbox stores. The small store owners around here know a lot more about guns, gun safety, and their products than anything like Dick's or Academy. I can't stand to ask to see a pistol at places like Academy; the clerk usually muzzle flashes everyone standing at the counter, and like stated above sometimes doesn't clear the pistol or remove the magazine, and I'm not bashful about calling them on it when it happens.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Yeah, he took out the bolt before handing it back to the rube.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.