Deer Season

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Deer Season

Post by John A. »

Had planned on hunting with mine this year, but just filled my tag with a crossbow. Yay me. :lol:
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

Mmmm fresh heart! :mrgreen:

I may not deer hunt this year depending how my bear season goes. I do love venison though, and having not gotten one last year, it's been way too long since I've had it.

Good luck to all of you!
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

4 am here and I just got in from a night shoot for reds with my 300. Nothing tonight been on the lights since 10pm seen 1 at 350 meters but couldn't get a clean shot on it so we left it. I did fire 6 rounds at 2 stags last week and through my own stupidity rushing and not judging the range correctly missed them completely.....oh well better than wounding them, I'll see them again.
Gimli

Post by Gimli »

I've got one set up to shoot subs and another I'm setting up to shoot supers. This will be my first year hunting with 300 BLK so I'm looking forward to trying both of them out.
ruger761

Post by ruger761 »

I know it's going to be my hog gun, things are getting thick and need a little thinning:) But still debating on it vs my standard 300wsm. Where we hunt now is under 100 yards, so the 300blk should excel for me. Guess it will depend if I can finaliy get the results I want out of it quick enough before season opens.
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

110 barnes blacktip at 2400 fps in 16 inch DCA upper.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

i'll be hunting with some different stuff this year. Had my success with the 300 BLK some years back. I get bored easily and need new challenges. If things go as planned, I can mark some cartridges off the deer killing list and maybe set a stand for a subsonic hunt.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Man I'm glad to see this thread and I'm excited for everyone getting ready to hunt!

This year I plan to morning hunt and get some kills with my 10.5" 300BLK shooting supers/110gr Blacktips.
I will be doing my evening hunts with my 30-06 and a 150gr round. If I can get my load development in I'll be using my new load with the 150gr GMX bullet but if that doesn't happen it will be some other 150gr handloads I have and have used in the past.
I'm done tracking deer in the dark after doing it for so many years now, so the 30-06 should blast these small bodied TX deer directly into the freezer for me :)
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

Bear aren't cooperating and neither is Ma Nature (too darn hot!), so I got my archery tag for deer since I keep seeing them in daylight on the trail cam by the bear bait station.

Maybe I should build that full size cooler after all? :|
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Double checked the zero of my Blackout DD AR and RARR. As I suspected, my new glasses rx had altered the zero a little. I always go to my brother's Georgia farm. I'll be the only one hunting there as per usual. 160yd shooting distance to the left and 225yd distance to the right. Takes about a 20 minute walk from his house to the fields.

My neighbor's property was sold a month ago...I'd had permission to hunt there for 9 years, but would only deer hunt when a needy family needed some meat or when I was trying to get "Big Doe". Big Doe is an old smart doe that's been around for years. VERY wary, she's bigger than the bucks in body size. Never seen her with any fawns. One year, before doe season, I watched her see my just put up ground blind. She stomped her feet and snorted at it, but it didn't move. She then slowly crept up to it and smelled it and then slowly walked away with her ears laid back.

The first year I saw her, I "knew" I'd get her. She got used to the ground blind back in the woods. I kept the blind window closed so birds wouldn't get inside for months. The day arrived, and I was in the blind way before she and other does arrived. Dang it if she didn't notice the blind window was now cracked open a few inches! Inside the blind is black, I sat far back from the window and I was dressed in black with gloves and face mask, but the window was different.

OK, so last season I left the blind window open a little bit so she'd be used to it. She came out when it was getting too dark to shoot. I've now seen her twice this month, so she made it through the winter. The new property owners (they don't live there) sound like they might give me hunting permission, in that they said in response to me telling them that Big Doe made it through the winter/last deer season "maybe you should try for Big Doe this season; would rather a deserving family get the meat than the coyotes." (I have coyote hunting permission there to protect my goats.) I told them I'd ask for permission depending upon my Georgia hunt and whether I have families here in Florida that can use the meat.