New Blackout powder: Accurate 11FS

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

New Blackout powder: Accurate 11FS

Post by MMA10mm »

Anyone tried this powder yet?

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-conten ... a_11FS.pdf

Saw a 1-lb bottle at the gunshow and went home and looked it up. Should have bought it, but who knew?!? :?

Looks like it is just a bit slower than AA#9, but faster than H110.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: New Blackout powder: Accurate 11FS

Post by dellet »

So far so good.

It meters very well, burns clean. The FS is for flash suppressant and seems to do that well.

Questionable on subs in carbine gas length, works reasonably well in pistol length unsuppressed. It is quiet and the flash suppressant seems to work very well in short barrels.

In heavier supers you can't get the velocity of 296/H110 as pressure is higher, I'm talking towards the high end 2000 fps plus for 150's. It has a good volume/density for supers.

Light supers it seems like it will be a good choice, ES numbers can be good.

Accuracy is reasonable, probably better than average, but I have not used it past 50 yards. Lot's of projects this summer that I did not get to.

All in all I think it will be a good powder for supers, but less than average for subs. Although it did lock back a 220 grain load in a 10" carbine gassed setup when suppressed, but I don't think subs under 200 grains will be easy even I pistol length unsuppressed. That's a tough call and I have not put much effort into it.

If I remember right price was good, a couple dollars cheaper than most for a pound.

Overall impression was not too exciting. I keep waiting for someone to produce a cartridge specific powder or two, that is either sub or super specific, instead of one that tries to do both, and ends up not doing either all that spectacular.

As winter rolls on I'll work with it more, I'm not sure it will replace anything currently on the shelf unless it proves to be very easy to work with for accuracy. One thing I will say is that some of the most consistent powders I use are 1680 for heavy supers and LT.-30 and #9 for subs so it would not surprise me at all for 11FS to be a very easy powder to work with.

Edited to correct suppressed to un suppressed with pistol gas
Last edited by dellet on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

dellet wrote:So far so good.

It meters very well, burns clean. The FS is for flash suppressant and seems to do that well.

Questionable on subs in carbine gas length, works reasonably well in pistol length suppressed. It is quiet and the flash suppressant seems to work very well in short barrels.

In heavier supers you can't get the velocity of 296/H110 as pressure is higher, I'm talking towards the high end 2000 fps plus for 150's. It has a good volume/density for supers.

Light supers it seems like it will be a good choice, ES numbers can be good.

Accuracy is reasonable, probably better than average, but I have not used it past 50 yards. Lot's of projects this summer that I did not get to.

All in all I think it will be a good powder for supers, but less than average for subs. Although it did lock back a 220 grain load in a 10" carbine gassed setup when suppressed, but I don't think subs under 200 grains will be easy even I pistol length suppressed. That's a tough call and I have not put much effort into it.

If I remember right price was good, a couple dollars cheaper than most for a pound.

Overall impression was not too exciting. I keep waiting for someone to produce a cartridge specific powder or two, that is either sub or super specific, instead of one that tries to do both, and ends up not doing either all that spectacular.

As winter rolls on I'll work with it more, I'm not sure it will replace anything currently on the shelf unless it proves to be very easy to work with for accuracy. One thing I will say is that some of the most consistent powders I use are 1680 for heavy supers and LT.-30 and #9 for subs so it would not surprise me at all for 11FS to be a very easy powder to work with.
Great feedback!
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

Thanks dellet! A bit disappointing, because I was hoping it would be a great subsonic powder. I may try to get some and wring it out.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

MMA10mm wrote:Thanks dellet! A bit disappointing, because I was hoping it would be a great subsonic powder. I may try to get some and wring it out.
In fairness I bought it more with supers in mind and just tried a few sub rounds and those were on the extreme ends of things. I looked through notes this morning and 8.5 grains cycled and locked back suppressed with a 178 Amax. In an 8" barrel. No velocity recorded. Loud was noted and that is something for me is a big negative.

It runs at a pretty high pressure for a sub load so any of the copper solids should benefit from it for accuracy and that could also explain the loud.

My lack of actual testing is part of the reason I haven't said much about. I certainly haven't used enough to figure out whatever quirks it might have.

I have a couple of bullets I need to get off my butt and check out, so I will make sure to add this into the mix. Temps will be high teens this weekend, perfect time to see if subs work in a cold dirty action and stay subsonic. :mrgreen:
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

My two 300s are both pistol gas, one 10.3" and the other 8". For economy, I mostly run 150s at 1600fps, and back in the day loaded 680 for subs, but I've been working with AA9 for subs since gleaning the great info on this forum. After seeing 9-gr range recommended loads, I'd hoped someone at Western Powders had been reading here too, and brought out a powder which produces a bit more gas volume than AA9 (and its small window of functionality), but still less than 1680...

I'll try to find it at a local dealer and test it out.

Thanks for the PM and info here, dellet!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Started to work with this powder a bit and am encouraged. All shooting was in pistol gas, suppressed. Basically all I did was duplicate a few known loads using #9 and N105. Generally speaking, 11FS is coming out somewhere in between. No chronograph results, but they were without a doubt subsonic.

Just checking for function and general qualities of quiet, clean, first round pop and flash. So far I think it will be in the running as one of the very good choices for a sub powder.

The real proof will be in carbine gas, without a suppressor for function, and accuracy across the board.

Folks looking for a winter project probably would not be going wrong to buy a pound and start exploring the possibilities.

Not sure how much time I will have over the holidays, but will post as I get better and more concise results.