208 grain Hornady A-MAX expansion out of 5.5" barrel?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

208 grain Hornady A-MAX expansion out of 5.5" barrel?

Post by voip-1 »

Does anyone happen to know if the 208 grain subsonic Hornady AMAX hollow point 300BLK ammo will achieve expansion velocity when fired out of a 5.5" barrel?

Kind find this info and don't want to have to do a gel test myself to find out if the info is known.

Thanks
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Re: 208 grain Hornady A-MAX expansion out of 5.5" barrel?

Post by voip-1 »

So I found a few threads indicating this ammo choice is actually terrible for expansion out of even 16" barrels.

Looks like I will need to get some Lehigh max expansion bullets and load my own cartridges for my application.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Barrel length really has nothing to do with bullet expansion at subsonic speeds. Basically it’s always going to need to be under 1100 fps if it’s subsonic at reasonable temps.

So if you want the 208 Amax to expand at a subsonic velocity. It’s really easy. Just shoot at temps around 1,000* F (1000 degrees). The speed of sound at that temp will be roughly 1850 fps and the bullet will stay subsonic.

The problem that creates, is that lead melts at about 650*, so they won’t likely be stable in flight, if it doesn’t just explode about 3 feet out the muzzle.

Probably easier if you want off the shelf expanding subs would be something like the Hornady 190’s. Underwood loads the Lehighs, gorilla I think still uses the Maker bullets. Or as you said load your own.

Rule of thumb, unless otherwise stated, .308” hunting bullets will expand down to 1800 fps. Made
For 30-30 around 1600, for 300 Blackout down to around 1300. Then specialty bullets for sub sonic.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

Feel a bit bamboozled by Hornady's bamboozery.

I figured if they were marketing a subsonic 208 grain hollow point it would actually expand at subsonic speeds.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

voip-1 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:36 am Feel a bit bamboozled by Hornady's bamboozery.

I figured if they were marketing a subsonic 208 grain hollow point it would actually expand at subsonic speeds.
You’re not the only one who got bamboozeled and Hornady wasn’t to only manufacture doing it. You have to go back to the intent of the cartridge, it wasn’t hunting. Expanding bullets were probably off the table for the test parameters for the military. The original subsonic load was a 220 Matchking.

This is one of the big reasons the cartridge got a bad reputation and so did sub sonic hunting. Poor bullet choice.

A utoober back in the day compared a 45 ACP 230 grain load against the Blackout 220 SMK sub sonic using bullet proof glass. Same energy on impact. The 45 ACP was stopped, the SMK passed through.

One of the so called specialty bullets I would steer away from is the Nosler with the green tip. I think it’s also 190 grain. It has a very high, low velocity threshold. Hardly expands below 1000 fps. Kind of pointless for a dedicated subsonic bullet.

And good for you that your doing research into what will work, instead of most people trying to figure out why it failed.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

voip-1 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:36 am Feel a bit bamboozled by Hornady's bamboozery.

why would you expect a subsonic target load, using a match projectile designed for like 300wm and similar velocity's to be an expanding projectile at subsonic speeds?

nowhere in the product description that i recall ever reading does it say that 208 amax 300 blackout subsonic ammo would be suitable for hunting.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifl ... x-black#!/

says right there its a target/match load.

hth
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.