WTK - Experience with Sig Sauer ELITE 300BLK HT ammo

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

lightscout

WTK - Experience with Sig Sauer ELITE 300BLK HT ammo

Post by lightscout »

In preparation for the upcoming whitetail season, I've been searching for some 300BLK hunting ammo. Was pretty much set on the Barnes VOR-TX offering but they aren't cheap and I haven't found a ton of them locally. Just recently, I found some of this stuff in stock at a few local stores. 120gr all-copper bullets that are a good bit less $$$ than the Barnes. Anyone have any experience with them? My intent is to use them in a 9" SBR on whitetail deer at ranges less than 100yds.
GreenPig

Re: WTK - Experience with Sig Sauer ELITE 300BLK HT ammo

Post by GreenPig »

In my Ruger 10.5" they feed/eject perfectly and shoot consistent groups. Unfortunately the groups are 4 to 5"@ 50 yards, so they're off my list for hunting deer & pigs.
middle man

Post by middle man »

I’ve shot some in a 16” carbine with a suppressor. Best I can recall, without my data notes, the velocity was zippy and accuracy was fair. I recall some odd point of impact variations, but I can’t rule out other (shooter) related factors causing the shifts. One thing for sure, in my carbine, the fired cases exhibited some pressure signs (serious ejector marks). That combined with the higher than anticipated velocity and mediocre accuracy led me to rule it out in favor of my reloads for deer season.
avant4me
Silent Operator

Post by avant4me »

It's been awhile since I've shot mine.
But I don't recall getting 5" groups at 50 yards.

I'm shooting 8.5" pistol configuration with 2-7x Nikon
I think I was under 3" but can't recall for sure.

I'll be back to the range here in the next week or so and let ya know how it went
lightscout

Post by lightscout »

Anyone actually kill anything with them? Just due to time constraints I'm going to give them a go this year. Fingers crossed...
lightscout

Post by lightscout »

Was able to get out and do some comparison shooting last week. After my first experience with these, I wasn't sure if it was the rifle, the scope, or the ammo. I picked up another box of this ammo, along with Hornady and Winchester ballistic tip stuff. I zeroed 3 different scopes with plain-jane PPU FMJ loads. I then shot all 3 test loads in the same upper using 3 different scopes. This Sig Ammo grouped the poorest (as in 3" at 50yds) of the 3 loads. Also, the groups were consistently high and right with each scope used. I really had high hopes this would be good for hunting but it's a no-go for me and my 9" AAC upper.