Well the Boy asked for my Daughters Hand.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

gds
Silent But Deadly

Well the Boy asked for my Daughters Hand.

Post by gds »

She Said Yes.

For those of you who have been around for a while you may remember some things I have posted about my kids. 6 kids right now from 7 to 22. My oldest is currently serving in the Old Guard at Arlington till next year when he reports to the 101st Airborne, tentatively.

You may have picked up that we are "old Fashion" in some things. One of those is courting. While I will not get into the differences between, Dating, courting and arranged marriages, just be assured there are distinct differences. For my children, as long as they live under my roof, there will be no dating, and arranged marriages are a product of 3rd world crap holes or repressive religions. Courting is something I strongly believe in. As long as administered correctly.

Anyways. This young man has been a part of our lives for well over 15 years. He is a couple of years older than my daughter. He is my pastors 2nd son. We homeschool as does most of the families in our church, so "school" trips and activities often revolve around all the kids in the church outside of church services. And in my church, there are a lot of Kids. With 6 we are actually at the low end of the scale. :lol: So they grew up together.

I have always "brainwashed" my daughters to understand that no young man, EVER, is good enough for them. I am a father with 3 daughters. I "hate" any male under the age of 26, and a lot over that age. :lol: I would reinforce this by occasionally asking my daughters " Is there any young man good enough" There trained response was always to be "no sir".

Well one day about 2 1/2 years or so ago, we were coming home from church one night and I asked that question. My oldest daughter, at the time she was 18/19 responded " well dad, there is one" :cry:

She did not even have to tell me who. I already knew. He had always impressed me. He is Autistic, and to some he would come across as a bit slow. But as you get to know him, he chooses his words, most of the time very carefully. He Loves the Lord, which is extremely important to us. He fought against conventional wisdom and earned a full time job, pays his own bills and earned a lot of credentials for HVAC and other certifications to be able to work high end apartment maintenance. Which is kind of funny because one of the parts of his job is to maintain the huge pool that the company I work for built and I did the install for all the equipment.

Also, he is very respectful to his mother. And one thing I have noticed, is a good way to get a feel for how a young man will treat a woman is to see how he treats his mother. Not a 100% assessment, but usually a good indicator.

Back to my story. After a conversation with her and my wife. Who by the way had been talking for over a year about all this, and dumb me was oblivious. :oops: I went to his father and had a conversation. He was a bit unsure, because of an issue that had arisen with another girl and her family, and did not want his son hurt. So we let this sit for a while. My daughter is very quick witted, and I think he was concerned that there personalities may conflict. After a year, my daughter was even more determined that he was her man. So I went again to his father and we talked for a long time about a lot of things. Then both me and my wife and him and his wife sat down and talked for a long time. They presented the possibility of my Daughter to him and I was told he responded something to the effect of "I did not think that she was even an option!!" with a beaming face and a huge grin. :lol: :mrgreen:

The next day he came to me and asked if he could start courting her. I of course gave permission and it has been great. there were a few bumps here and there, but it has been great. Well last month he closed on a repossessed huge house that is bigger than mine :oops: :mrgreen:

Last Sunday after church services, he wanted to talk to me. I of course this time was not oblivious. So after making sure my daughter was working with some of the other young ladies practicing a new song. We went outside and talked. He asked permission for her hand in marriage and I gave it eagerly.

He had some things going on at the new house yesterday and thru some very careful timing and me doing all I can to make sure I did not let it out of the bag. Both families were there. He started giving an "impromptu" speech thanking everyone who had helped get the house back into living conditions, then he turned to my daughter and took a knee and asked her if she would marry him and make this house their home. She of course said yes.

It was AWESOME! Which is so weird for me to say. I honestly have so many mixed emotions. He had gone out and did not just pick a ring. He worked with the jeweler in designing the setting.

Now I got to help plan a wedding. I pray my involvement is limited to walking her down the aisle with my suppressed 300blk SBR slung and my .45 on my hip. :mrgreen: :lol:
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Re: Well the Boy asked for my Daughters Hand.

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Congratulations. Good men are getting harder to find these days and I am glad your daughter found one.

Now you need to teach him how yo protect your daughter like you have.

Give me a call sometime.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Yes Sir.

Funny thing is, for all intents and purpose, I was the one to teach him how to shoot. :mrgreen:

Plus I just bought my daughter a M&P 9c for her 21st birthday. The wedding gift may be an AR15. 8)
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I guess I’m progressive enough that I never really understood the idea of courting. :oops:

From your description of the process, if that had been my son, l just might of had your daughter jailed for “stalking”. :shock:

I don’t think that young man had much of a chance :mrgreen:

Congratulations to the couple, sounds like they will have a good start and the support they need to make it go. Please give them our best wishes from the wife and I.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Scratch
Silent But Deadly

Post by Scratch »

Congratulations! I wish them the best!
cdakers
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cdakers »

Awesome story! I love a happy ending. It sounds like you have raised a very level headed young lady, and you both will have many joyous moments in the coming months and years.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

dellet wrote:I guess I’m progressive enough that I never really understood the idea of courting. :oops:

From your description of the process, if that had been my son, l just might of had your daughter jailed for “stalking”. :shock:

I don’t think that young man had much of a chance :mrgreen:

Congratulations to the couple, sounds like they will have a good start and the support they need to make it go. Please give them our best wishes from the wife and I.
It is by many considered to be outdated.

LOL, Stalking, I mentioned that to her a little while ago. She did not deny it. :shock: And, no he really did not have a chance. :lol:
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Sweet. I pray they have a happy, blessed marriage.
BoomerVF14
Silent But Deadly

Post by BoomerVF14 »

A USAF PJ Colonel I used to work for would greet young men his daughter brought home by "think fast" tossing them a .45ACP round (I'm sure a Lehigh 194ME over 9.0gr of I4227 @2.18" would certainly work just as well).

He would follow that up with "Nice catch. If you don't have her home by 11 the next one will be coming at you a LOT faster." :lol:
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

Congrats ! Glad to hear about a couple doing things right !

As for you........get you some nickel plated 300 blk cuff links for that tux !
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !