Not 300, but muzzle loader deer down.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

GregP42
Silent Operator

Not 300, but muzzle loader deer down.

Post by GregP42 »

Well this weekend was muzzle loader here in Kentucky, Saturday was a bust with nothing showing all day.
Sunday was drizzling rain in the morning. About a hour or so after sunrise I had a small racked 8 point wonder out about 15 yards from where I was standing in the middle of the old farm road, he stood there eating the tall weeds while I watched him. So after a few minuets of him eating and me watching I decided meat was meat and touched off a round into him. He was facing me and slightly down hill, shot him through the left side of his neck angling back into the body. He dropped right there and didn't even twitch.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hyE6jt]Image

The ball turned the lungs into mush and took out the heart. That was the bad part, no fresh heart to cook up. Good was the ball didn't go into the guts. 80gr of 3fg pushing patched round ball, still works just fine.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hyF3t7]Image

Now to see if I can get a couple of does to finish filling the freezer.

Greg
NRA Life member
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Not 300, but muzzle loader deer down.

Post by bangbangping »

Well done. Not many people shooting round balls any more. But yeah, they still work.
GregP42
Silent Operator

Post by GregP42 »

bangbangping wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:46 pm Well done. Not many people shooting round balls any more. But yeah, they still work.
BBP,

Yea, I still like my round balls. It was drizzling rain that morning or I would have had the flintlock out like I did on Saturday.

Greg
NRA Life member
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

GregP42 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:54 am Well this weekend was muzzle loader here in Kentucky, Saturday was a bust with nothing showing all day.
Sunday was drizzling rain in the morning. About a hour or so after sunrise I had a small racked 8 point wonder out about 15 yards from where I was standing in the middle of the old farm road, he stood there eating the tall weeds while I watched him. So after a few minuets of him eating and me watching I decided meat was meat and touched off a round into him. He was facing me and slightly down hill, shot him through the left side of his neck angling back into the body. He dropped right there and didn't even twitch.

The ball turned the lungs into mush and took out the heart. That was the bad part, no fresh heart to cook up. Good was the ball didn't go into the guts. 80gr of 3fg pushing patched round ball, still works just fine.

Now to see if I can get a couple of does to finish filling the freezer.

Greg

Nice work there Greg! That guy will eat for sure :)
GregP42
Silent Operator

Post by GregP42 »

tallburnedmidget wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:18 am Nice work there Greg! That guy will eat for sure :)
Yep, got 56 pounds of burger and the back straps, and tenderloins out of it. He has been tasty so far :mrgreen: :D

Greg
NRA Life member