Need a light weight, skinny suppressor for 9mm

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Ricrock

Need a light weight, skinny suppressor for 9mm

Post by Ricrock »

Hello, I am about to get a silencer for my 9mm AR pistol and I want to be able to switch it from the 9mm to my 300 BLK pistol also. The issue is the handguard on the 9mm will only allow a 2.4"o.d. muzzle device under it. I could change out the handguard, but I don't really want to do that. The 300 BLK is no problem since it's handguard does not cover the MD. I want the silencer to be direct thread and as light as possible. Are there any solutions out there besides the Dead Air Odesssa-9 (It's 1.1" and ugly)?
noname
Silent Operator

Re: Need a light weight, skinny suppressor for 9mm

Post by noname »

Don't really have a recommendation other than stay away from aluminum. Aluminum in a can is really hard to clean without damaging the suppressor. I made the mistake of getting a lightweight, aluminum can for my .22 and it has been a nightmare cleaning it.
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Ricrock wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:14 pm Hello, I am about to get a silencer for my 9mm AR pistol and I want to be able to switch it from the 9mm to my 300 BLK pistol also. The issue is the handguard on the 9mm will only allow a 2.4"o.d. muzzle device under it. I could change out the handguard, but I don't really want to do that. The 300 BLK is no problem since it's handguard does not cover the MD. I want the silencer to be direct thread and as light as possible. Are there any solutions out there besides the Dead Air Odesssa-9 (It's 1.1" and ugly)?
I am thinking that the 2.4" OD muzzle device is a typo. Even the old style 2" OD freefloat tubes aren't that large on the outside.

And I will like to add, interior volume (meaning area and not sound) is your friend. As well as added length.

The longer and fatter a suppressor is, the better it sounds (if you have a good design in the first place).

There are a few 1.37"'ish OD 9mm cans out there, but typically, larger cans sound better, which is the whole purpose of suppressing a gun.

If you cannot fit a quality suppressor under the handguard, and you're unwilling or unable to change it, you're cutting yourself short by compromising on the quality of can that you're getting just because you don't want to change your handguard. That's like buying a corvette only to put a 4 cylinder engine in it because you want better mpg. :lol:

Also, if your handguard is 1.4" ID (I'm guessing that is what you meant the ID was since I think you had the typo) and you installed a 1.37" ish OD suppressor, there will not be enough room to mount rails or anything either because there will be insufficient room for the screws and bolts.

If your SLIM handguard is smaller than 1.39'ish inches inside diameter, you're not going to find much of a good commercial 9mm can to fit under there and your options for a home made one are going to be limited and with poor performance too.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
ggilmoreinbox

Post by ggilmoreinbox »

Liberty Mystic-X 1.37" Huge caliber list.