BoomerVF14
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hans Solo Blackout?

Post by BoomerVF14 »

Can't resist.

armedferret

Post by armedferret »

Got my barrel shortened. Gonna wait and see if/how it shoots before worrying about spending any more turning it down. ;)
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

What is the length of that barrel?
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode, it's not worth shooting.
armedferret

Post by armedferret »

6 inches. :)
armedferret

Post by armedferret »

As an update, 50 yard holes from 208s were a little eggy, so I'm not keen on suppressing those. Loaded some 168 BTHPs to subsonic velocities and they shot great actually. So I'm keeping the barrel and will be turning it down to lighten the front end. Also came across a SMOKIN deal on some finish-blem forged uppers, so one of those will be getting milled out on the left side for my bolt handle. Get rid of this fugly polymer joke. ;)

Not sure if I'll hunt it this season, but definitely gonna try to get it out in the field.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

what kinda velocity are you getting with the 208s?

care to share some of the load details with us?

those are a good projo... shouldnt be too hard to get them to stabilize in a 1:7 twist....
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Check your target backing and support.

I shoot the 208's in a 1/10 twist and they are some of the most accurate bullets I use. They really don't show any stability issues until out past 200 yards.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
armedferret

Post by armedferret »

plant.one wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:05 am what kinda velocity are you getting with the 208s?

those are a good projo... shouldnt be too hard to get them to stabilize in a 1:7 twist....
Theyre right at 1k fps with imr4198 out of my 10.5" sbr (shortest i can go and maintain MD's ridiculous oal shenanigans). Yes the barrel is a 7 twist, but topping the price charts at 49 bucks for the original 16" tube that was cut down (it's a toy pure and simple, i didnt feel like spending 350 bucks and waiting a year and a half for PF to make it) means it may not be exactly 7 twist. ;)

Was only shooting it to see about stabilization that round, wasn't focused on speeds out of it.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

armedferret wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:20 am
plant.one wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:05 am what kinda velocity are you getting with the 208s?

Theyre right at 1k fps with imr4198 out of my 10.5" sbr (shortest i can go and maintain MD's ridiculous oal shenanigans). Yes the barrel is a 7 twist, but topping the price charts at 49 bucks for the original 16" tube that was cut down (it's a toy pure and simple, i didnt feel like spending 350 bucks and waiting a year and a half for PF to make it) means it may not be exactly 7 twist. ;)

Was only shooting it to see about stabilization that round, wasn't focused on speeds out of it.

it doesnt matter what their velocity is in your 10.5" sbr... i was asking about velocity in THIS gun/barrel. just because a load works in one does NOT mean it works in another.... so dont discount a projectile thats unstable in THIS barrel thats fine in another without doing proper load development and testing first.

as mentioned previously - they're a great projectile, and almost everyone who's had stabilization issues with them in the past has been able to correct it by tinkering with the speed a bit.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
armedferret

Post by armedferret »

plant.one wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:31 pm
armedferret wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:20 am

it doesnt matter what their velocity is in your 10.5" sbr... i was asking about velocity in THIS gun/barrel. just because a load works in one does NOT mean it works in another.... so dont discount a projectile thats unstable in THIS barrel thats fine in another without doing proper load development and testing first.

as mentioned previously - they're a great projectile, and almost everyone who's had stabilization issues with them in the past has been able to correct it by tinkering with the speed a bit.
Why would i load up dozens of bullets without first figuring out if they'll stabilize in the gun first? Thats just retarded.

Perhaps youve taken a bit too much of a personal interest in my life, so Ill refrain from publicly sharing any further data on this front since it obviously gets your blood pressure up high enough that you need to chastise me for not living my life the way you think i should.

Calm down and relax a little. It clearly hasnt occurred to you that i very well may have loaded 20 different powder charges, well i to supersonic range, and never got stabilization? Here's a hige life spoiler for you: not every bullet shoots perfectly in every gun. Who cares? Why is it so goddamned important that i use 208s from this single pistol?