Anyone loading for 9x39 yet?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anyone loading for 9x39 yet?

Post by Dr.Phil »

Here is a good video that covers the platform.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXDegzGmXPI

Good luck with your project!
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

OK, was able to get the barrel today (finally after 3 weeks of waiting).

The gas port is pistol length. 10.5" stainless KAK barrel. Port diameter is also the same as the blackouts. .122'ish. I don't have a set of pin gauges so I just used the ears of my digital caliper and that was roughly what my Blk barrel gas port was.

I have not ported the barrel with multiple ports like the Russians have done with the VSS Vintorez though I likely will shortly.

For the time being, I'm going to plug the gas port hole and just shoot it to see how it does with no modifications to the barrel to get a baseline of what the velocity and everything else is.

There is a lot going on right now and I'm not sure when I'll be able to test it, but I'll be testing it with the Wolf ammo for the time being to get a feel for it.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Short term you could always invert a gas block over the port until you know you will be happy with the barrel.

Now the fun begins.............................
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Yeah, that's a good idea Dellet. I'll do that for the time being.

I have several boxes of factory ammo to test and run through. That will work better to turn a gas block around.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I was able to shoot the gun a few times yesterday evening and I'm going to give all my thoughts of it.

1. It is more quiet than the blackout was with commercial ammo straight out of the box. I haven't even started tinkering with anything yet or reloading for it yet. I have no doubt that it is going to be a very quiet gun when I am finished with it.

2. Magazines are the main problem right now. I haven't found a magazine that will let me load more than 4 rounds reliably without swelling the magazine body so much that I cant' insert the mag or remove it by hand.

I will say that if I take the upper off and load it with the magazine seated, I can top load the magazine ALMOST to the stated capacity of the magazine. But, anyone with a semiauto is NOT going to want to do that.

But, I did want to throw that out there. It's a lot like the 6.8spc when they were coming out before Cproducts made an appropriate magazine for them.

3. The bolt was very hard to close yesterday evening. I was speaking with one of my buddies today and he mentioned that he took out the rubber buffer out of his extractor on his semi AR. I did the same thing to this one a while ago and it closes much better now.

I was able to close the bolt, but with the rubber buffer under the extractor, took a considerable more amount of force than should've been necessary. But once I removed it, I admit that I am looking forward to shooting it again when I get the first chance.

You'll be able to hear the "snap" in the video of the extractor going over the rim if you watch the video in a few minutes. It was the loudest part of the action. And why I included it in the video.

And I think finally, on another note, I am going to chamfer the edge of the slot that I milled for the bolt handle because I walked away bleeding from my thumb and my left pointer finger both from being sliced open while rubbing up against the slot like a razor. That's totally my fault, but it is going to get a very healthy chamfer with Mr. Dremel before I take it back out the next time. Even if I do have to refinish the receiver when I get done. I don't like vampire parts.

Anyway, here's a short 30 second video showing what it sounded like. The camera was about 3 1/2 feet to the right of the muzzle of the gun for reference.

And like I said, I haven't done anything to port the barrel, no wipe in the suppressor or anything. This was straight out off of my workbench with one of my F1 9mm suppressors on it. In short, it shows a lot of promise and I look forward to seeing what I can do with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asCOtlwmoWE
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

thats pretty sweeeeeeet
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Where are you getting projectiles? I looked at 9x39 a while back, but 9.3mm projectiles are just too much $$$.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I have two earmarked that I would like to try for plinking and general shooting.

1. Cast bullets, similar to the leatherhead bullets that I bought for the blackout.

$47.50/250 http://missouribullet.com/details.php?p ... condary=36

2. Speer Hot cor 270 gr bullets.

Less than $20/50 everywhere that I have found. example: https://www.natchezss.com/speer-hot-cor ... 50-ct.html
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

well, I have been forging ahead with the project some.

I have been able to modify the ASC follower to allow the bullets to seat differently in the magazine, which took the pressure off of the mag body so they don't swell out like they did.

Now, I can fit 18 rounds in a 20 round magazine and actually seat them into the magwell.

I need to take the gun up to the range and sight in the optic. Since it's not going to be a long range gun for me, I opted to use a 1-5x shotgun scope by Bushnell on it.

And finally, the last bit of update that I have is that the Redding die set arrived from KAK late last week. So, I'm a step closer to being able to load for it to see just how quiet that I can get the gun. I'm just not really sure what powder and stuff to buy yet.

I have been going back and forth on whether I want to use a wipe in my suppressor. I know it will reduce the sound levels, but the only way I know how much it will negatively affect the accuracy at the distances that I would normally use the gun is to put a wipe in my can and have a before wipe and after wipe real world, live fire test on paper and see.

But I think that using a fast burning powder, may negate the need to use a wipe.

I also found a video online with a TON of historical background on the concept. The video is about a half hour long, but has a ton of information that I had not known. This may bore a lot of people, but if you like knowing the history of things, you'll probably like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkprsBoImRg
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

A lot has been going on behind the scenes the last few weeks.

A buddy of mine has 3d printed me some followers that we designed for the 9x39 cartridge based on my modifications to the original follower in the ASC mag. The 7.62x39 magazines were simply not working and were exerting too much pressure onto the side of the magazine rather than down onto the follower itself which was causing the mags to swell and not insert or remove.

In fairness, it still doesn't drop free, but inserts and removes easily with just a little tap, which is a huge improvement over before. I couldn't load 6 rounds in the 20 round mag without it swelling so badly that it was near impossible to insert or remove the mag.

D&H has said they plan to release a 9x39 mag this coming shot show, but didn't plan they'd be out any sooner, so these 3d followers will work in the meantime (Thanks Ken !!!!).

I was able to order some Winchester large primers and a pound of Viht N310, which is the fastest burning powder that I can find. So, I hope to have some working handloads next week sometime. I'm also going to try some titegroup loads and will do my best to record how they sound and work through the upper. The n310 is the #2 fastest burning powder, and quickload said it will have no problem achieving full burn in the barrel length, and also showed the least amount of muzzle psi of all the powders that were compared. So, I'm hoping for a very quiet and low (no) flash report, especially with the suppressor. So, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it works out as I hope.

Of course, I'm going to drop about a half a gr of powder charge to start so I'm sure it won't be 1050 fps criteria that was input into the computer program. I can always bump it up more the next set of reloads that I do if I need or want to, but I'm always overly cautious with any new load.