Adjusting crimp distance on case using Lee Factory Crimp Die

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

SIMJOSH1
Silent Operator

Re: Adjusting crimp distance on case using Lee Factory Crimp Die

Post by SIMJOSH1 »

rebel wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:45 pm I've been shooting the 125 sst now since 2013. Killed a lot of critters with it. I load to 2.11.My hunting load is 18 gr.
Accuracy best at 17.8.
Tried crimping for a while and then figured out that proper neck tension would suffice. Half MOA at 100 yards. Play with brass
types, polish your expander or get bushing dies to control this.
There is absolutely no reason to have that seater deform the bullet if your loading a normal neck ( sized correctly ) or not compressing the crap out of powder, which I don't believe you are.
I also don"t think anything is wrong with the seater. I disagree with SIMJOSH1 that the bullet doesn't work well with the case.It has been proven to be the best hunting bullet in it's weight class by many, many folks.
Edit - BTW, I completely ignore cannelures in center fire rifle.

'
You appear to have read 1 line without any of the context. . . Whole post was with regard to cannalure placement within the 300 blackout case.

I re-read just the first 2 lines and I can see where that makes sense tho!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the bullet... Just if he wants to use published data for COAL the cannalure won't line up. At least that's what I tried saying? Also mentioned that accuracy should dictate if crimping in cannalure will help (seating deeper) if not don't mess with it...
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

SIMJOSH1 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:53 pm
rebel wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:45 pm I've been shooting the 125 sst now since 2013. Killed a lot of critters with it. I load to 2.11.My hunting load is 18 gr.
Accuracy best at 17.8.
Tried crimping for a while and then figured out that proper neck tension would suffice. Half MOA at 100 yards. Play with brass
types, polish your expander or get bushing dies to control this.
There is absolutely no reason to have that seater deform the bullet if your loading a normal neck ( sized correctly ) or not compressing the crap out of powder, which I don't believe you are.
I also don"t think anything is wrong with the seater. I disagree with SIMJOSH1 that the bullet doesn't work well with the case.It has been proven to be the best hunting bullet in it's weight class by many, many folks.
Edit - BTW, I completely ignore cannelures in center fire rifle.

'
You appear to have read 1 line without any of the context. . . Whole post was with regard to cannalure placement within the 300 blackout case.

I re-read just the first 2 lines and I can see where that makes sense tho!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the bullet... Just if he wants to use published data for COAL the cannalure won't line up. At least that's what I tried saying? Also mentioned that accuracy should dictate if crimping in cannalure will help (seating deeper) if not don't mess with it...
May be guilty of that, or not. :roll:
Fact is, proven bullet over the years and accuracy occurs in most chambers at 2.1something and 17.8 to 18 gr of h110/ w296.
Forget the cannelure. It means nothing, which is what you were trying to say. 8)
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I hate to piss on everybody’s Cheerios on this one, that is one bullet that works extremely well loaded to the cannelure

With a trim of 1.355” and a COL of 2.100” puts the case mouth right in the groove and the base of the bullet about .020” below the shoulder. You can move the bullet right to the base of the neck and stay in the cannelure.

Flat base 308 Bullets generally have the grove around 300” from the base. The neck on the Blackout is .260-280” depending on how you size your brass.

Most of hornady’s early published Lengths are in the cannelure, that did get them in trouble with jams a couple times.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

dellet wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:28 pm I hate to piss on everybody’s Cheerios on this one, that is one bullet that works extremely well loaded to the cannelure

With a trim of 1.355” and a COL of 2.100” puts the case mouth right in the groove and the base of the bullet about .020” below the shoulder. You can move the bullet right to the base of the neck and stay in the cannelure.

Flat base 308 Bullets generally have the grove around 300” from the base. The neck on the Blackout is .260-280” depending on how you size your brass.

Most of hornady’s early published Lengths are in the cannelure, that did get them in trouble with jams a couple times.
Thank goodness I had pancakes this morning :mrgreen: Of course dellet is correct. At 2.1 the cannelure is right at the mouth of the case. That is a coincidence and should have no bearing on it's depth. It just works best there.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.