Lehigh Defense Close Quarters

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

BOB567

Lehigh Defense Close Quarters

Post by BOB567 »

Anyone test these yet? I searched...but my search-foo is weak.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019440492?pid=172862

78 grains...I'd think these things would scream and explode well.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Lehigh Defense Close Quarters

Post by tallburnedmidget »

BOB567 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:07 pm Anyone test these yet? I searched...but my search-foo is weak.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019440492?pid=172862

78 grains...I'd think these things would scream and explode well.
Haven't loaded any and I don't have have an application for them but this video should give you some visual info :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1mQtvwEFMM
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Almost a buck a bullet. To much for my cheap arse. I’ll stick with Barnes 110 tac for less than 70 cents a round.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

What is your intended use?

For self defense, I'd like some more gel testing. I like the FBI testing process as it uses real world data and a repeatable testing protocol. A bullet that comes apart and doesn't penetrate enough is, in my opinion, worse than a bullet that penetrates more than the specified minimum 12". It is hard to tell, but the vid says all pieces penetrate less than 16". so it looks like the main wound cavity ends at 8-10 inches or so. This bullet fragments and may not get into the vitals. I am a fan of a bullet that stays together, expands reasonably well, and reaches deep enough to get to vitals. I am not ruling it out, but some independent tests in calibrated gel might be informative.

For hunting, it dumps a lot of oomph into a short would cavity which might work well for lighter game animals up to whitetail size. It would certainly make a mess of deer innards. But it might not yield much of a blood trail. Of course, the 100 blacktip doesn't give much blood either, and it makes a mess of the lungs when placed well.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

BlogSarge wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:48 am What is your intended use?

For self defense, I'd like some more gel testing. I like the FBI testing process as it uses real world data and a repeatable testing protocol. A bullet that comes apart and doesn't penetrate enough is, in my opinion, worse than a bullet that penetrates more than the specified minimum 12". It is hard to tell, but the vid says all pieces penetrate less than 16". so it looks like the main wound cavity ends at 8-10 inches or so. This bullet fragments and may not get into the Target. I am a fan of a bullet that stays together, expands reasonably well, and reaches deep enough to get to vitals. I am not ruling it out, but some independent tests in calibrated gel might be informative.

For hunting, it dumps a lot of oomph into a short would cavity which might work well for lighter game animals up to whitetail size. It would certainly make a mess of deer innards. But it might not yield much of a blood trail. Of course, the 100 blacktip doesn't give much blood either, and it makes a mess of the lungs when placed well.

Thought I'd fix that for you.

The problem with these bullets are that they are fragile and have an incredibly high Minimum velocity, 2350 FPS.

That velocity can be hard to get in a 8" barrel unless you push them hard. if you push them hard they tend to come apart at the muzzle.

I had better luck with this bullet.

https://makerbullets.com/proddetail.php?prod=30085BLK
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Thanks Dellet! I knew you’d be there for me!

I agree on the 85gr Makers. I just got a couple of boxes from Paul. I haven’t had a chance to wring them out but they look like the way to go; high velocity, flatter trajectory and kick butt performance. Of course, I won’t see the velocity you get hand loading, but they should still scream out of my 16” and cook along briskly out of my 8” and even my 6”.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

I'm not knocking your choice but for a super sonic defense load, why use an expensive bullet like that? why not just use a proven hunting bullet like the 125 gr. SST, 125 gr. TNT or 110 gr. Black tip? I could see having to pay big bucks for a sub sonic bullet that would give violent expansion at low speed but there are lots of good inexpensive super sonic bullets out there that haven proven themselves on game. some of which are larger and tougher than a human.
peace through superior firepower
BOB567

Post by BOB567 »

Thanks for the responses. I'm not championing this round. Just curious is all. I'll definatley look at the Makers round. This are for defensive rounds fired inside a dwelling. I have a 10.5" barrel which will someday sport a suppressor (playing the waiting game with ATF). Cost of the round really doesn't come into play. Definatley not a plinking round.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

These might help you some.

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=92631

viewtopic.php?t=94105

It's a good bullet for short range. It has a terrible BC and high expansion velocity. Even at max load it falls below the expansion threshold in about 75 yards.

The good news is that when it works, it works very well. But using "when it works" in a defensive conversation is a problem for me.

Note also that many of the problems may have been corrected by now. But until I could do a mag dump or four with zero failures I would not use them or recommend them as a go to defensive bullet.

Then again I pushed the 110 Varmageddon's to the point of failure as well as some other made for Blackout bullets.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

dellet wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:57 am

It's a good bullet for short range. It has a terrible BC and high expansion velocity. Even at max load it falls below the expansion threshold in about 75 yards.

not many self defense scenerio's would be winnable in court anywhere near 75 yds away.

i'm gonna go out on a limb and say this bullet was probably engineered for use at closer to 75 feet or even less...

so yes.. you're very right that its probably not the best hunting bullet.. but used as intended it probably gets the work done pretty well..
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.