Berry's 220gr Spire Point For Subsonic Plinking

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

savage308

Re: Berry's 220gr Spire Point For Subsonic Plinking

Post by savage308 »

I have had great results with this boolit and 9.0 2400 ,win sr.
my best sub load yet. cycles great, accurate , and fairly clean.
jmac1911

Post by jmac1911 »

savage308 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:27 pm I have had great results with this boolit and 9.0 2400 ,win sr.
my best sub load yet. cycles great, accurate , and fairly clean.
Hi Savage, did you have any issues with copper fouling? I fired 25 rounds of these over 8.6 gr of Lil Gun through a brand new 10.5 inch 1/7 barrel and its a mess, even the bolt tail looks like it was copper plated. I will stick to jacketed going forward.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

If you are getting copper on the backside of the bolt, it’s more likely a barrel problem than a bullet problem.

The rifling May have a sharp edge, the gas port may have a burr, but something is shaving the bullets. To have bullet debris travel from the barrel down the gas tube to behind the bolt takes a pretty big irregularity in the bore. Barrels that are lapped rarely have this problem.

Generally it will go away with time, shooting jacketed bullets will speed up the process.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
jmac1911

Post by jmac1911 »

Okay, I’ll put these aside for now and shoot jacketed until I get more rounds through it. I’ll try again after 1K rounds or so. Thanks for your input.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

keep an eye on that bolt tail for copper even when shooting jacketed.

my original cmmg barrel had the gas port come thru one of the lands. big fugly chip where it came thru and it was shaving copper from even jacketed rounds. it was so bad i plugged the barrels gas port in just a couple hundred rounds.

my experience was probably a worst case scenario, but i share it so you know just exactly how bad it can be and that you can be conscious of the possibility.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

plant.one wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:34 am keep an eye on that bolt tail for copper even when shooting jacketed.

my original cmmg barrel had the gas port come thru one of the lands. big fugly chip where it came thru and it was shaving copper from even jacketed rounds. it was so bad i plugged the barrels gas port in just a couple hundred rounds.

my experience was probably a worst case scenario, but i share it so you know just exactly how bad it can be and that you can be conscious of the possibility.
Same experience with a BA barrel. I was able to clean out the port, but it ruined the AGB. Now I won't install an AGB until I'm convinced the barrel isn't shaving copper.
savage308

Post by savage308 »

it could be the LILGUN powder because I have used a lot of it and it really gets the barrel hot. 2400 seems to run cooler. I use LILGUN
with barnes 110 gr. but not with plated or cast boolits.
jmac1911

Post by jmac1911 »

Thanks for the info, I have a few hundred 220 gr jacketed loaded up just need to get to the range to try them out.
jmac1911

Post by jmac1911 »

Ran 200 rounds of Jacketed 220 gr Bullets without issue, no copper fouling at all. I’ll keep the Berry’s on the shelf for now and try them again after a thousand rounds or so. Thanks to all for your input.
jmac1911

Post by jmac1911 »

Just an update, about 500 rounds of FMJ down the pipe and tried the Berrys again, all is well no fouling at all.