Ruger Mini-14 chambered in 300 BLK

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300Blk
Site Admin

Re: Ruger Mini-14 chambered in 300 BLK

Post by 300Blk »

Those are ok prices, but normal prices. I don't think of Gunbroker as ever cheap, and they are $730+shipping+credit card fee all day long on Gunbroker.
USBP379
Silent But Deadly

Post by USBP379 »

I haven't really paid attention but I want to say the 223Rem version sells for just over $700 at my local Walmart. Hopefully we'll see the 300BLK model hover around that same price once the newness wears off.
WasDustyJacket
Senior Silent Operator

Post by WasDustyJacket »

This week I paid $748 at a local store, plus tax.
Shoot softly, and carry a big clip.
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

My local WM has (and has had) a blued Mini-14 chambered in 223/5.56 for some time now for $597. Common sense and the "laws" of supply and demand dictate that the 300BLK version will probably NEVER be down below $675 or so.

Also IMO,no matter the chambering,a Mini is a Mini,is a Mini,is a Mini,etc,etc. You will never get the same accuracy out of the gun that you will a AR,bolt,or single shot. This,unless you allow Accuracy Systems or others do their "magic" to it for another $700 or so. The very best bang for the buck is simply another trigger. Usually for <$60.

While I'm at it,I will also predict that the Mini 300BLK will not shoot both subs and supers,of all different loadings,as well as a properly tuned AR with an adjustable gas. --- pruhdlr
Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
STONER 63A / XM177E2
mrbumps

Post by mrbumps »

Finally got to fire mine today. The range was packed and I just shot with the factory iron sights at 50 yards. No problem busting clays with it at that distance. I have a red dot I am going to mount and see what it does on paper the next time. Being a Mini, I am not expecting a whole lot. Ran like a clock with no malfunctions of any type. I used factory Barnes and Hornady 110 grain, and some 125 grain reloads. One thing I noticed is that the brass only flew around 6 to 10 feet. I had a Mini 30 and that thing threw brass at least 30 feet.
WasDustyJacket
Senior Silent Operator

Post by WasDustyJacket »

pruhdlr wrote: While I'm at it,I will also predict that the Mini 300BLK will not shoot both subs and supers,of all different loadings,as well as a properly tuned AR with an adjustable gas. --- pruhdlr
The book says: shoot supersonic without a suppressor, and subsonic with a suppressor.
(There were a lot more words like malfunction, damage, etc)
Shoot softly, and carry a big clip.
USBP379
Silent But Deadly

Post by USBP379 »

pruhdlr wrote:My local WM has (and has had) a blued Mini-14 chambered in 223/5.56 for some time now for $597. Common sense and the "laws" of supply and demand dictate that the 300BLK version will probably NEVER be down below $675 or so.

Also IMO,no matter the chambering,a Mini is a Mini,is a Mini,is a Mini,etc,etc. You will never get the same accuracy out of the gun that you will a AR,bolt,or single shot. This,unless you allow Accuracy Systems or others do their "magic" to it for another $700 or so. The very best bang for the buck is simply another trigger. Usually for <$60.

While I'm at it,I will also predict that the Mini 300BLK will not shoot both subs and supers,of all different loadings,as well as a properly tuned AR with an adjustable gas. --- pruhdlr
I don't think anyone's made the claim that the Mini will outshoot a bolt gun or an AR but I'm sure the new gun will do just fine if one keeps a realistic expectation of accuracy. My Mini-30 will usually shoot 3" or 4" with irons at 100 yards.

According to Mark Gurney (seen here in the Ruger video) the new Mini will run unsuppressed with some brands of subsonic ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGBXtf_GVAY

Also, David Badhe shows that the gun will work unsuppressed with at least a couple types of subsonic ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymfdQ_pD-d0
Sgt45
Silent Operator

Post by Sgt45 »

Bought one yesterday, got to the range today. Supers ran fine suppressed and unsuppressed with maybe a 1" shift in POI at 25 yards (all I could get indoors), I had a bunch of 200 gr hollow point that refused to run in any of my AR's and it shot just fine in the Ruger suppressed. I didn't try it unsuppressed. Accuracy was better with the can off, but not by a whole lot. I really need to get out to 100 yards and try this out. All in all, I was very pleased with how the Ruger ran.
USBP379
Silent But Deadly

Post by USBP379 »

Sgt45 wrote:Bought one yesterday, got to the range today. Supers ran fine suppressed and unsuppressed with maybe a 1" shift in POI at 25 yards (all I could get indoors), I had a bunch of 200 gr hollow point that refused to run in any of my AR's and it shot just fine in the Ruger suppressed. I didn't try it unsuppressed. Accuracy was better with the can off, but not by a whole lot. I really need to get out to 100 yards and try this out. All in all, I was very pleased with how the Ruger ran.
Cool!

How's the blowback and "gas face" with the Mini's open design?
Sgt45
Silent Operator

Post by Sgt45 »

I had zero blowback with the SDN-6 can. I remember now, the video saying use the picatinny rail to avoid this and I do have the rail on the rifle as the scope is 30mm and the ring Ruger sent with the gun were 1".