Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

hogcaller
Silent Operator

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Post by hogcaller »

dellet wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:24 pm
bearcatrp wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:17 pm
dellet wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:46 am On a personal note, I do a lot of testing at my own expense because I enjoy it, and don’t mind sharing the results. What I do mind is people that offer nothing to the conversation except requests for more testing or load data simply because they are either too lazy and cheap to do it themselves or lacking the knowledge to understand what has already been presented.
Real nice comment Dellet. You see, when your disabled and on a real tight budget, some of us don't have deep pockets you apparently have. We have to watch every penny spent. So before we spend what we can, research and ask questions before I spend what I can. But I guess on this forum that's not good enough for folks like you. But thanks anyways for your remark. Have a good day.
That's a garbage answer and a complete deflection with a refusal to take any responsibility for yourself. You know I go out of my way to help people no matter who they are and you also know I don't put up with crap.

Here's your second post in this thread where it was clear you had not read it.
bearcatrp wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:31 pm Thanks Dellet. Anyone have any gel tests or hog kills with the 150? Didn't think you could get them fast enough to expand good.
It may cost money to develop a load and test bullets, but it is free to read the 30+ pages of info in this thread. No one can hold your head to the screen and read it for you.

So back to my original statement that boils down to 3 different reasons for your questions, I am only willing to help you with 1 or 2. The third is all on you. You don't understand something, you don't have the money, you're not willing

I can help you understand anything in this thread that does not make sense.

I could probably send you some bullets to test yourself.

The part I can't help you with is the willingness to learn or read what has already been documented.

If there is not enough info already in this thread to determine that this bullet is worth using, you need to test it yourself. Because clearly the people who have tested it already, don't have a clue what they are doing, or you don't trust their opinion.

I look forward to seeing YOUR test results.
Dellet, Rebel....it's all my fault. Next time I have a complete pass through, I'll be sure to get out the metal detector and sweep 200-300 yards behind the pig to try to recover the bullet.....you know, so we can have "real world" data! :lol:
"Sometimes you just gotta hunker down and take it like a jackass in a hail storm!"----Lyndon B. Johnson
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

hogcaller wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:22 am
Dellet, Rebel....it's all my fault. Next time I have a complete pass through, I'll be sure to get out the metal detector and sweep 200-300 yards behind the pig to try to recover the bullet.....you know, so we can have "real world" data! :lol:

slacker! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

masblackbelt wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:02 am I, for one, really appreciate all the work and documentation that Dellet and Rebel have done on this projectile. Really everyone else who has contributed as well. I have ordered up 200 projectiles to load up my self, and hope to be able to do some testing this hunting season. With a child due in 3 weeks though, I'm afraid my time in the woods may be minimal this season. With what I've seen here though, the round looks very promising. I believe it will open up potential for the cartridge to take slightly larger game than the Barnes TacTX.
Hey, don't give me any credit. All I did was load it over dellets recommendation of squished 1680, which I really like. A little more tweaking needed to take out some vertical but that won't take much. Give credit where it's due, the man who tested it and started the thread. And to the folks that have reported the kills with it, like hogcaller and others.
Appreciate the comment but there is not much I have contributed in this thread.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

One point needing another mention on the GD 150's, they are a darn accurate bullet! Under that squished load of 1680, my 100 yd test groups of 3 shots were .500 or less( 2 touching, one tucked in for .435) CFE BLK with the same charge was nearly as accurate, just needed a magnum primer. A few more trials have continued to impress me on the design of this slick pill. This was all in my RARR, the 10" AR pistol likes them as well, though using a 2 MOA dot at 100, groups are about MOA.
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

More "real world" data......still no recovered bullet. :cry: I got to say, this is hands-down my favorite hunting bullet for the 300 BO. This was a 225 lb boar and the bullet passed completely through even at 165 yards. They hit hard, open up, and penetrate. The shot was a bit back, but it did drop him and I did have to take a head shot when I got up to him. I did add another pic of the exit this time......big enough to put my thumb in.

"Sometimes you just gotta hunker down and take it like a jackass in a hail storm!"----Lyndon B. Johnson
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

hogcaller wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:00 am More "real world" data......still no recovered bullet. :cry: I got to say, this is hands-down my favorite hunting bullet for the 300 BO. This was a 225 lb boar and the bullet passed completely through even at 165 yards. They hit hard, open up, and penetrate. The shot was a bit back, but it did drop him and I did have to take a head shot when I got up to him. I did add another pic of the exit this time......big enough to put my thumb in.

So how far did he travel after a “bad hit”?

Did you hit spine or was he dead but just to dumb to know it, requiring the second shot?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

Dropped and thrashed around and after a few seconds went still. As I got to him, he started thrashing around more so I put another in his head. I'm guessing that first shot probably disrupted the spinal column due to the shock from the bullet? His front end was still pretty lively.....back end, not so much. I think he would have died within a minute or so, I just like to make sure they're dead ASAP. Pretty sure it was a liver shot, might have clipped the back side of the lungs.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

hogcaller wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:10 am Dropped and thrashed around and after a few seconds went still. As I got to him, he started thrashing around more so I put another in his head. I'm guessing that first shot probably disrupted the spinal column due to the shock from the bullet? His front end was still pretty lively.....back end, not so much. I think he would have died within a minute or so, I just like to make sure they're dead ASAP. Pretty sure it was a liver shot, might have clipped the back side of the lungs.
How are you ranging your shots?

From your load data and that distance, impact is probably 1650- 1700 fps. I have tried to be pretty reserved in what I thought this bullets performance might be. I think your results are showing it might be performing a bit better.

Or maybe Texas hogs just ain't that tough. :mrgreen:
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

dellet wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:36 am
hogcaller wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:10 am Dropped and thrashed around and after a few seconds went still. As I got to him, he started thrashing around more so I put another in his head. I'm guessing that first shot probably disrupted the spinal column due to the shock from the bullet? His front end was still pretty lively.....back end, not so much. I think he would have died within a minute or so, I just like to make sure they're dead ASAP. Pretty sure it was a liver shot, might have clipped the back side of the lungs.

From your load data and that distance, impact is probably 1650- 1700 fps. I have tried to be pretty reserved in what I thought this bullets performance might be. I think your results are showing it might be performing a bit better.

Nikon 550 rangefinder. Now, before the shot I have no idea how far they are. Extremely difficult to determine range and size through a thermal scope. My scope isn't a fancy one. Some come with rangefinder.....mine didn't. My calculations show about the same as far as impact velocity. Do you know if Speer has published minimum expansion velocity data?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

hogcaller wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:37 am
dellet wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:36 am

Nikon 550 rangefinder. Now, before the shot I have no idea how far they are. Extremely difficult to determine range and size through a thermal scope. My scope isn't a fancy one. Some come with rangefinder.....mine didn't. My calculations show about the same as far as impact velocity. Do you know if Speer has published minimum expansion velocity data?
I don't know what Speer says, but I posted this back on page 8

1650, 1450, 1350 fps

This one was 1475 and still penetrated more than 20" while tumbling

Nice that you are in a target rich area and can share live results, it's a really valuable addition to the thread. Thanks for doing that