accuracy with sierra 125gn pro hunter

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

blaster
Silent But Deadly

Re: accuracy with sierra 125gn pro hunter

Post by blaster »

my experience with that bullet out of a 300 BLK at 2170 fps is that it punches through hogs like a FMJ bullet. not good for hunting. but they do shoot good.
peace through superior firepower
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

zzookkii wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:04 pm Why wouldn t you load that bullet in 300 blk if it s supposed to shoot anything from 100 to 230 grain in .308? With what bullets do you get good in .308?

And yeah I started with max load according to their manual, because at lower speeds that bullet is not interesting for hunting use.. Figured it would be safe because it is manual from Vihtavouri and for that specific bullet
I assumed you wanted the bullets for hunting since you are loading for max' velocity. But 300BLK is velocity limited due to powder capacity. It's not a bad thing, it's just something we work within with the cartridge.

All bullets have a velocity window that they expand within. Too little velocity and they don't do what is expected or desired. It can't be assumed. Sierra will tell you what velocity is required, all it takes is to contact them and ask. I suspect that bullet is intended for higher velocities than we can reach with 300BLK. I have a bunch on the shelf that I bought for .308 Win'. But I also never did what I suggested you do... contact Sierra. For .308 Win velocity I know that it'll expand (my use). 300BLK? IDK. That's why I'm not loading the bullet in 300BLK, you are. It's up to you to do the "legwork" and that's as simple as using your keyboard. You might also spend some time reading the appropriate subforums here to find bullets that will work and maybe the Sierra 125s will be among those.

Why don't reloaders start with max' loads? Because we don't have the exact same test firearm that the load was worked up with. Another firearm identical to the test firearm isn't exact to the test firearm. Loading to the max' load from the start is asking for problems. I just discussed the firearm, there's also powder lot, and primer to consider and nothing is 100% precise. It's your head and eyes at risk if the firearm can't handle a pressure excursion that can't be predicted. So for safety we never, and I really do mean never, start at the top with max' loads. We start low and work up. It's safer that way. Pressure is our friend, but it can become an enemy in a nanosecond. I'm going to suggest that you do a 'net search for information on reloading for beginners, for your safety. We all start at the beginning and that's not a put down. We learn to crawl before we walk. First comes the rules of reloading that has been acquired over decades from countless reloaders, second comes actual reloading, and that comes after learning the safety rules.

Very few cartridges require max' loads to work. What does work is the proper bullet placed properly on the quarry. If more energy is required it's time to move to another cartridge and not load hot. Things just work better that way since all firearms have their design limits; again, safety. You only have one set of eyes and the peak pressure is just inches from them.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Your bullet is stable, look for a different problem. Check runout of loaded ammo by rolling on flat surface - nose should not wobble. Some seater die don't like pointy bullets. 125sst from 16" 1:8 bergara (CVA SS) works fine for me with H110. 110vmax is shorter and still no problem, just seat out farther. Probably need to barely flare the case mouth for easier seating. Lee FLARE tool - called expander is fine. Measure expander ball in sizing die, should be 305-306.