Alternative Caliber Practice

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

divewrx

Alternative Caliber Practice

Post by divewrx »

Greetings All!

Merry Christmas everyone, and Happy Holidays. Since I know we all want more ammo for Christmas, and most... of our spouses want to buy us a new sweater or necktie, And since 300 Blk ammo is so darn expensive, I'm considering alternatives for practice that are/can be close to real feel.

My primary HD weapon is an Sig Rattler in 300 ilk (Obviously) with a 5.5" barrel and a 7" AAC suppressor under a 12" MI hand guard. I also run an EO Tech EXPS3-4 and a DBAL-A3 on a GBRS Hydra mount for use in the house if ever needed. My wml is a SF 300V Scout light. My HD ammo is Hornady 190gr Subsonic.

Since 300 Blk ammo has become so expensive, My reason for all the detail is I'm considering utilizing another rifle for practice with cheap (non-expensive) ammo. I've narrowed my present choices down to a 7.5" Adams Arms Piston AR in 5.56 with a 7" AAC can. or a Sig MPX with a 5" barrel and a 7.5" Ti-Rant 9 can with 147gr subsonic ammo.

What do ya'll think? Pros, Cons and otherwise. Please remember my intention is not stopping power or the like, but simulation of my regular Home Defense rifle...

Thanks for any input you may be able to offer.

Phil...
excess650
Silent But Deadly

Re: Alternative Caliber Practice

Post by excess650 »

First off, 300BO is pretty inexpensive to load, and particulary if using heavy, powder coated cast bullets.

If you want inexpensive, just buy a 223/556 upper and add a CMMG 22LR conversion. Short barreled 223/556s are incredibly loud and make hellacious fireballs.

Likewise, you could put a 9mm upper on your existing lower, ammo would be less expensive, and noise and flash wouldn't be ridiculous. It would require changing your buffer and sprig when swapping uppers, but would retain the same ergos . The Sig MPX is really cool, but expensive, so no $$ savings there.

Honestly, I think a shotgun is a better choice for home defense. 18-1/2" semi or pump with #4 or #1 buck will take care of business.
Black Rifles Matter
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

I think after buying the new hardware the cost of the 300 BLK ammo would have been the same or meaningless. If you want a new firearm just buy it 'cause it's not going to save you money.

But as already stated if you really want savings and practice then reload. That way you'll use your existing hardware (no better way to practice) and it's real feel.

The payback cost of the reloading gear depends on how much you shoot. But the gear will outlive you even if you're young. I've been using my single stage press for over 50 years and the progressive press going on 20 years.
Roadrunner1969

Post by Roadrunner1969 »

I say practice with what you will be using for home defense. There is no substitute for familiarity with your weapon when the adrenaline is high and time and distances are short.
Pinpoint accuracy is not the prime objective in a home defense situation, so get some cheap bullets, reload, and get to where you can operate that thing in your sleep.
divewrx

Post by divewrx »

Thank you all for the rapid reply! I really appreciate it very much. I have time to investigate all of my options, and intend to get as many opinions as I can. That doesn't mean I don't value the opinions already shared here.

Excess650: I have thought of reloading, but my storage capabilities and a place to set up a reloading press are extremely limited. A 22lr conversion kit is not really an option for my SIG MCX platform rifles as they are piston driven vs direct impingement, so a kit won't work with them. I could use a conversion kit on the AA 7.5" 5.56, but my whole attempt is to replicate the feel of recoil, dispersion, feel, and shock of the 300 Blk Rattler. Plus I already have the 5.56 shorty w/ a Can so it mitigates the noise for the most part (Still loud)... I already have the MPX (with a can) also, I don't need to buy one. I'm just trying to get opinions on which would be the closest simulator of the 300Blk. Alas, I do have shotguns, as a former AVID hunter I have a few shotguns in various gauges, but as a former LEO I'm more worried about the POSSIBILITY of multiple intruders, and want more rounds to reply to whatever threat may be present.

BJK: There is no more Real cost. I already have the firearms I spoke of, plus a FEW more... I'm more interested in opinions of which options simulates all of the Feeling/operation of the 300 Blk Sig Rattler w/ Suppressor with a cheaper ammo cost. So I can do MORE practice. Reloading, as suggested, sounds like the best option. But the problem still remains room for storage of supplies, atmospheric control for the storage, and room to set up a reloading bench/setup. DAMN, 300 Blk ammo, even the cheap stuff has gotten really expensive.

Raodrunner1969: I agree with you 100% about practice with what you use. The last 20 or so rounds of every practice session I shoot are with carry or HD ammo depending on what I'm shooting at the time. Old LEO habits are hard to break sometimes. BTW, I retired from the FD, I was just a LEO while I was in the FD.

All, Thanks again for the assistance/support... Any other options/opinions will be greatly appreciated. As you can probably tell, I'm a planner, and like to make informed decisions...
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Personally, I don't see a need. Just dry fire what you got. You know where the sight, trigger, safety and handle are. Grab the gun, load (whatever is needed), safety off and sight picture. Now if you want a triple in 2 sec, just practice more.