Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

hogcaller
Silent Operator

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Post by hogcaller »

Just put in an order for another 100 bullets. I really haven't had the opportunity to try to get a super accurate load. May not even fool with it and just leave this "minute-of-pig" load alone. They seem to be doing fine.
"Sometimes you just gotta hunker down and take it like a jackass in a hail storm!"----Lyndon B. Johnson
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

There are 2 rifles that I would like to take a deer with this year, one is my M7 6x45. Already have the 85 gr. Nosler Partition load for it. Would love to get the 80 gr TTSX shooting to suit me. The other is my CZ 527 in 300 BLK with the 150 GD. Hogcaller has got me fairly fired up to take it first.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

My oldest son and his buddy came in for the weekend from college and were wanting to do a little hog hunting. We killed 2 boars, both in the 200 lb class. The first one was shot a through the front shoulder, breaking tons of bone before making a complete pass through......again, no bullet recovery. The second was a spinal shot that dropped him instantly......no bullet recovery. I've hunted with the 125 grain SST, 125 grain Nos Ballistic tip, 110 grain Nosler Varmageddon, 125 grain Speer TNT, and even the 150 grain Nosler Partition. The 150 grain Gold Dot has surpassed them all as far as I'm concerned. This is a dang good hunting bullet and the price is hard to beat!

"Sometimes you just gotta hunker down and take it like a jackass in a hail storm!"----Lyndon B. Johnson
lilMAC25

Post by lilMAC25 »

Thanks guys for all the testing and data.

Midway has the 150 GD for 300AAC on sale and and when combined with the ongoing Speer rebate the projectiles are at about $0.20/ea if you buy 400.

Now I have to scrape together some $$ to buy a #8 can of that Shooters World D063.02. All I have right now is H110 for 110 gr pills. Also need to buy/rig a powder drop tube.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Haven't gotten field use yet but after shooting a bunch of cast, tried 2 gds, 100 yds. Almost a single hole. 19 gr cfe blk.
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

Got another 200 pound boar last night. First shot was quartering away at 75 yards. Bullet entered around the 7th rib and didn't exit. When I approached the hog he was still kicking. I used this opportunity to fire one round into the vitals at around 10 feet. The bullet passed through and I recovered this bullet 8" deep in the soil. I didn't recover the initial bullet as it was already late and I had to get up and get to work early this morning. Anyway, here's a pic of the hog and the bullet.

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Is that hog’s name “Bernie”.

I think you just drag that same poor dead pig around taking pictures of him every other night.

Do you charge people to pose and be photographed with him?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

dellet wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:21 am Is that hog’s name “Bernie”.

I think you just drag that same poor dead pig around taking pictures of him every other night.

Do you charge people to pose and be photographed with him?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, they do all look the same in these parts. Occasionally we do get a spotted one.
lilMAC25

Post by lilMAC25 »

I cross posted this to the AR15.com reloading section.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/300B ... 1#i5184711

@dellet I used your pics (crediting you) and added captions. Feel free to steal them back.
svh
Silent But Deadly

Post by svh »

I've been following, and read this whole thread, and just got 200 of these projectiles, so I'm fixin to start loading some up for deer season. I can't wait to try these out on a few whitetail soon.

I fabricated, and played around with a drop tube, 1680, and case volume this morning, and plan to start putting thing together this evening. I've never loaded with a compressed load before, and have a few questions.

I noted Dellet posted somewhere in this thread, to let the loaded rounds with the compressed 1680 sit for a couple of days, to see if the pressure of the compressed powder will push the projectile out, increasing COAL. Right now, I only just remove the bell from the case mouth. These will be tested, and used in an RAR.

My questions are :

Am I worrying about this too much ?

How common is this with this particular reload ?

Is there any concern for this happening after say, 1 day ? 2 days ? A year ?

If this occurs, is there any remedies ? Tighter crimp ?

Thank you for your replies.
Cheech, my best friend of 16 years, RIP.
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.