Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

hogcaller
Silent Operator

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Post by hogcaller »

dellet wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:22 am
hogcaller wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:49 am Threw together some loads yesterday using formed Winchester brass, CCI Sm Rifle primers, and win296 powder. All were seated to 2.175". Used AR15 16" barrel and shot at 50 yards.

17.3 gr Win296 averaged 1950 fps, 28 SD, .7" at 50 yards
17.8 gr Win296 averaged 1980 fps, 11 SD, .9" at 50 yards

While the groups were ok, I think I'd like to get more velocity. Any suggestions? I used Win296 because it was really all I had on hand and it's been great for 110-125 gr bullets. Wanting to get a good load and test it out on some pigs.
Don't be afraid to move the bullet out and add powder, but take it slow and small. You can push 296 hard, but hen it hits max, it comes on fast and high. Cratered primer to blown primer in .2 grains or less.

100 yards, 2 for sighters then one for score

18.5 grains 11FS
2.095" COL
CCI#41
Norma brass
8" AR 1/5 twist
1890 fps

Same load from a 12" Model 7, 2050 FPS

2.095" COAL seems pretty short to me. I know Speer listed 2.180" as their test length with a max of 17.8. I got no signs of pressure with max, just wasn't sure how much farther I could go, even though 2.180" is pretty long. I think that's about max length to fit in magazine?
"Sometimes you just gotta hunker down and take it like a jackass in a hail storm!"----Lyndon B. Johnson
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

Where is 11FS on the burn rate table as compared to H110 and Win296?
"Sometimes you just gotta hunker down and take it like a jackass in a hail storm!"----Lyndon B. Johnson
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

H110 not good for this bullet? Would rather not use another powder since I have allot of H110.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

hogcaller wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:00 pm Where is 11FS on the burn rate table as compared to H110 and Win296?
I have never seen it on a relative burn rate chart, but if you compare loads in other cartridges, pistol magnums, it's very close.

It seems to be a bit faster with supers, but I have better luck using it with subs. it might be closer to 4227

Accurates load data

https://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-conte ... a_11FS.pdf

I will double check my data tonight to make sure the length is correct, but I pulled it off a target I had posted in another thread. This bullet hits the lands around 2.290" and that leaves .150" bullet in the neck. so if you load to 2.250 easy feeding you will have plenty to hold the bullet.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

bearcatrp wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:33 pm H110 not good for this bullet? Would rather not use another powder since I have allot of H110.
Only way to for me to answer that question is if you ship me your rifle and powder for me to try.

In general I have had better luck with 1680 speed ball powders than H110/296. That's not a top velocity issue it's accuracy. 1680 is certainly easier and probably safer to work with.

You have to understand that I have about 30 different powders that I have worked with for this cartridge. I don't give a rats ass about trying to find one powder that works reasonably well for over 200 different bullets that vary in speed over 2000 fps in 3 different actions styles and 18" of barrel length.

I am looking for sub MOA in every one of those applications tho.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

In regard to 11FS, according to Rob Behr at Western Powders, the relative burn rate is similar to W296. Slower than 4100, their online data for subs has charges very close to what you would see using 296/H110. I personally have not bought any, have been meaning to seek out Dellet for the blessing :P
Rob authors 'Dear Labby' on Westerns web site.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

TRshootem wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:53 pm In regard to 11FS, according to Rob Behr at Western Powders, the relative burn rate is similar to W296. Slower than 4100, their online data for subs has charges very close to what you would see using 296/H110. I personally have not bought any, have been meaning to seek out Dellet for the blessing :P
Rob authors 'Dear Labby' on Westerns web site.
It's an interesting powder for sure.

It seems to take a little less powder to reach the same speed as 296 with supers and just as temperamental on the high end so faster.

It cycles more reliable than 296 so acts slower.

The main thing is the "FS" in shorter barrels seems to work well, especially suppressed, so for the night hunters it's worth a try.
No. 11FS is intended for full-power loads in magnum handguns and smaller capacity rifle cartridges. This double-base spherical propellant was developed with an eye toward personal defense and incorporates a flash-suppressant that substantially reduces muzzle signature in low light conditions. In the 300 Blackout, No. 11FS is capable of extremely high velocities with lighter bullets, making it the best propellant choice for shooters looking to maximize downrange performance. Made in the USA
I have had exceptional accuracy results with supers.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Have never seen this powder on the store shelves. Mail order only?
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

Yesterday, I took a couple of the 17.8 gr W296 handloads and shot them through the thermal to see where they were hitting at 75 yards compared to the 110 gr Varmageddon loads that I'd been using in hopes of finding a hog to test them on. POI was the same, so I was good to go. I set up 2 large 2 gallon jugs and one gallon milk jug (all I had on hand), filled with water and shot into them. There was 34" total depth. I shot them at 50 yards in hopes of catching a bullet. I had a complete pass through and didn't recover the bullet. The milk jug was first in line and was completely obliterated, which typically coincides with great expansion or fragmentation. Next time I'll make sure I have more milk jugs. lol Went out hog hunting and did find a big herd of smaller hogs. They were to my downwind side and took off about the time I spotted them through the thermal. Will hopefully find a good test subject this week.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Confirmed loaded length of 2.095" with 18.5 grains 11FS. That puts the bullet .025" above the powder.

This bullet can and will work fine with 296/H110, just not my personal 1st choice.

11FS is rare on the shelf, I asked the locals to order. I would rather wait or my products than buy online whenever possible.