300blk vs. .308

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300blk vs. .308

Post by 82nd airborne »

da bugman wrote:
82nd airborne wrote:If I had an IQ over 20 I would post a picture of our 700SA in BLK, set up as a nightime/suppressed, racoon killing machine. I like both for subsonic applications. Most people that get poor accuracy out of the .308 with subs are not using a 1:8 twist, which makes it an unfair comparison. I have found that 240's out of either in a bolt gun are amazing.
One advantage that the .308 has, is that you can run 220 SMK's out of it, with a long throat and loaded long, and get some very, very impressive ballistics.
One advantage that the BLK has is that you can use light charges of pistol powders for subs and make it sound hollywoodish. I do that in .308 and '06 too, but its not reccomended.
.30BR makes a pretty cool sub round too, but I like the BLK better. The BR has the advantage of a longer neck, making it better for cast.

I have a wildcat called 7 tnt. Its a 308 shorted to br lenght with a 35 degree shoulder and a tight neck to 7mm, I get 7-08 performance with br accuracy and a better bc than 308 dia.

I am thinking of haveing it necked down to 6.5 it would make a great subsonic suppressed round. 140's with a bc over 500 and 180 round noses when you need mass.Real high sd for good penetration. It would shoot flater and buck the wind better than .308. A 6.5 blk could have a lot of promis in a bolt gun.

JD
That, my friend, would be an awesome round!
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.