300 HAM'r

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

300 HAM'r

Post by cwlongshot »

Has anyone partaken? :mrgreen:

Love the lil
Blk but intrested in other calibers too and this one is intreaguing. Almost picked one up when they came out. Or a year or so after... But didnt. Life took over and just now revisiting.

Curious if anyone else has traveled this road.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
popper
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 HAM'r

Post by popper »

attila.
Silent But Deadly

Post by attila. »

I heard about it via the MDWS forum, but there’s lots more info at a https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubb ... /7506626/1

300 Ham’r sounds awesome, producing 1600-1800 lb-ft of energy with a decent 277WLV-like trajectory. However, it’s predecessor the 7.62x40 is basically just as good for most light projectiles, and, with a slightly shorter case length than the 300 Ham’r (”7.62x41”), it also fits the M80 ball, so I had MDWS make me an 18” 7.62x40.

If that’s important to you, then the x40 may be a better choice than the 300 Ham’r. If not, and because of SAAMI approval and full factory support, 300 Ham’r would be a better choice.

Hindsight:
2200 fps with the M80 plinkers out of an 18” x40 is not that much better than 1900 fps out of my 10.5” 300BLK.

If you have a satisfactory M80 ball load for the 300BLK, it’s not really as beneficial to have the ability to fit them in the x40 as I had initially thought.

I decided to normally run M80s in the 300BLK and designate all of my remaining 110 Varmageddon and 125 NBT for use in the x40. They will will last me a decade at the rate that I shoot the x40. Perhaps I’ll find some other .308 bullet to shine in the x40, but I haven’t yet.

Afterthought:
With a 100-200 lb-ft relative deficit, the 277WLV is overshadowed by both the x40 & Ham’r, but I have lots of bonded and solid copper bullets for the 277WLV, while my x40 bullets are all unbonded. If I need to hunt predators or hogs for extermination, I’ll reach for the x40 (Ham’r if I had it), but for harvesting game (deer) to eat, I’ll be better served by the 277WLV or even the 300BLK with Barnes black tips.

I hope this helps.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

For me the numbers did not add up, if chambered in an AR. The magazine length is too limiting. Single shot or AI magazine bolt action it would make a difference, throated to take advantage of heavier bullets, it has a lot more potential, as in 2500 fps+ 150 grain.

Keep in mind, I prefer 150 grain and up supers, and have no problem pushing 110’s over 2600 fps in the Blackout. You just have to be comfortable with short seating depths.

Oddly enough I am currently working with a 32-30 Remington Hepburn (309” groove), which for all practical purposes is a rimmed 300 Hamr that never took off. It was designed for the Hepburn target rifles around 1884 using a 125 grain bullet and expected to compete with the 32-40 with bullets twicethe weight.

I’m actually thinking about rechambering a Handi rifle!
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I built a SCR rifle which is AR based but was 50 state legal as of a few years ago. Anyhow, I made it a 350 Legend and its been a problem since the get go. I have a bolt and thats a dandy. Accurate reliable and fills a nitch. This is going to be replaced. The HAM'r is a good proposition as uts a barrel swap.

I have had a "watch" on dies for a bunch of months. Last month a set popped up for 20$ brand new so I grabbed them. Over the last week I have made a few hundred cases.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS