Adding Holographic or red dot to 300 bo

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BJ123

Adding Holographic or red dot to 300 bo

Post by BJ123 »

Good afternoon folks. I use my 300 for hog hunting and deer hunting in the deep south. I feel I need the accuracy of a dedicated scope (Vortex 1-9) for late afternoon hunting and 100 yard shots in deep woods. My current set up has the scope mounted on top, which I don't want to remove. However, I would like the option of adding a holographic type site for plinking and close range hog hunting. At close range, the scope just doesn't work for hogs. Any ideas on how to have both options?
imashooter2

Re: Adding Holographic or red dot to 300 bo

Post by imashooter2 »

They sell 45°mounts suitable for Burris Fast Fire and similar sized microdots. Best of both worlds. Scope for 99% of your shooting, and the dot ready to go if needed.

Edit: lots of options. Here’s just the first one I found.
https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-R ... B00BQWTBQK
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Why won’t a 1X scope work at close range?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BJ123

Post by BJ123 »

I've tried and it just doesn't work with quick target acquisition in thick woods. Its easy to get one shot off but everything after that is hard to use a scope. A red dot seems like it will work better during the fast action shots.... think 20-30 yard shots in thick brush, jungle swamp like terrain. Really thick and dense...
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I use a one with an illuminated center dot. Seems easier than walking through the woods with your rifle upside down and switching back and forth.

https://www.trijicon.com/uploads/produc ... 200095.pdf

Low light you want the best glass possible. It makes a huge difference
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

I used a LPVO for decades in dense Maine forest on running deer in close quarters and I never missed. I'd set my scope to 1x and it was like a video game that I couldn't lose. But I had years of practice.

OK, I'm not going to make a friend here, but could it be a training issue and not a technology issue? Don't answer that, just think about it. Maybe practice in the basement with an unloaded rifle? That's what I did except I was in an apartment at the time, 20 miles outside NYC, and I only had a living room.

I love red dots and have them on plenty of firearms but they aren't magic and neither is any technology. At some point the user enters into the equation.
BJ123

Post by BJ123 »

good point on the training, that could be a solution. I will mess around with the scope at 1x with some nearby shooting for practice and see how it goes