best bullet weight for a 16" carbine barrel supersonic

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

da bugman
Silent But Deadly

best bullet weight for a 16" carbine barrel supersonic

Post by da bugman »

I loaded my first rounds last night.

Case capacity for the 300 seems to be about 20 grs of h110. what bullet weight will give the best supersonic downrange performance on deer and pig size animals. Do the 110's shoot that much flater than tha 125's or 150's

I loaded 10 of each bullet:

20 grs of h110 with the 110 gr speer and hornday ( spire points) and barnes tac's

18.5 of h110 with the barnes ttsx 135's

16.5 of h110 with the sieria match kings 150's

Any idea how many fps I can expect from these loads. It's a 8 twist noveske barrel so it should handle the long copper bullets and the 150 well. It is set up with a standard buffer.

JD
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Re: best bullet weight for a 16" carbine barrel supersonic

Post by 82nd airborne »

I like the hornady 130g.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
da bugman
Silent But Deadly

Post by da bugman »

I found some whisper data for 10 " contender. 110 -150 gr bullets all generate about 1100 ft pounds. running 2150 for the 110's and 1800 for the 150's. I will check the bc's and fps and see if there is a decide advantage. I am guessing not and the the midrange of 125 or 130 is the way to go.I am thinking with the limited case capacity of the blackout you will only see at most a 20 percent differance in fps between a 10" and a 16" barrel

JD
jhrgr

Post by jhrgr »

82nd airborne wrote:I like the hornady 130g.
Do you have a pet load for these out of a 9" & 16" barrel ?
I have several hundred of these and have never tried them.
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

I like 20gr of H110 (N110 is better as ball and flake powders are nasty, but not many people use them due to price and availability, and lack of knowledge one the difference) loaded out to full magazine length, which gives you much better accuracy, as there is not such a drastic jump before the bullet engages the rifling.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

82nd airborne wrote:(N110 is better as ball and flake powders are nasty, but not many people use them due to price and availability, and lack of knowledge one the difference)
What are you using to dispense V-N110? About one out of three drops through my Redding powder measure will go crunch and none of the drops meter very consistently when they don't crunch. Is there a better way than trickling into a balance beam scale?

I'd like to use this powder for both 44 mag subsonic, and blackout supersonic. (when I run out of W296 that is)

Thanks.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

Im using an old herters powder measure that throws almost everything (even trailboss) accuratly. There is another on the market currently that is well known for its ability to throw all powders pretty well. I will see if I can dig that up for you.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Try the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. They are so cheap you can get one for each load and never adjust them. I also have http://www.harrellsprec.com/ and they don't meter better but have the big advantage of being able to repeat the settings. But you can buy like 10 of the Lee for the same price.
jasonusvi
Silent But Deadly

Post by jasonusvi »

silencertalk wrote:Try the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. They are so cheap you can get one for each load and never adjust them. I also have http://www.harrellsprec.com/ and they don't meter better but have the big advantage of being able to repeat the settings. But you can buy like 10 of the Lee for the same price.
+1 ... Ive got 4 Lee's currently. Have been wondering if the Hornady is a better powder drop with its swappable meters left at a particular setting for each load.
A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. – P. J. O'Rourke