Hornady 110 load problems.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hornady 110 load problems.

Post by dellet »

Bbs383ci wrote:Ok I think I figured out my problem and I believe it's with the brass I received from Everglades ammo.

The polished brass on the left is head stamped FC its from Everglades. It will fit properly into a case gauge until a bullet is seated once it is seated it will no longer fit. Neck starts a .326" O.D. And as it gets closer to the shoulder it drops to .316" O.D. You can see the bell in the picture.
Image[/img]

Here's the head stamps the one on the right is factory 300 blkout loads that I have resized with Lee dies.
Image[/img]

Factory brass that I resized in car gushed before bullet seated. Sellier and Bellot head stamp.
Image[/img]

FC head stamp brass in case gauge before bullet seated. These were resized by Everglades ammo.
Image[/img]

Bullets seated FC head stamp from Everglades on left. Factory sellier and bellot on right. Bullet is seated about .040" to deep but this is not loaded ammo I was just seeing the problem would still exist without powder.
Image[/img]

FC head stamp in case gauge after bullet has been seated. No bueno!!
Image[/img]

Factory round, this one is a SIG brass in the case gauge after bullet is seated.
Image[/img]

Also the neck inside diameters on the factory brass that I resized is .304" and the Everglades FC head stamp is .297".

Will be contacting Everglades to see what they say about it. I tried to run them through the Lee resizing for but it did not help anything.
There is your problem. Sorry I missed that the first time

Run the evergalde brass through your sizing die and you will be fine as long as it comes out .304+. .0297" is too small to try a seat a flat base bullet. The boat tail will act like an expander going in and stay straight. The flat base will crush the neck and go sideways.

Always size new brass.

On your photo you are choosing an option that does not require you to use the add the image option I think. I just removed the image tag to make them visible.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Bbs383ci

Post by Bbs383ci »

Ok just went and loaded two more rounds. One with the formed 5.56 brass with FC head stamp and one SIG factory once fired brass.

Seated same style bullet in both cases to same depth with same powder charge of 21 grains of Lil'Gun. Put a heavy chamfer on the inside to aid in alignment of bullet when seating. Aligned bullet as straight as I could before slowly raising the ram to seat bullet. Took my time and made sure both bullets were straight as possible before seating.

Same results. Factory brass would fit in gauge formed 5.56 brass would not again.

Neck od with bullet seated is .329-.330 between the two. This is measured at the top of the neck.

When I move down to the bulge it measures .3365" on the FC head stamp brass and measures .329" on the SIG brass. I would venture to say it is not how I load but is in fact a component issue. That is the only answer that is left.

If someone could verify that what I am saying is wrong pleas correct me. I am trying to find the correct answer and need to know because I am going to be calling Everglades ammo and trying to get a refund or better quality of brass.
Bbs383ci

Post by Bbs383ci »

The one I just wrote about I run through my resizing due before I loaded it and it did the exact same thing.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

If the brass is .336 with a seated bullet, then either the bullet is larger than .308, the brass is thicker than .014", or you are crushing the neck when you seat the bullet.

It is possible that the brass in the neck is tapered, so you will need to measure deeper down the neck.

Last possibility would be that the neck was formed off center, this would be least likely but certainly possible.

Did you confirm the brass was at least .304 in the neck instead of .297 before you tried to seat the bullet?
Bbs383ci

Post by Bbs383ci »

I know for sure the bullet is .307-.308".

Brass isn't thicker .013" most is around .011-0.12

The bulge is there before I seat the bullet you can see it in the resized FC head stamp case. Once it the bullet is seated the bulge is .3365"

I checked the neck size before resizing it was .292" after resizing it was .298" and the lip and .290" near the bottom of the neck. So it is tapered quiet a bit.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

If the bullet is .308
and the Brass .013 x2
assembled will be .334

In your post with the pictures you said that the OD was .326" This is more or less a normal number.

Then you said the ID was .297.

.326-.297 = .029 that means your brass is .0145 thick.
Or .308+.029 = .337 assembled

Either some of your numbers are wrong or the bullet is in sideways.

If the inside neck measures .298 after sizing on only the FC brass, then the brass is very stiff. It sounds more like the expander is under-size. It should come out .304-.306.

Of course this all could be BS and you did not zero your measuring stick correctly. :oops:
Bbs383ci

Post by Bbs383ci »

Ok, it absolutely has to be component related. I just reloaded ten rounds 5 from my personal once fired brass from S&B, Nosler and SIG brass. Ran through my Lee resizing die, put a heavy chamfer inside case mouth, loaded 21 grains Lil'Gun. Seated bullet to 2.050". All five fit perfect into the case gauge.

Next I resized 5 of the brass with FC head stamp, case length was 1.358", neck wall thickness ranged from .0115-.013", case mouth around .298". Loaded with 21 grains Lil'Gun and seated bullet to 2.050" none of the five rounds fit in the case gauge. I was very careful for all ten rounds, to make sure bullet was square and raised ram slow on all ten so bullet wouldn't move.

I don't know what it is about these cases but they are not right. Has anyone used FC head stamps before?

Here's the rounds. Top are the FC head Image
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Probably shot 500 FC cases 8-10 times each never a problem.

You need to find out why you are not getting the neck resized correctly, .297 is too small.

Is the brass the same length or is the FC longer?

Is the Nosler and S&B brass .010"-.011" at the neck like most 300 stamped brass?

Lower row of cartridges, second from left has the same bulge as the FC.
Bbs383ci

Post by Bbs383ci »

The S&B and nosler are around .011-.012" on the neck.

The length is the exact same 1.358"

That is a line on the second one it's not a bulge you can slightly see it on the one next to it. It's a little shinier under the line so it makes it look like a bulge.

The FC brass I received is supposed to be sized correctly but it is not. The brass I have shot and resized resized to correct size. Maybe it doesn't mess with it since it is already below the spec. My once fired are above spec after firing.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

No.

The pin in your die will determine the finished neck size.

The neck is squeezed closed either around a mandrel if it is a Lee Collet neck sizing die. Or it is squeezed under size and the opened up to the correct size when the expanding ball is pulled up through it if it is a regular die.

It sounds like the problem may be in your die. What is the inside measurement of the sized Nosler brass? FC should be within .001-2 of that.

What is the diameter of the ball or mandrel in your die?

I am thinking that either the diameter is too small, or it is not adjusted correctly. It will size the fired brass down, but will not open up the neck if it is too small.