Ruger Mini-14 chambered in 300 BLK

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

hendog

Re: Ruger Mini-14 chambered in 300 BLK

Post by hendog »

I just picked up a Mini 14 300 Blackout. I mounted a Nikon 2x7 scope using the supplied Ruger rings. The dealer though in a box of Hornady 110gn V-max ammo. I shot it last week at 50yds and it grouped about 1" but, it blew out a few primers.

I went back to the range with a box of S & B 124gr FMJ and 10rds of hand loaded Remington 125gr PSP with 18.0 grns of W-296. Both loads look promising but, the trigger pull is awful. I am sending the trigger assembly off tomorrow to Accuracy Systems for there basic trigger job.

Beside the poor trigger pull, I am very happy with the purchase. I did own a Mini 30 about 25 years ago and always wished I would of kept it.
Mini14me

Post by Mini14me »

I wanted to throw my unsolicited opinion in here.

A few months back I sold my mini 14 5.56 and bought a mini 300. It is for pig hunting to replace my 44 mag bolt gun after an unfortunate standoff with a wounded sow and and empty chamber. That's another story.

I immediately sent the trigger to accuracy systems like I had done with my previous mini.

When it returned I purchased the only box of 300 blk ammo in the tri-county area and headed to the range.

I mounted a luepold 2x7 and set to work. First three shot group was 12 moa at 100 yds. Check the rings, rail, rest, etc. Second three shots were 14 moa. Went home, swapped scopes, remounted the rail, replaced the rings, disassembled the rifle, cleaned it, inspected the crown and return to the range.

Slow fire and lots of tinkering and not improvement.

I contacted Ruger and asked for an inspection. They rejected my request based on the fact that I had had the trigger work done.

Ordered some tac-tx from Barnes. Same story. Ordered cheap stuff from s and b. No dice.

I was pretty frustrated at this point. With some research I ended up shimming the stock. The receiver had about 1/32" of side to side play. 2 pieces of credit card glued in place, and I cut my groups in half.

Progress.

By chance Someone at the range noticed that I had to tighten the flash hider occasionally. In fact, when I paid attention, it would loosen after two shots no matter how hard I torqued it. I removed it. And cut my groups in half again.

Now I'm down to 2-3 inches at 50 yards. But no ammo and nowhere to find it and frankly, no money when I did.

A cheap Lee press from Amazon and I'm back in the business of reloading. It had been a lot of years, but it is like riding a bike.

Now I have loads shooting 1-1.5" at fifty yards. That's minute of squeal every day the way I hunt them.

In the end it was a good story and I was able to meet my expectations of the rifle. But man was it a lot of work. I have not had the same results out of the box. Ruger has some strange rules.

And I miss my 5.56.
hendog

Post by hendog »

Mini14me,

glad you figured out all the problems yours had. I knew Ruger would not do warranty work after trigger mod but, I could not deal with the 8lb trigger it came with.

I plan on using mine for my annual black tail deer hunt this fall. It likes 125gn bullets with near max load of W-296.

Hendog
shootzen

Post by shootzen »

Has me thinking that obtaining a second trigger group for a trigger job and leave the original trigger group unmodified, might be a good approach? I'm not familiar with Ruger Mini-14's and what might be available for aftermarket parts for the trigger group.