CMMG upper issues

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

JohnInNH
Elite Member

Re: CMMG upper issues

Post by JohnInNH »

\
Quiet Riot wrote:
civilian75 wrote:I am on the fence about telling CMMG. They screwed me on the warranty thing, why should I help them? If you are a praying person, you are welcome to try swaying me to the other side. :)
They read this forum. They already know, I'm sure.

Well if they are reading this they owe you a huge apology, and should be grateful YOU spent all your time discovering THEIR quality problem.

Just an FYI I have spent my $ on a different brand upper. Cost to repair yours is about what they may have made on a sale of an upper to me and 2 others for sure who have scratched them off their lists of suppliers, and one still not sure about getting uppers or bolt guns. But I can tell you one company they will not buy them from when they make up their minds.

It is the right thing to do to inform them of the QC issue. 2 wrongs do not make a right. You are a better man than they are, your letting them know may help some other person. It may even prevent something BAD from happening to some innocent person. (I will guilt you into it LOL)

It is unfortunate your honesty went unrewarded. The big guy upstairs may make it up to you in other ways. :-)

Keep the faith!
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
SpaceWrangler
Silent But Deadly

Post by SpaceWrangler »

I found this on Lightfighter tonight...
Originally posted by 1feral1:
Ok, my turn to pass the helmet...

I once was on a project building up A2's from A1's... Army FTR level in western Sydney, about 1999/2000....

Often the only original component was the lower, and some were even makred Colt XM16E1! Also many GMC's and of course Colt A1's etc.

With building up new bolt/bolt carrier groups from scratch, many had to have the gas key attached to the carrier (some came as an assembly with key attached). At test fire, we too had many fail with insufficent gas, causing a number of stoppages....

The screws were tight and staked as per our EMEI's, and after many attempts we still had some which continually failed, so we spoke to the ultimate M16 Guru (at that time I though I was in the know overall), who had been doing these since the days of Viet Nam...

His solution was to use Loctite 401, and it worked, allowing a tight seal between the carrier and the base of the gas key, with torqued screws staked, all was well. Problem solved.

To this day there is nothing in the directives we used on rebuilds for this method.

Remember this is at the FTR level. The solution was effecitve, and ever since with a rebuild from scratch (for me last one was 2004), I followed this process and never had a insufficent gas issue with gas keys ever again...

Don't you just love love happy endings.

I am happy to see Loctite is used elsewhere.

Regards,

1feral1
Loctite 401 is a low-viscosity cyanoacrylate-based adhesive (as is Crazy Glue).
civilian75
Senior Silent Operator

Post by civilian75 »

SpaceWrangler wrote:Loctite 401 is a low-viscosity cyanoacrylate-based adhesive (as is Crazy Glue).
Loctite 401/Crazy Glue?! Why not Loctite Red? Sorry for my ignorance.
Quiet Riot wrote:They read this forum. They already know, I'm sure.
I suspected that much.
JohnInNH wrote: I will guilt you into it LOL
It worked! :mrgreen: Apology or not, will tell CMMG. Not for me, not for them, but for their customer's sake. They deserve a product that works right the first time.

Next stop will be a Noveske pistol upper once my Form 1 clears, or maybe I will assemble one myself.

If anyone can loan or rent me Go-No-Go gauges for a couple of days, it would be great. Will pre-pay postage both ways.
SpaceWrangler
Silent But Deadly

Post by SpaceWrangler »

civilian75 wrote:
SpaceWrangler wrote:Loctite 401 is a low-viscosity cyanoacrylate-based adhesive (as is Crazy Glue).
In the quoted post, the writer says it's used between the Gas Key and Carrier as an adhesive and sealant, not as a threadlocker on the Gas Key Screws.
Blackwind

Post by Blackwind »

With the lack of commercial rounds available and cost for what is.....that is an extremely poor stance to take. That marks CMMG off my list of potential uppers.
HotHolster
Silent But Deadly

Post by HotHolster »

Hi everyone. I'm new on the forum and I have a CMMG 16' upper, carbine length gas system, with a Spikes BCG, non suppressed. I went out to shoot for the first time a week ago and using supersonic 130gr and 125gr, the upper fed and cycled properly. Then I put in a mag of 220gr. subsonic and one round would fire but the bolt wouldn't cycle and feed another round. It was extremely difficult to pull the charging handle back to eject the spent case. The mag was inserted again and another round went into the chamber and fired but the bolt would not cycle. This went on for ten rounds, so I took some 220gr. and mixed them with some 125 and 130gr in the same mag and tried that way. Same thing, the bolt wouldn't cycle after firing a 220gr subsonic. I then gave up on the subsonic ammo. (Gunn Ammo if it makes a difference).

Last Tuesday I spoke with Chris at CMMG about the problem and he explained the CMMG chart showing subsonic ammo was acceptable for a 16" non suppressed carbine gas length system was wrong, and that subsonic ammo will not cycle in that configuration. Chris told me he was trying to get someone within the organization to change the chart but has had no success at this time. He further stated he is catching a lot of complaints from buyers who went with that system because the chart did indicate subsonic could be used without being suppressed and there are a lot of shooters who for one reason or another do not or cannot have suppressed guns.

I guess the good thing is that I only bought two boxes of 220gr subsonic to try out and not a case or two like some shooters according to Chris, and the accuracy out of the box was pretty decent. I had added a rear BUIS and I had to adjust it two clicks up for dead center at 25 yards. (no optic yet so I didn't go further)

Since then I have ordered and received a shipment of UMC ammo from Bullseye Range and Guns out of Georgia, and when I decide what optic to put on, I'll head back out to sight the gun in for hog hunting.

If anyone wants this info:

125gr. chrono'd-----130gr chrono'd
1895fps----------- 1974fps
1885--------------1909
1923--------------1933
1861--------------1941
1904--------------1945
1918--------------1921
1977--------------1961
1960--------------1934
1904--------------1953
1935-------------- 1925

Trigger pull: PSA LPK/stock trigger (5 tests)
7.13 lbs
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Blackwind wrote:With the lack of commercial rounds available and cost for what is.....that is an extremely poor stance to take. That marks CMMG off my list of potential uppers.
Me too. I will be putting together my second 300BLK this year and was considering them, NOT AFTER THIS. CMMG, I want you to understand that it is not that you had a problem (as those things happen) but it was your total lack of customer service.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

If you are are having issues with cmmg stuff and are not getting things taken care of. Call and to talk to John.
Last edited by 66427vette on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bollinger Arms
FFL/SOT
Saint Louis , MO
[email protected]
Bjbfirearms.com
civilian75
Senior Silent Operator

Post by civilian75 »

SpaceWrangler wrote:
civilian75 wrote:
In the quoted post, the writer says it's used between the Gas Key and Carrier as an adhesive and sealant, not as a threadlocker on the Gas Key Screws.
I am still having trouble visualizing where would the glue be applied. I don't even want to speculate :|
Last edited by civilian75 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
civilian75
Senior Silent Operator

Post by civilian75 »

HotHolster wrote:Since then I have ordered and received a shipment of UMC ammo from Bullseye Range and Guns out of Georgia, and when I decide what optic to put on, I'll head back out to sight the gun in for hog hunting.

If anyone wants this info:

125gr. chrono'd-----130gr chrono'd
1895fps----------- 1974fps
1885--------------1909
1923--------------1933
1861--------------1941
1904--------------1945
1918--------------1921
1977--------------1961
1960--------------1934
1904--------------1953
1935-------------- 1925
Wow! That is slow muzzle velocity. That's not very close to 7.62x39 ballistics! This is one area 300 AAC Blackout I think failed to deliver, in my book.