Trapping too much gas?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

elitejake
Silent Operator

Trapping too much gas?

Post by elitejake »

I have a integral suppressed 300blk with a 9" barrel and a 7" mono core with total length of 13.5". The problem I have seen is too much powder build up in my baffles and reflex portion. We did a clam shell to help with the disassembly.
My next project is a 9" sbr suppressed. I won't have the versatility of can disassembly this time. As I was going to go with a Q can or a thunder beast ultra.
I shoot jacketed and powder coated bullets. There is no difference in build up between the two over 500 round test of each in my current can.

So my question is. What's a good option is a different can needed because of the build up ?
Thanks Jake.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Trapping too much gas?

Post by dellet »

What powder are you using?

Most likely that's your biggest contributor.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
elitejake
Silent Operator

Post by elitejake »

V110, H110, 4227
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

4227 does not surprise me. H110 maybe, have not used it enough to really say. N110 kind of surprises me a bit, but again I don't use it for subs as much as supers.

I use #9 and N105, unless it's carbine length. Works well for short barrels, can be tough to keep from going super in a 16" barrel.

No issues at all with any build up in a Thunderbeast. I do shoot a fair amount of supers in the mix.

I have not found anything that shoots cleaner, quieter and more reliable than N105. It is a bit harder to get loads tuned and you need to keep low charge weight/capacities in mind. Generally in the 50-60% density.
elitejake
Silent Operator

Post by elitejake »

I might start looking for a new load then. I have prob 20# of 1680 and 4227 to load. But I might look another direction.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

elitejake wrote:I might start looking for a new load then. I have prob 20# of 1680 and 4227 to load. But I might look another direction.
Those will both work very well for supers, the 1680 exceptionally well for 150 grain and up. Both dirty but very easy to get full function with.

Basically the faster the powder, the cleaner it will be in the suppressor.

Have you used both N110 and H110 for a few hundred rounds and compared those?
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I think this is the first time I have ever heard anyone ask if it's possible to trap too much gas in their can.

My opinion, no.

But I would want the ability to take it apart and clean it occasionally.

If not, I would want some way to do a thorough ultrasonic baptism. :mrgreen:

A lot of subsonic powders are dirty.

1680 especially so.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
elitejake
Silent Operator

Post by elitejake »

I filled a med size pill bottle with carbon and powder residue last time I pulled it apart after a carbine class 700~ rounds. It was a ton the suppressor is stupid quite. I love it. But my next venture is wher in concerned.
No I have not shot a significant volume of n110 After I get a new bench built and my man cave built in the new house that will be high on my list.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

There is a lot missing from your post.

Charge weights?
Bullet weights?
Bullet type?
Super or Subsonic?

Are you having a problem with too much gas or too much unburned powder or too much carbon build up?

There are a lot of things you can do to reduce the amount of unburned powder. Increasing the pressures, either by adding more powder or seating the bullet deeper, can reduce the amount of unburned powder or you could choose a better powder for your application. The higher the pressures the quicker and more complete the powder will burn. H110 and V110 are not the best subsonic powders. They work great for supersonic loads but for subsonic loads there are much better powder choices. You say 4227 but there are two, either IMR4227 or H4227. They are not the same powder even though a lot of people treat them the same.

What issues are you having from the powder being left behind? I say that because if it is not causing problems then why fix it? On a FB group people get all worked up when they see even the slightest amount of carbon build up inside their silencer. Carbon build up is completely normal and if you shoot some supersonic loads it generally keeps it from becoming an issue.

Too much powder can become ignited inside the silencer but unless the silencer is sealed up tight the pressure will just dissipate.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
elitejake
Silent Operator

Post by elitejake »

Sub rounds are
Leather head 220g powder coated
H4227-10.2/9.9g depending on setting depth.
I have some h110, v110 but those I don't remember off my head
Same with 1690.
Supers are factory what ever flavor I find cheep. I don't shoot much supersonic. Why build a suppressed upper to shoot supersonic rounds threw it?