New Discreet Ballistics 188gr Selous Machined Expander

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the classified section, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Max_Spansion

New Discreet Ballistics 188gr Selous Machined Expander

Post by Max_Spansion »

Hello everyone! I wanted to let you all know that we're releasing a new expanding subsonic 300BLK load next month. We're not going to be selling these projectiles alone at release but we will be loading them in long and short barrel velocities using Lapua 300BLK brass. Out of a 6.75" 1:5 twist honey badger the sub loads are about 900fps at the muzzle. It's a 188gr machined solid copper projectile. A good 1.5 years of development has gone into these projectiles and we're very excited to get them to market.

Some pre-production units

Pic of the expanded bullet post Heavy Clothing (FBI protocol) test. 13" penetration 98% weight retention - 900FPS

Pic of the bullets expanded from 846FPS to 1141FPS. We've seen these expand down to 750fps for what it's worth.

Lone Star Boars just did a video with them and the HB and he had excellent results with some smaller hogs - good passthroughs. You can check out the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJCHXV_3j_M&t=4s

These loads are currently available for pre-order here: https://discreetballistics.com/shop/300aac-blackout/

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Thanks,

David Stark
Discreet Ballistics
Last edited by Max_Spansion on Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: New Discreet Ballistics 188gr Selous Machined Expander

Post by dellet »

Thanks for the heads up.

But mostly want to thank someone you for posting real impact velocity results.

Any numbers on penetration at the lower speeds?

asked in your other post, but better to have your own thread
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Max_Spansion

Post by Max_Spansion »

dellet wrote:Thanks for the heads up.

But mostly want to thank someone you for posting real impact velocity results.

Any numbers on penetration at the lower speeds?

asked in your other post, but better to have your own thread
Between 10"-14" at the slower velocities.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Just a bump for this.

It's crazy that it seems like every day this time of year, people are wondering if there is any loaded ammo out there that works. This seems to be a possibility and there are zero questions.

We all seem to cry about no industry support and someone lays it on the table and it gets ignored.

Photos show expansion, accuracy is the next question.

What kind of groups can you get at 100?

One of the things I wonder about is the shape. It kind of has the aerodynamics of a plunger :mrgreen:
What happens in a quartering shot? is there an issue of tumbling vs penetration?

Some one who has done their research and has an idea what the consumer wants.
A fair amount of you have asked me about the reasoning for Discreet Ballistics having two different loads for 300 Blackout. We make a Pistol/SBR load which is optimized for barrels between 7-11” and a Carbine load which is optimized for 16” barrels. The reasons we offer these two different loads is due to the inherent velocity loss encountered with when shooting a load designed for a 16” barrel out of a shorter barrel. This velocity loss can be as much as 200fps. While this lower velocity doesn’t necessarily make the bullet any less accurate it does have a couple of downsides:

The lower the velocity the longer the bullet stays in flight. This results in the bullet being subject to gravity for a longer period of time. If a rifle is zeroed for 50 yards shoots a round with a muzzle velocity of 1050fps the 190gr bullet will exhibit a 6.7” drop at 100 yards. Conversely, a round fired with the same 50 yard zero with a muzzle velocity of 900fps the 190gr bullet will exhibit a 9.5” drop.
Energy delivery will also suffer with a lower velocity. Using the same numbers the bullet with a muzzle velocity of 1050 fps will have 422ft/lbs of energy at 100 yards while the bullet with a muzzle velocity of 900fps will only have a 322ft/lbs of energy at 100 yard. These numbers are particularly important for putting down game.
Max_Spansion

Post by Max_Spansion »

dellet wrote:Just a bump for this.

It's crazy that it seems like every day this time of year, people are wondering if there is any loaded ammo out there that works. This seems to be a possibility and there are zero questions.

We all seem to cry about no industry support and someone lays it on the table and it gets ignored.

Photos show expansion, accuracy is the next question.

What kind of groups can you get at 100?

One of the things I wonder about is the shape. It kind of has the aerodynamics of a plunger :mrgreen:
What happens in a quartering shot? is there an issue of tumbling vs penetration?

Some one who has done their research and has an idea what the consumer wants.
A fair amount of you have asked me about the reasoning for Discreet Ballistics having two different loads for 300 Blackout. We make a Pistol/SBR load which is optimized for barrels between 7-11” and a Carbine load which is optimized for 16” barrels. The reasons we offer these two different loads is due to the inherent velocity loss encountered with when shooting a load designed for a 16” barrel out of a shorter barrel. This velocity loss can be as much as 200fps. While this lower velocity doesn’t necessarily make the bullet any less accurate it does have a couple of downsides:

The lower the velocity the longer the bullet stays in flight. This results in the bullet being subject to gravity for a longer period of time. If a rifle is zeroed for 50 yards shoots a round with a muzzle velocity of 1050fps the 190gr bullet will exhibit a 6.7” drop at 100 yards. Conversely, a round fired with the same 50 yard zero with a muzzle velocity of 900fps the 190gr bullet will exhibit a 9.5” drop.
Energy delivery will also suffer with a lower velocity. Using the same numbers the bullet with a muzzle velocity of 1050 fps will have 422ft/lbs of energy at 100 yards while the bullet with a muzzle velocity of 900fps will only have a 322ft/lbs of energy at 100 yard. These numbers are particularly important for putting down game.
We're seeing between 1.5 and 2.5 MOA depending on rifle/pistol is being used. Accurate but not ground breaking. The Lone Star Boars video does have some good footage on what the bullets can do from different angles. As for thin skinned game I and others will (hopefully) be finding out in the next couple weeks. We've never seen this bullet tumble.

Yes, the aerodynamics look like that of a plunger but what really set this bullet apart is that the design is optimized to open and retain weight at relatively broad velocity ranges.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

What does that open up to?

Is there an advantage to the two stage petal?
Max_Spansion

Post by Max_Spansion »

dellet wrote:What does that open up to?

The bullet has opened up to around 1200FPS. After than the petals start to break off in the ballistics gel. With the the faster twist barrels like 1:6 and 1:5 we have to keep the velocity down because of the additional twisting torque on the petals. Yes, there is an advantage to the two-stage opening
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Max_Spansion wrote:

The bullet has opened up to around 1200FPS. After than the petals start to break off in the ballistics gel. With the the faster twist barrels like 1:6 and 1:5 we have to keep the velocity down because of the additional twisting torque on the petals. Yes, there is an advantage to the two-stage opening
My poor choice of words, what is max expansion diameter?
Max_Spansion

Post by Max_Spansion »

dellet wrote:
Max_Spansion wrote:

My poor choice of words, what is max expansion diameter?
No problem. Here's a pic of the projectile pulled from ballistics gel at around 900fps

Dafeist

Post by Dafeist »

That looks absolutely mean :twisted: