Subsonic 300 Blackout Suppressors

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

warthog97
Silent Operator

Re: Subsonic 300 Blackout Suppressors

Post by warthog97 »

Did you get a suppressor yet? I've read the clean/don't clean threads and wasn't sure myself. I just picked up my suppressor last month and the owner's manual does recommend cleaning by soaking in CLP. In fact, they recommended it before even shooting it and claimed it would lengthen the service life. Kinda wish I read the manual before I shot it...

Anyway, too new to suppressors to have a definitive answer, but I do recommend going with the manufacturer's recommendation as a starting point.

Hope that helps.
zcav8or

Post by zcav8or »

warthog97 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:25 pm Did you get a suppressor yet? I've read the clean/don't clean threads and wasn't sure myself. I just picked up my suppressor last month and the owner's manual does recommend cleaning by soaking in CLP. In fact, they recommended it before even shooting it and claimed it would lengthen the service life. Kinda wish I read the manual before I shot it...

Anyway, too new to suppressors to have a definitive answer, but I do recommend going with the manufacturer's recommendation as a starting point.

Hope that helps.
Haven’t picked one up yet. Still waiting for my SBR tax stamp. Just trying to get some idea of what my options are.
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Post by alamo5000 »

There is zero reason to clean a centerfire rifle suppressor regardless of velocity. Uncoated (bare lead) bullets however are a no no. If you plan to shoot uncoated lead bullets that you are reloading yourself then get a Griffin suppressor that is user serviceable. There are a couple of options.

If you are shooting any kind of jacketed bullets there is never a need to clean. Naturally there will be build up inside the can but most of that will be from the carbon build up more than anything.

As for a good choice of suppressor I am a big Griffin Armament fan and for a dedicated 300 blackout can I am going to pick up a .30 cal Explorr. The numbers are extremely impressive. I have a Recce 7 and the Explorr is 1.2 inches shorter, 5oz lighter, but has around 3 to 4 DB less at the ear noise on 300BLK with similar muzzle numbers.

Definitely will be on my short list once finances are in order.

As for a bit more information about cans, generally you can get 50,000 to 75,000 rounds through a can before it needs to be replaced or serviced. This however is a function of firing schedule and barrel length and other things like that. Shooting subsonic even on a SBR you should get well over 100K rounds downrange before you need to even think about it. That is unless you are shooting a ton of full auto or doing mag dumps or whatever.

Any normal shooting schedule and with subs 100K rounds would be easily doable. And if you DO need to get it serviced because you shot the crap out of your gun, just send it back to the manufacturer and they can install new baffles.

Basically you will wear out two or three or more of the common consumer type barrels (IE like ballistic advantage) before you wear out one can. That's not because the barrels are bad, but they just use a certain type of stainless steel that is easy to work with, still good, very accurate, and cost effective. They however are not built for full auto but are very accurate and good for average joe shooting.
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Post by alamo5000 »

zcav8or wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:42 am Haven’t picked one up yet. Still waiting for my SBR tax stamp. Just trying to get some idea of what my options are.
This can in the video is the one I would recommend for an SBR, particularly on a 300BLK. At the 1:27 mark it shows the average 3rd party metered numbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BArsReY ... wHwNxY3jQP

The Silencer Shop tests with 220gr subs has muzzle average at sub 130DB and at the ear 130DB. That's very good for a semi auto rifle.

Most 30 cal cans are bigger and longer. Most are near 8 inches long and can add significant weight. That Explorr though is like I said 1.2 inches shorter than my Recce 7 and weighs 5oz less. THAT is significant.

More info on that can: It does not perform as well on bigger calibers but don't be fooled by muzzle only numbers. On 300BLK it's very impressive. The balance of the package matters.

With suppressors think of it terms of this: you have a water hose and when you turn the water on all the water goes in one direction. Now assume you put a nozzle of some sort on the end of that hose that constricts the flow...the pressure inside the hose will go up if you constrict outward flow right?

Similar things are true with suppressors. Some cans cut off the gas going forward and they do a great job at that, but on a semi auto platform as soon as your bolt releases that pressure pops inches from your face in a phenomenon called 'port pop'. On a close bolt system like a bolt action this is of no concern, but in a semi auto it's of huge concern. That can in the video seems to have a very precise gas flow balance, so while yes you may trade a few DB at the muzzle you get less pop at your ear on a semi auto gun.

And did I mention it's 5oz lighter and 1.2 inches shorter than the current generation of 30 cal can I have now? Again why do an SBR to add so much length and weight? It will totally cut down on the overall length of your system and still give outstanding performance in this caliber on an AR platform.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

When I was first getting into a 300 blk suppressor, my 9mm can on the SBR blk was pretty loud like the one that you linked above. Lets face it, 130db on subs is pretty loud.

So, I made my own can, and with the help of several forum members here, I started loading my own ammo much more efficiently than commercial makers, and now I have a can that I feel is on more along the lines of what the gun can be.

The whole point of making a dedicated can and ammo was to bring the sound level down well below what I was getting when I first started the project.

For that matter, the Liberty Leonidas meters at 121 db.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Not knocking Griffin Or Alamo for supporting them, they make a good product, but..........

Their sales hype is garbage, unless they have a warranty department that will back it up.

No barrel length restrictions and full auto capable, suitable for 300 Win Mag.

I don't think there is a suppressor on the market that can't make this claim. The question is will they repair or replace it when it fails, not if, when.

Thunder Beast probably has the best disclaimer I have seen. There are barrel length restrictions, but more important they tell you not to exceed 800 degrees of temperature. That could be 5 rounds, that could be 5000 rounds of full auto. It will depend on barrel length, muzzle pressure, powder charge. It is entirely possible for a 7" Blackout shooting subs, to stress a suppressor more than a 18" 300 WM shooting supers. No matter what, the materials in the suppressor can be damaged by exceeding that temp, depending on the pressure and speed of the powder blasting the can.

Then there is comparison shopping, while looking at the TBAC Ultra series. The Ultra 7 is 1/2" longer, 1 ounce lighter and a few decibels quieter. The Ultra 5 is 1 1/2" shorter, 25% lighter(3 OZ), and a few decibels louder. There are others on the market similar.

Understanding a bit about baffle design and first round pop is another thing that can make or brake a purchase.

Getting a good idea of what actually causes one to fail helps you choose one that suits your shooting style.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Post by alamo5000 »

We are here for a free exchange of ideas so I definitely do not take disagreeing opinions from my own as being 'offensive'. I actually learn from honest debate and disagreements so please share differing opinions. I like it because I am open like that.

Anyway my experience with Griffin has been good. I know some people have poo poo'ed on them especially when they had a factory move because they did drop the ball on some clients and a few products were not being produced for a while such as their 3 lug mounts. They moved from a small shop to another much bigger shop and hired and trained more new people and in that process emails were ignored, three lugs were not being made, social media was not being updated, etc. All that is true but my experience has been great and consider those things as 'one off' due to the move. Even I ordered something from them and the FNG instead of asking if what I ordered was the right size or even the compatible part, he just said fine, and sent it. I got the correct product mailed out for free within a day or two and about 3 or 4 days later they sent me an RMA so I could send back the (wrong) part...they got me what I needed and that was that.

I got into it with one guy online though where I had a fundamental difference with him. He mounted a can on a machine gun and left it for a year all the while constantly ratcheting down on it with a strap wrench. In his case the can never failed he however went on a rant online for several months about how "terrible" the brothers were etc which had zero to do with the actual problem. Griffin makes cans that are designed to be pinned and welded, but that guy didn't understand simple science that when metal gets heated it expands and if you strap wrench it dozens of times while it's hot, it's going to be tight.

That particular guy had an ax to grind from his OWN failure to follow instructions and didn't want to take responsibility for HIS actions. Keep in mind that I am not defending Griffin with that statement... I would defend just about ANY manufacturer if someone were to unfairly go online and launch a jihad like that. It would be akin to not changing the oil in your truck for 40,000 miles and then when it dies going on a vicious rant about how Chevy sucks for the next six months. I think the guy that owns Q has a head that would need three man crew to fit through my front door, but their products are good and I would similarly defend them against similar attacks as well, as a manufacturer in general that is. Basically not all gun owners are smart.

I try to look at both sides of things and get to the core. Yes Griffin did drop the ball during their move and possibly at other times too, and some of that came from lack of training of new employees during expansion but overall I try to give the benefit of the doubt to manufacturers just as much as I do people who are critical of the product.

That same guy who was crapping on Griffin was also trying to say that 'Griffin's three magazine limit didn't constitute being fully auto rated'...but what was actually said was that 'for general consumer use, and to ensure long suppressor life more than three mag dumps (of 5.56) can decrease the suppressor life'. That same guy's complaint came from a man who ran a Griffin can for 14 months straight with zero service, full auto all the time, and who wasn't even complaining that the suppressor failed, but rather that he was having a hard time getting it off of his muzzle.

Basically there are a lot of big egos involved and as far as I am concerned there was some deserved criticism, but that most of it was a lot of ego driven gun drama because people don't like to be open to the idea that they ever did anything wrong.

---

As far as metering goes, there should be a giant grain of salt taken with that because not everyone gets it right. Recently IV8888 did a video about this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mINzGn-Dyds

There are so many variables involved it just gets silly. If it rained that day or not will give different numbers than if the testing was done in Arizona or not. That said the general physics of how things work apply to all suppressor manufacturers regardless.

One thing that I did learn here on the forum (which I have had an absence from for a while now) was that ammo matters. The engineering of the can is one thing but good ammo with the right bullet designs can make things super quiet. If I shoot that Remington white and green 220 subs box stuff it will ring my ears, but if I shoot Hornady 208 grain subs it's super quiet. There is noticeable difference there and some of my home grown loads are quieter than that even.

All in all though if we are chasing decibels that's one thing, but if we are looking at overall system performance that's another. A short, light, mini can will not suppress as good as a full size can, but if your job is being a SWAT officer that mini can has it's place.

As for me I have kind of graduated at least some from just looking only at muzzle numbers. Yes I look at them, but I balance them with other factors too because at the end of the day it's all about shooting.
rb288
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rb288 »

If you want quiet, go with a Silencerco Omega or Saker asr.
Subsonic 300blk, suppressed, will be in the low, very low, 120 db range.
I may have been on the losing side, but, I'm not convinced it was the wrong side.