Upper build

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Jesse Heywood

Upper build

Post by Jesse Heywood »

I'm wanting to build an upper. Nothing fancy. 11-12" barrel. Not a high dollar build, by any means. Would like some recommendations on what to use and where to buy the parts. I'm a decent basic smith and mechanically inclined, but have never built an upper. Thanks.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Upper build

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Jesse Heywood wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:08 pm I'm wanting to build an upper. Nothing fancy. 11-12" barrel. Not a high dollar build, by any means. Would like some recommendations on what to use and where to buy the parts. I'm a decent basic smith and mechanically inclined, but have never built an upper. Thanks.
If you are talking about buying parts and ASSEMBLING then https://palmettostatearmory.com/ and https://www.masdefense.com/ were my go-to shops back in the day. They had great deals and quality.

If you are wanting to machine a barrel and receiver etc. I can't really give any input there. I've never done that stuff I have only assembled forged and machined parts that just needed to be put together to make my firearms.

I hope this info helps! :)
Jesse Heywood

Post by Jesse Heywood »

Not looking to machine. I've done some business with PSA. The Mas Defense looks like a good source. Thanks
masblackbelt

Post by masblackbelt »

I think a couple of the most important things are definitely 1) the gas block install, and 2) the barrel/barrel nut install. For the gas block, if using a set screw gas block, I’d purchase an SLR Rifleworks dimpling jig. It’ll help you along the block and keep it from moving. Also properly clean it, and apply a high temperature threadlocker called Rocksett. Next, the barrel nut install. Basically you need to own a decent torque wrench, and know how to use it (tighten, loosen, tighten routine). Also a good way to secure the upper, I like the Magpul Bev Block. And make sure you use the appropriate grease on the barrel extension and threads (Aeroshell 33ms). I think if you research those to areas, you’ll be golden. Notice I put the gas block first, as I believe this is one of the highest failure rate areas among home builders. Good luck, and have fun!
You learn something new everyday when you're as dumb as I am...
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

What caliber and whether or not it would be suppressed?
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.