Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

popper
Silent But Deadly

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Post by popper »

Getting 1850ish with 19gr CFE BLK behind the G.D. 18" carbine. Head shot there with good expansion indicates it will perform well. Neck muscles are pretty stout. Hope to get a chance to compare 145gr cast against the G.D. on a hog this fall but need to get the G.D. up to 2K..
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

What, the gel test? saw that. Lets see real world tests instead of gel.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

bearcatrp wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:26 pm What, the gel test? saw that. Lets see real world tests instead of gel.
Is that not a dead pig on the previous page? I'd pretty much call that real world.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

bearcatrp wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:26 pm What, the gel test? saw that. Lets see real world tests instead of gel.
I did my part, I’m waiting on you to do yours. :mrgreen:

If you’ve read through the thread there have been about half a dozen clean kills written up. No bullets recovered because they have all passed through. Including one that passed through the offside shoulder.

The first post shows a bullet that fully expanded in the first few inches and penetrated 22” with an impact velocity less than 1700 fps. And a double caliber permanent cavity. You will either need a large animal or shoot one front to back to recover a bullet.

Considering that a good size Mule deer is only about 18” high in the chest cavity, and I don’t ever remember seeing one wider in the chest than it was tall, it’s unlikely that a bullet will not exit on a properly placed shot.

Maybe hogcaller can put a controlled round or two into a big boar he’s not planning on eating at some point.

On a personal note, I do a lot of testing at my own expense because I enjoy it, and don’t mind sharing the results. What I do mind is people that offer nothing to the conversation except requests for more testing or load data simply because they are either too lazy and cheap to do it themselves or lacking the knowledge to understand what has already been presented.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

dellet wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:46 am On a personal note, I do a lot of testing at my own expense because I enjoy it, and don’t mind sharing the results. What I do mind is people that offer nothing to the conversation except requests for more testing or load data simply because they are either too lazy and cheap to do it themselves or lacking the knowledge to understand what has already been presented.
Real nice comment Dellet. You see, when your disabled and on a real tight budget, some of us don't have deep pockets you apparently have. We have to watch every penny spent. So before we spend what we can, research and ask questions before I spend what I can. But I guess on this forum that's not good enough for folks like you. But thanks anyways for your remark. Have a good day.
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

dellet wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:46 am
Maybe hogcaller can put a controlled round or two into a big boar he’s not planning on eating at some point.
I shot another hog at 100 yards broadside last night......complete pass through again. It won't be pretty, but the next one I kill, I will lay it out and use as a test dummy for a Texas heart shot. I should have thought of this earlier...... :oops:
"Sometimes you just gotta hunker down and take it like a jackass in a hail storm!"----Lyndon B. Johnson
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

bearcatrp wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:17 pm
dellet wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:46 am On a personal note, I do a lot of testing at my own expense because I enjoy it, and don’t mind sharing the results. What I do mind is people that offer nothing to the conversation except requests for more testing or load data simply because they are either too lazy and cheap to do it themselves or lacking the knowledge to understand what has already been presented.
Real nice comment Dellet. You see, when your disabled and on a real tight budget, some of us don't have deep pockets you apparently have. We have to watch every penny spent. So before we spend what we can, research and ask questions before I spend what I can. But I guess on this forum that's not good enough for folks like you. But thanks anyways for your remark. Have a good day.
That's a garbage answer and a complete deflection with a refusal to take any responsibility for yourself. You know I go out of my way to help people no matter who they are and you also know I don't put up with crap.

Here's your second post in this thread where it was clear you had not read it.
bearcatrp wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:31 pm Thanks Dellet. Anyone have any gel tests or hog kills with the 150? Didn't think you could get them fast enough to expand good.
It may cost money to develop a load and test bullets, but it is free to read the 30+ pages of info in this thread. No one can hold your head to the screen and read it for you.

So back to my original statement that boils down to 3 different reasons for your questions, I am only willing to help you with 1 or 2. The third is all on you. You don't understand something, you don't have the money, you're not willing

I can help you understand anything in this thread that does not make sense.

I could probably send you some bullets to test yourself.

The part I can't help you with is the willingness to learn or read what has already been documented.

If there is not enough info already in this thread to determine that this bullet is worth using, you need to test it yourself. Because clearly the people who have tested it already, don't have a clue what they are doing, or you don't trust their opinion.

I look forward to seeing YOUR test results.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I didn't really understand what you meant by "real world". Perhaps you should have said, recovered bullet from an animal. If they are passing through, and the animal dies in a quick, humane manner - that, coupled with the gel test dellet performed, says all I need it to say. Yes, he shot the gel first, downloaded as it should have been. So I felt no need to perform that test.
I'm not going to get into a pissing contest about who is on a tighter budget, suffice to say I am not rich and I happen to know dellet isn't exactly J.P. Morgan either. I have gel, bought it a while back and used it a few times. It's an off colored 2cd block that costs a lot less. I guess if it was a matter of paying the power bill and that, a few bullets and a bit of powder, I understand.
However, phrasing the statement, real world results is ....well, kinda does show a lack of confidence in results after following this forum and it's content.
It's like looking at this picture......
.... and asking me if the 53 gr. Hornady was recovered from that ground hog.Since it wasn't, somehow that is not real world.

Remember - there is no degree or percentage of dead. Dead is absolute.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

rebel wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:04 pm
Remember - there is no degree or percentage of dead. Dead is absolute.
sometimes you can have Mostly dead...

but then of course...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
masblackbelt

Post by masblackbelt »

I, for one, really appreciate all the work and documentation that Dellet and Rebel have done on this projectile. Really everyone else who has contributed as well. I have ordered up 200 projectiles to load up my self, and hope to be able to do some testing this hunting season. With a child due in 3 weeks though, I'm afraid my time in the woods may be minimal this season. With what I've seen here though, the round looks very promising. I believe it will open up potential for the cartridge to take slightly larger game than the Barnes TacTX.
You learn something new everyday when you're as dumb as I am...