Why is it so hard to shoot subs?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Re: Why is it so hard to shoot subs?

Post by TRshootem »

Good discussion gents. Growing up, I learned to shoot cast bullets in SA handguns at stupid long distances...well, because Elmer could do it. Some of this bullet lobbing has transferred to my BLK sub loads, hits are easier when you picture the hold over in the form of an arc.

I had a lovely lass watching me shoot some load work on paper at 100 yds with my suppressed .308. I asked if she would like to shoot my setup. I asked her shy hubby first and he clearly could not follow my instruction or yet shoot well. She sat down, followed my instructions and proceeded to punch 3 rounds through my 5 shot .386 group! Hubby and I are shocked, she turns to him smiling and proclaims....we need one of these! I tell ya, that gal had poise and confidence like no student ever. Then I am thinking I got sand bagged...but she was quite lovely :P

TR
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

TRshootem wrote:Good discussion gents. Growing up, I learned to shoot cast bullets in SA handguns at stupid long distances...well, because Elmer could do it. Some of this bullet lobbing has transferred to my BLK sub loads, hits are easier when you picture the hold over in the form of an arc.

I had a lovely lass watching me shoot some load work on paper at 100 yds with my suppressed .308. I asked if she would like to shoot my setup. I asked her shy hubby first and he clearly could not follow my instruction or yet shoot well. She sat down, followed my instructions and proceeded to punch 3 rounds through my 5 shot .386 group! Hubby and I are shocked, she turns to him smiling and proclaims....we need one of these! I tell ya, that gal had poise and confidence like no student ever. Then I am thinking I got sand bagged...but she was quite lovely :P

TR
Trust me folks, we underestimate the women. Every woman I have taught to shoot, once they have the mechanics down, out shoots me. Which by the way doesn't take much.
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Attention to detail in loading is just as important as when shooting. In all honesty, it doesn’t matter how good the rifle or shooter are, if the round is no good, you just can’t compensate for it.

Bob the Nailer talked about the work he put into brass prep. What that got him, was a very consistent load.

What happens with velocity spreads at subsonic velocities?

For this example I set my ballistic calculator up with a sight height of “0” and a 5 yard zero. I wanted to get an idea of actual drop.

Using a 220 grain Sierra Match King at velocities of 1000-1020 fps. Gives a good idea of what an ES of 20 and a single digit SD would look like on the target.

220 SMK @ 100 yards
1000 fps, 16.8”
1010 fps, 16.5.”
1020 fps, 16.1”

So a velocity spread of 20 fps, with one of the best bullets out there, will have 3/4 MOA vertical spread without any shooter error factored in.

A single digit standard deviation is too much. You need a single digit extreme spread.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Dellet, I always appreciate your info and wise counsel. I have some BLK brass being lovingly prepped now for some long awaited sub testing. It was a long darn winter up here, with rain and windy conditions nearly every afternoon lately. I have had such good results with the 208 Amax, gonna try the ELD version next. It's all about just how flippin well we can make our hand loads perform. You and Bob the Nailer speak my language.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Ballistic Edge wrote:Gents
I would like to chime in. In my experience I don't find it difficult to shoot the subs. But in all honesty I don't shoot them much past 150-200 yds max.
I think the reason is, I have shot a ton of handguns all in the velocity range that subs move in. Over the years and by today's standards I would have been considered a pro. There was no such thing in my day. After I quit and stepped away the first big money contract was signed by Rob Latham for a Million.
I also think that moving from Handguns to rifles is a lot easier than moving from a rifle to a handgun. Before you dismiss me think about it, the subs are about the same weight and velocity as a 45acp. only thing they have going for them is they are a little more aerodynamic. So if you are used to handguns then it makes the subs easy as you are already used to trajectory and follow through required. I think about the 300 as a glorified 45acp.
So I am at home with the slower velocities that these subs move at. I like to visualize it as a 45acp going down range. In fact to further confirm a prior comment , try shooting a 45 acp target type load at 100 yards and watch the bullet go down range it does not fly like you think. It is a lot higher. It reminds me of a baseball and impact sounds just like a hard thrown fast ball. They all curve in also just like a baseball.
Sorry to ramble but I look at it different.
This may give a little different perspective.
Phil
Where is the "LIKE" button?
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

TRshootem wrote:Dellet, I always appreciate your info and wise counsel. I have some BLK brass being lovingly prepped now for some long awaited sub testing. It was a long darn winter up here, with rain and windy conditions nearly every afternoon lately. I have had such good results with the 208 Amax, gonna try the ELD version next. It's all about just how flippin well we can make our hand loads perform. You and Bob the Nailer speak my language.
Yeah but Bob’s not afraid to shoot in the snow. :lol: Maybe he can’t shoot in good weather. :lol:

Did you have any over the weekend.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

I plan to do some sub testing between cutting up trees and dragging the lot for chunks of stump roots. I have some DS Specials loaded along with 180 grain Rainier wedge bullets that have been Hbn coated.

Lets not forget who is testing the barriers with the 300Blk.....dellet
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=101253
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Another point that makes shoot subs a bit difficult is bullet design. It seems the big SMKs all shoot fairly well. I have some of the very pricey Lapua sub sonic 200s that shoot very well. They have a rebated boat tail. That nose heavy design seems to keep the nose to start destabilizing in flight. They new Hornady 190 is not available as a component yet I don't believe, curious design and I look forward to playing with it. I have often wondered if a reverse teardrop shape would fly well. It certainly makes you appreciate how much thought went into the DS special.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Don’t know about you folks but the Hornady 190 subs shoot fine out of my 8 inch BO. Just waiting on my sandman-s to see how they shoot suppressed. From talking to Hornady early this year, they said no plans to sell just the bullets for the foreseeable future.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

bearcatrp wrote:Don’t know about you folks but the Hornady 190 subs shoot fine out of my 8 inch BO. Just waiting on my sandman-s to see how they shoot suppressed. From talking to Hornady early this year, they said no plans to sell just the bullets for the foreseeable future.

what kind of groups are you seeing at 100 yds with them? have you stretched them out further?
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.