Light cast bullet to mimic Barnes TAC-TX 110's

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

glutton

Light cast bullet to mimic Barnes TAC-TX 110's

Post by glutton »

First, I reload pistol fodder. Cast and PC the projectiles. I also reload for my 300bo with a factory bullets that I like. The one my rifle likes the best are the 110gr Barnes supers in 110gr. As most of you know, those are not cheap.

I would like to cast some light weight and cheap range fodder plinkers for this rifle. I powder coat and I now have a lead hardness tester. Do any mold makers produce a mold in these lighter range bullets? I will never go the subsonic/suppressor route with this rifle and it shoots those light 110 Barnes bullets quite accurately and they cycle perfectly. I'd also prefer a light bullet with the same (or near same) length/meplat shape as the TAC-TX.
glutton

Re: Light cast bullet to mimic Barnes TAC-TX 110's

Post by glutton »

Posted this over two weeks ago. No replies? Bumping one more time.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

glutton wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:06 pm First, I reload pistol fodder. Cast and PC the projectiles. I also reload for my 300bo with a factory bullets that I like. The one my rifle likes the best are the 110gr Barnes supers in 110gr. As most of you know, those are not cheap.

I would like to cast some light weight and cheap range fodder plinkers for this rifle. I powder coat and I now have a lead hardness tester. Do any mold makers produce a mold in these lighter range bullets? I will never go the subsonic/suppressor route with this rifle and it shoots those light 110 Barnes bullets quite accurately and they cycle perfectly. I'd also prefer a light bullet with the same (or near same) length/meplat shape as the TAC-TX.
glutton wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:00 pm Posted this over two weeks ago. No replies? Bumping one more time.
Basically you have made an impossible request.

If you duplicate the shape of the Barnes, the bullet will weigh around 130-140 grains and the tip will be fragile. Will likely bend while feeding or slump in flight. So besides not having the same Ballistics, accuracy or speed, it probably won’t feed worth a damn.

If you go with a 110 grain lead bullet that will feed, it will not have near the same drop at any distance past 50 yards. Add to that not knowing your barrel length, it may difficult to get a cast bullet to hold up at 2400 fps.

There are some lighter molds out there, I put they will not mimic the 110 Barnes in any way
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bwframe

Post by bwframe »

Wonder how far off a 135ish gr powder coated cast boolit would be from the Tac-TX 110's at a 25 or 50 yard zero?

Obviously farther distance would separate them a lot, but I wonder if knowledge of the different impacts would be usable for range work at closer distances?
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

POI is a function of fps & BC. At 25 & 50 you won't see any real difference. I use a 145gr PB for my plinking, er, paper targets, still good at 100. One problem with the light bullets, cast or jax, seating depth. almost nothing in the neck or a huge jump. No, you won't get anything form wise to the 110Vamx or tx110 that will work. Hornady plinkers 100gr work with pistol powder but won't cycle pistol gas. 145 is the lightest cast I use and still a lot cheaper than jax. I changed to a 145gc for hunting as I can use softer alloy - still 13$/100. 150BO GD appear cheaper than 125SST but you get 50 (vs 100) in a box. They do shoot well!
glutton

Post by glutton »

Basically you have made an impossible request.

If you duplicate the shape of the Barnes, the bullet will weigh around 130-140 grains and the tip will be fragile. Will likely bend while feeding or slump in flight. So besides not having the same Ballistics, accuracy or speed, it probably won’t feed worth a damn.

If you go with a 110 grain lead bullet that will feed, it will not have near the same drop at any distance past 50 yards. Add to that not knowing your barrel length, it may difficult to get a cast bullet to hold up at 2400 fps.

There are some lighter molds out there, I put they will not mimic the 110 Barnes in any way
Your answer makes total sense. I cast/PC my own pistol fodder, but I did not think about how much bullet mass is taken up with polymer on the Barnes 110's.
glutton

Post by glutton »

popper wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:14 pm POI is a function of fps & BC. At 25 & 50 you won't see any real difference. I use a 145gr PB for my plinking, er, paper targets, still good at 100. One problem with the light bullets, cast or jax, seating depth. almost nothing in the neck or a huge jump. No, you won't get anything form wise to the 110Vamx or tx110 that will work. Hornady plinkers 100gr work with pistol powder but won't cycle pistol gas. 145 is the lightest cast I use and still a lot cheaper than jax. I changed to a 145gc for hunting as I can use softer alloy - still 13$/100. 150BO GD appear cheaper than 125SST but you get 50 (vs 100) in a box. They do shoot well!
glutton

Post by glutton »

Well, ignore the previous reply...I'm new to this board, so I screwed the pooch in that last one. :lol:

I was curious about the 145 grain mold you mentioned. Who makes it? Do you PC those? Do you gas check them?

Just looking for a reliable cast/PC'd bullet that will be easiest on my lead supply. I'm set up to harvest/cut/reform once fired .223 brass. Looking for a homemade bullet to stuff in those for reliable, cheap plinking.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

I use a 31-142C (D for GC) Trying to find a powder that will cycle AR at 1400 fps or so. I can run them fast with H110 or Rx7. cfeblk has lots of gas but burns terrible at low case fill.