Can you have fliers with a suppressor without a strike?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Gundigest

Can you have fliers with a suppressor without a strike?

Post by Gundigest »

Can a suppressor cause fliers without a battle strike or any type of contact? I posted in the bolt action rifle section about MOA and sub MOA groups with some 8-12” fliers in the middle. I have no evidence of contact. Use the suppressor on 3 other guns without fliers. I have never read anything about fliers without contact.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Can you have fliers with a suppressor without a strike?

Post by dellet »

If it was anything other than a strike, I would expect it to be repeatable. If it was a strike I would expect it to show up in the holes in the target. Since it is not happening without the suppressor, it’s related.

As mentioned in the other thread, check alignment. It may be off enough that what would normally be 1/2” flyer is kissing the suppressor enough time to throw it out 8” at the target.

The other thing you might do is check for stability at 10-20 yards. It’s possible that the bullets are wobbling out of the muzzle and “going to sleep” by the time the reach the target, appearing stable.

Next time you have a flyer, stop shooting until you inspect the suppressor. You might find a shiny spot or rubbed spot in the carbon that disappears with the next shot.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

It might be beneficial to know the caliber, bullet weight and rate of twist in the barrel.

Hey Dellet,
Could an incorrect seating depth be causing the bullet to "wobble" in the barrel and striking the can as it exits the barrel?
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

If it's random, and only happens with the suppressor on, anything is possible.

My guess is that it is an occasional very light strike, or something loose. Like the barrel, scope handgaurd or whatever.

If it's a very light strike, you might be able to pick up the wobble at shorter distance. If that is confirmed then bore alignment could very well be the issue. You might be safe with anything less than a 1.5 MOA load, but a 2 MOA load has enough dispersion that it occasionally contacts. This might also show up with longer bullets moving slower. More surface area and longer in the can giving more time to contact due to barrel movement and recoil.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Gundigest

Post by Gundigest »

I’ll try to get a rod that will work to check it. All ammo was supersonic 120-125 gr except one load that was supersonic 150gr.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Gundigest wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:18 am Can a suppressor cause fliers without a battle strike or any type of contact?
My first 300 BLK suppressor experience was with a CMMG barrel in which the bore and threads were not concentric. (Of course I didn't check it until after problems showed up) I was shooting cast bullets, and at 50 yards could put four in an inch or so and the 5th could be off a foot or more. Never saw a mark on the suppressor, so I don't know if there was slight contact or it was just close enough that the uneven gas deflected the bullet. I imagine it wouldn't take much contact to throw a bullet off 8" or so at 100 as you're seeing.

If I remember correctly, most of my fliers were off in the same direction.
Gundigest

Post by Gundigest »

The alignment rod is touching the endcap. Also scraped some carbon off where the rod contacts and there is copper from Bullet contact. My 9mm suppressor on the same gun is perfectly centered with the rod. It looks like most of it is in the 5/8 direct thread mount. Alignment looks better with the 5/8 to 1/2 adaptor with the 1/2 direct thread adapter.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Gundigest wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:07 pm The alignment rod is touching the endcap.
You were skeptical. :|

Glad you got it worked out.
Gundigest

Post by Gundigest »

I was skeptical. I have used the suppressor on other guns with no fliers. And the fliers I was getting were random.
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

I had this happen to me. It was the fault of the barrel in my case, not the suppressor. Another problem people have is using the compression ring that comes with a flash hidder on factory AR rifles. They may throw the can out of alignment.
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.